• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Who makes a good propane torch?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looking for one with a push-button start and adjustable flame.
I'm looking on Amazon and from the reviews, they all seem to be junk these days.
BernzOmatic seems to have very poor quality and their customer service is terrible. Although they have a life-time warranty, they won't honor it.
Other brands have issues like when you tilt it or try to use it upside down, it quits.

Anyone find a decent propane torch lately with push-button start, adjustable flame and works upside down?

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I have a 10 yr old Bernzomatic TS8000 that has performed well and no problems. They may be building a safety valve to shut it off if turned upside down so liquid can't come out creating a fire hazard. I've never turned one upside down for that reason. I think I've seen some with the head on a hose so you can keep the tank upright.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think I've seen some with the head on a hose so you can keep the tank upright.
I just ordered one of those. The main use for this will be to start fires. I have a large one for burning leaves or whatever but needed something smaller for the wood stoves and other small fires.

Reactions: Doc

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Like mla2ofus, I have a couple of old BenzOmatics that have worked well for years. I may have to look in to the ones on a hose. I may need to update and upgrade.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had to go look and impulse buy on my part. You might recall my screw up when starting a brush fire due to gas station switching diesel and gas pumps and not marking it accordingly (until I complained).
Anyway this appears to be very handy for starting brush fires and melting ice. I prefer this to salt on areas of my concrete the sun does not get to and to close to stuff for the tractor to scrape ....so I took a chance on this item.

propaneTorch.JPG

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc - That's similar to the one I bought (link below).
For starting small brush fires, I expect either one of our choices will work nicely.
For melting ice, I think you're going to be disappointed. The ones we just bought are in the 50K BTU rating. I have a 500K (10x larger) that runs off a 20 pound tank and as I recall, it sucked for melting snow. Yea, it melts it but the water just sits there then freezes causing ice.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
You shouldn't have to melt snow, shovel, broom or leaf blower it away. When you get the remaining ice melted blow it away with the leaf blower.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My primary use will be weeds and brush fires. I don't want to have to haul a 20LB tank around with me so I'm trying this mini option. I have one spot in mine where ice will form. Once snow is removed melt the ice and direct it to the drain that is inches away. Worth a shot for 39 bucks.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you don't want to haul a 20 lb around then how about 10 lb tank.
I might consider that if I find I have enough uses for it. I don't have 10LB tank now. That would probably cost as much as the little torch I bought.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I might consider that if I find I have enough uses for it. I don't have 10LB tank now. That would probably cost as much as the little torch I bought.
Doc, it'll cost a lot more than you're little torch. 20# tanks are reasonably cheap but 10# and 5# tanks are expensive. I bought a 5# tank to use with a small outdoor grill when we were in the RV because I was tired of using the little the 1# cannisters and didn't want to drag a 20# tank around. I can't remember what it cost but I do remember that I almost fainted. It was getting close to $80 I think.

They do make a dolly for wheeling the 20# tank around which makes it easier.

Last edited: