• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Who owns the 1200 from THE THING?

Mtn-Track

Are you talking about the 1982 version with Kurt Russell?
Here's some info that someone posted a while ago regarding the cats in that film...

Snow Cats/Thiokol in film "The Thing"/Stewart, B.C.

Date: 11/21/02
Time: 7:53:48 PM
Remote Name: 65.93.27.50

Comments

I am trying to locate the Snow Cats and/or Thiokol vehicles that were used in the film "The Thing" (1982) filmed in Stewart, British Columbia. These vehicles were used:
1. A yellow two-seater snow tractor with no plow attached, visible in the shot where the Norwegian helicopter chases the dog past the blue Chevron jet fuel container in the snow. (I believe this may be a Thiokol "Imp" model - I'm trying to verify this)
Edit: I am almost positive this is a Thiokol Imp 1404 standard track. The door shape is about right (it blows open when the helicoper goes past).
2. A yellow Bombardier Skidozer 301 two-seater plow, parked near the outpost helicopter, visible as the Norwegian helicopter circles the camp in the very next shot. If you look closely, Childs can be seen working on this tractor in the long shot.
3. A dark green Caterpillar 1-man plow, parked between the outpost's helicopter and Blair's shack, also visible as the Norwegians circle the camp. Three characters manage to squeeze into the cab of this one near the end of the film.
4. A yellow 2-seater Bombardier Skidozer 302-XXX (suffix undetermined) snowplow, used by Childs to cover over the first burned remains.
The two Bombardier Skidozers are similar, but have differences. For example, the power and hydraulics cables to the plow on the 301 attach to the driver's side of the front of the cab, whilst the cables on the 302 attach on the passenger side.
I will be in Stewart next August to track down one of these machines and some other items. I have heard the studio had an auction after the film and sold them. Any feedback/assistance/hints would be appreciated. Thanks! Todd todd@outpost31.com

Mtn-Track

Hmmm..gonna have to watch that one

I have the 1982 version, but wasn't aware of this latest one. I agree, I'll have to check it out.

Maybe it's no small coincidence that someone was looking for the original cats from the 1982 movie... about 9 years ago.

:shifty:

tomelroy

I have seen a video on the net and posted here of a yellow spryte that is suspended from cables and is falling etc. I think this might be one of the cat used in the movie and also from the preview of the new movie it may have been used to film the scene where the cat is falling through the ice....but the interior shot looks alot like a new LMC 1200 aritic. anyway maybe 2 different full cabs were used to make this film...i know that a 1200 LMC was purchased and post have been made regarding it being burn on the inside from the film....a shot on the trailer ( the trailer on I saw on tv is a bit different) looks like the insides of a 1200 are getting a bit toasty....

snotrans

We sold the 2 Imps and the 1200 Spryte to the production co with a buy back option that we did not exercise, due to the cab fire on the 1200. It got a lot hotter than they anticipated during the fire scene and did in my opinion a lot of internal damage to all the guages, all wiring,cables ,hoses, interior etc The last I knew of them they were for sale for salvage somewere in Quebec

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Just saw the previews on TV...Full cab yellow 1200. Cant wait to see the movie.
Cool!
I have never seen a snowcat machine in real life.
It's always exciting to know there will be one used in a film.:biggrin:
Off topic, but today I glimpsed something that was tracked digging alongside the road on my way to work.
It was called a Ditch Witch?
I stopped for a few minutes and watched the action. :yum:

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
The movie doesn't seem the sort of thing I would watch - I live on my own and would scare too easily, the trailer was bad enough!

mattfidaho

I wonder if this was a test for the film?
http://youtu.be/rywUzMAOfuY

http://youtu.be/AFUxwzjN6h0
rywUzMAOfuY

wesley

Just got back from watching the "Thing". Very cool movie with lots of cats. I believe there were two 1200 and two Imps. In the movie they say they have 5 but you never see more than 4 in one shot. If you liked the first one I think you will like this one as well.

tomelroy

the new movie is a prequel to the original. I like how they tied the two together at the end. When we got home we watched the original and it picks up right were the new one ends, it was almost like watching one big movie. Many of the same sets were recreated from the original.

I did catch a few minor errors in the movie:

1. The original movie takes place in 1982, one of the cats in the prequel is a LMC 1200 with a door style that did come along until a few years later.

2. In the opening scenes of the new movie they show exterior shots of an early spryte but all the interior shots were of a later model LMC 1200c.

And i had to ask myself why torch the interior of the newer LMC when the older spryte was in the same scene.

heino

Hello, to answer a few questions:

1. The original movie takes place in 1982, one of the cats in the prequel is a LMC 1200 with a door style that did come along until a few years later. You are correct about this :good catch but actually LMC did all their prototyping in Antarctica back then...they got the new models before anyone else lol.

2. In the opening scenes of the new movie they show exterior shots of an early spryte but all the interior shots were of a later model LMC 1200c.
There are 2 1200 series used in the picture; one older Spryte and the LMC1200c

3. And i had to ask myself why torch the interior of the newer LMC when the older spryte was in the same scene. It worked out that way with the way they were shot; the dangling one that crashes through the ice was made to look more like the LMC at one point. It was completely gutted and fitted with an engineered cage to be able to be suspended and be safe with actors/stuntmen.

There were also 2 Imps used and 1 Hagglunds which I don't think is seen much in the final product.

A small side note: In the Carpenter "Thing" from the 80's the actors mention "going out to the Thiokol" but they appear to get into a Bombardier Skidozer.

It has been years since I've seen "The Thing". The original was filmed in parts at research camps owned by the Juneau Icefields Research Project. They owned several Thiokol cats, probably Imps. I've looked thru my slides, and I seem to have mispalced several photos of the sno-cats I took during my summer there. JIRP's cats could well have been garaged during the film crews stay.

heino

Dragging up this old thread. I own the LMC / Thiokol Spryte that was used throughout the movie and in one of the last scenes of the latest prequel. Machine is in rough shape cosmetically. Body shop scared me with what it would cost to restore it. Any ideas out there? It might be a little beyond my available time and skill set. Machine is near Toronto, Ontario Canada
Thanks All.

heino

Machine starts and drives; the worst part of it is the roof/ frame. Entire roof skin will need to be redone because it was sectioned for lighting/ camera etc.
Cabin needs to come off and frame may need work. More pics later.

Attachments

• 1200c interior burned .jpg
    1200c interior burned .jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 396

heino

This picture taken during filming; machine is much rattier now.

Attachments

• 1200c side shot .jpg
    1200c side shot .jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 287

Videolink

review-of-film-thing.html

We have the Thiokol Imp 1404 from the movie "The Thing"
got it running, redid all the hydraulics and now we need to overhaul the underside, brakes, tranny etc - Really want to restore back to its original excellence

Anyone that can help - PLEASE - give me a call 416-804-7049
call_skype_logo.png
416-804-7049 Bruce
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxFkuvaIFRcCall
Send SMS
Call from mobile
Add to Skype
You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

Last edited:

Videolink

I have the Thiokol 1404 IMP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxFkuvaIFRc
Its now in London Ontario - trying to fix it up
It was pretty beat up - and painted red - but the original stickers from the film are still on it
review-of-film-thing.html

Need help!!

Are you talking about the 1982 version with Kurt Russell?
Here's some info that someone posted a while ago regarding the cats in that film...

Snow Cats/Thiokol in film "The Thing"/Stewart, B.C.

Date: 11/21/02
Time: 7:53:48 PM
Remote Name: 65.93.27.50

Comments

I am trying to locate the Snow Cats and/or Thiokol vehicles that were used in the film "The Thing" (1982) filmed in Stewart, British Columbia. These vehicles were used:
1. A yellow two-seater snow tractor with no plow attached, visible in the shot where the Norwegian helicopter chases the dog past the blue Chevron jet fuel container in the snow. (I believe this may be a Thiokol "Imp" model - I'm trying to verify this)
Edit: I am almost positive this is a Thiokol Imp 1404 standard track. The door shape is about right (it blows open when the helicoper goes past).
2. A yellow Bombardier Skidozer 301 two-seater plow, parked near the outpost helicopter, visible as the Norwegian helicopter circles the camp in the very next shot. If you look closely, Childs can be seen working on this tractor in the long shot.
3. A dark green Caterpillar 1-man plow, parked between the outpost's helicopter and Blair's shack, also visible as the Norwegians circle the camp. Three characters manage to squeeze into the cab of this one near the end of the film.
4. A yellow 2-seater Bombardier Skidozer 302-XXX (suffix undetermined) snowplow, used by Childs to cover over the first burned remains.
The two Bombardier Skidozers are similar, but have differences. For example, the power and hydraulics cables to the plow on the 301 attach to the driver's side of the front of the cab, whilst the cables on the 302 attach on the passenger side.
I will be in Stewart next August to track down one of these machines and some other items. I have heard the studio had an auction after the film and sold them. Any feedback/assistance/hints would be appreciated. Thanks! Todd todd@outpost31.com

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum!
Are you the flower, homestead people? I saw a video on Youtube (may be the one you posted) of an IMP from the movie, the imp I saw sounds neat with the straight pipe.

What are you in need of.

Mike

wesley

You need to post a good picture of the markings from the movie. I would love to see them, and perhaps reproduce them. Big fan of the movies.

Videolink

Yes - Thats us - www.meadowlilyfarm.com - we have a small bee farm in Ontario Canada and this "Thing" is our snow plow - we have repaired a lot on it so far, so far - some rewiring, a huge tune up and carb rebuild, new wipers new exhaust - but Im trying to find some kind of help in my area to really make it nice, I have a great shop - just not big on the mechanical talents - getting there a step a a time, think ive found a shop up North that may be able to help us more..will post any updates soon

Just wish I could find a Snowcat club here in Ontario
Wes - Ill take more pics and get a few stickers made up

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well video, I think you found the next best thing.... this group here is almost like a club.

there are quite a few people here that just view threads and mine for information, the search function is your friend. tons of how to info....

I have a Spryte version of your machine, Mine is the one that got toasty at the end of the movie. I found you by searching the movie while deciding if I wanted a project that big......(no regrets yet)

Wesley get your sights on the 15-16 clowder in february, If everything goes right, the debut of the Midwest Thing will be at the event.

Videolink

Still seeking a shop in Ontario that can assist with this restoration of the Thiokol Imp 1404- If anyone has a suggestion please let me know
Thanks
Bruce