• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bald Eagle in my yard

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Went outside yesterday to mow the lawn.

My dog spotted something towards the woods and went into her “watch” mode.

I looked where she was pointing and saw something on my wood shed. It looked like an injured hawk, laying down. As I got closer, it stood up and it was waaayyy to big to be a hawk so I backed up and called off the dog. I watched it from a distance. It just laid back down. Sat there for at least another hour.

Awhile later, my neighbor saw me outside and came over to tell me he saw an adolescent bald eagle earlier and it swooped down right over his head.

I said “I know, it’s sitting on my woodshed right now”. We took a peek and it was still there. A few minutes later, it took to flight and made about a 500 yard loop and landed in a tree in front of the house. During flight and while sitting in that tree, you could really see how big it was. I’d guess the wingspan was between 6-7’.

After it landed in that tree, it made a couple calls and another eagle replied from somewhere within 100 yards on the other side of the woodshed. I’m assuming it’s mother. Unfortunately, tree density was such we couldn’t get a peek.

After about 5 minutes in the tree and hearing several calls between it and the other eagle, it took to flight and off it went.

Very cool having a bald eagle in your yard and in the area in general.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very Kewl. We saw a couple bald eagles this weekend on the river. Friday evening they were out hunting dinner in a place Ospre used to roam. We had to look close to verify, they were eagles for sure. Then we saw one of them out yesterday mid day. Awesome to have them down this way. Thankfully they are making a great comeback.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Cool. We have quite a few of them up here. My dad and bro were fishing last week and filmed one swooping down and trying to eat their lures.

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
We have bald eagles nest here every year...they start nesting in early January

its fun watching them catch fish right out of the lake.....they seem to come back to the same nest year after year.....at the Bagnal dam look out area they set up scopes for folks to watch the egales every year....we had a nest here on the place...but lighting struck the tree this spring....we are hopeing they build a new nest this comming year......conservation folks say it is a 50/50 chance they will move on sence the nest is gone....:sad:

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
We have bald eagles nest here every year...they start nesting in early January

its fun watching them catch fish right out of the lake.....they seem to come back to the same nest year after year.....at the Bagnal dam look out area they set up scopes for folks to watch the egales every year....we had a nest here on the place...but lighting struck the tree this spring....we are hopeing they build a new nest this comming year......conservation folks say it is a 50/50 chance they will move on sence the nest is gone....:sad:

One of the sites I check regularly is the Decorah Eagle site. They have been videoing the same pair for years. Worth a look.

Baldys are one of the endangered species success stories. I live near the James River near a lake. We see several each year, up from a couple pairs a few years ago.

Glink

Site Supporter
Got a nesting pair about 2 miles from the house here in Southern In. We are about 3 miles north of the Ohio River. Seen them a couple of different times.

Kane

Filthy things are everywhere. Crappin' on the car; scaring the wife; buzzing the dog; eating the neighborhood cats (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Such a comeback!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Where about are you located Kane?

My dog runs about 40# and will fight anything she comes in contact with (except maybe another dog). She doesn't realize that she can lose to some of them.

I figure if the mama in the woods (whom I'm guessing was keeping an eye on her baby) didn't attack my dog, she wasn't fearing for her yearling sitting on my shed.