• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

When it rains it pours

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure were to begin...

My mother in law has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and has had a small stroke as well. We know she means well, but calls at all hours in the night, having to spend an hour explaining something and an hour later she has no idea what you explained to her. Yet she can fool you with a short conversation, that may make sense.. Today we are placing her in a memory care unit in a local nursing home..

Last Thursday night I received a call from my father who was outside his car on the ground as he had fallen, and could not seem to get up. It was 6 degrees out then, and I am 20 minutes away. Called 911 and since he was in the parking lot of the Condominium he lives in, I also called a friend who lives there and had him go to my father as well. EMT's checked him over, after he had walked inside to his unit. They found nothing wrong with him, and he did not go to ER. Maybe he should have. The next day he called me and wanted me to come and get his car and take it to the farm. He says it will take to much money to get it in shape and he wasn't going to spend it on his car. I think he wanted it gone to end any temptation for him to drive anymore.
Yesterday I took him to the hospital for a monthly blood test. I can see immediately his mobility is a lot worse since his fall. This is not good as he lives by himself. Obviously he is sandbagging his condition. His condo is cluttered as if he is not able to put things away, and do normal chores around his unit. Yet he insists his fall did not hurt him...

As some of you know I am a snow cat owner and in a few weeks we will be holding our annual event in Michigan. This year I may have to pass on my favorite winter event. To much time away from those I love, especially my father. Mom passed in 2011, and he is all alone excepting for my family.
This situation could last for some time. Assisted living is being looked into for my Dad.

This is how it is when the generations change. This is what we do to in some way pay back our parents for a life time of help and education they have given us. We do this out of our love and respect for those who came before us. We do this out of endless love for our parents.

Many here have experienced these changes in life and know what I am going through. We all have our moment when it is our turn to pick up the reins and do what is necessary to ease the passage of a loved one.

Today it is my turn.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure were to begin...

My mother in law has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and has had a small stroke as well. We know she means well, but calls at all hours in the night, having to spend an hour explaining something and an hour later she has no idea what you explained to her. Yet she can fool you with a short conversation, that may make sense.. Today we are placing her in a memory care unit in a local nursing home..

Last Thursday night I received a call from my father who was outside his car on the ground as he had fallen, and could not seem to get up. It was 6 degrees out then, and I am 20 minutes away. Called 911 and since he was in the parking lot of the Condominium he lives in, I also called a friend who lives there and had him go to my father as well. EMT's checked him over, after he had walked inside to his unit. They found nothing wrong with him, and he did not go to ER. Maybe he should have. The next day he called me and wanted me to come and get his car and take it to the farm. He says it will take to much money to get it in shape and he wasn't going to spend it on his car. I think he wanted it gone to end any temptation for him to drive anymore.
Yesterday I took him to the hospital for a monthly blood test. I can see immediately his mobility is a lot worse since his fall. This is not good as he lives by himself. Obviously he is sandbagging his condition. His condo is cluttered as if he is not able to put things away, and do normal chores around his unit. Yet he insists his fall did not hurt him...

As some of you know I am a snow cat owner and in a few weeks we will be holding our annual event in Michigan. This year I may have to pass on my favorite winter event. To much time away from those I love, especially my father. Mom passed in 2011, and he is all alone excepting for my family.
This situation could last for some time. Assisted living is being looked into for my Dad.

This is how it is when the generations change. This is what we do to in some way pay back our parents for a life time of help and education they have given us. We do this out of our love and respect for those who came before us. We do this out of endless love for our parents.

Many here have experienced these changes in life and know what I am going through. We all have our moment when it is our turn to pick up the reins and do what is necessary to ease the passage of a loved one.

Today it is my turn.
Both my parents declined rapidly in 2015 and passed within 6 months of each other, It is a trying time. Hang in there you are doing the right thing.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I can relate to the changing of the guard. A few months ago I was the kid just going through life doing my thing. In an instant, dad was killed in a work accident. Everything changed. My brother and I had to step up to the plate and be there for mom. They were living full time in their rv and because of covid couldn't travel south for the winter and had to store their rv and move in with my aunt. Dad went back to work to keep busy and was killed. Now mom is living with my aunt and feels like a homeless person as we had to sell off bits and pieces of her entire existence. Dad's truck sold. Sold the motorhome. The boat will sell in the spring. Her whole life is changed. She's only in her 60s and not anywhere near sitting in a retirement home waiting to die. So where does that leave us?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I can relate to the changing of the guard. A few months ago I was the kid just going through life doing my thing. In an instant, dad was killed in a work accident. Everything changed. My brother and I had to step up to the plate and be there for mom. They were living full time in their rv and because of covid couldn't travel south for the winter and had to store their rv and move in with my aunt. Dad went back to work to keep busy and was killed. Now mom is living with my aunt and feels like a homeless person as we had to sell off bits and pieces of her entire existence. Dad's truck sold. Sold the motorhome. The boat will sell in the spring. Her whole life is changed. She's only in her 60s and not anywhere near sitting in a retirement home waiting to die. So where does that leave us?
I know Brian I saw this here on this forum. So sorry about your Dad. :cry:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The thing that worries me the very most is Dad going to the bathroom in the night, as most men do as the age.
It is not very far to the toilet from his bed, but this is the time he is most vulnerable. This is also the time when getting help might be difficult. He has a pull cord in his bath and shower, but if your down and can't get up or unconscious they will not help.
Looking into a pendant or wrist band alert for him. Lots to choose from, to many in fact...
Anyone have experience with these personal warning devices? I am all ears....

Ceee

Site Supporter
The next day he called me and wanted me to come and get his car and take it to the farm. He says it will take to much money to get it in shape and he wasn't going to spend it on his car. I think he wanted it gone to end any temptation for him to drive anymore.
That's really good that he realizes that he shouldn't be driving. My mother never admitted that. She actually lost her car. She called and said...I lost my car, it's not in the garage, and I don't know where it is.

Anyone have experience with these personal warning devices? I am all ears....
I bought my mother a pendant. She would take it off every night and leave it on the night stand. It sounds like your dad is much better off in the memory and understanding department than my mother was, so a pendant or wrist band might be a good idea for him. They're water proof and can be worn in the shower.

J.J. McDaniels

I'm deeply sorry to hear that and I can relate. My dad has going downhill ever since my mom died in mid '16 and he can't seem to catch a break. A few months ago, he slipped on some mud inside of his carport and tore his hamstring and he was admitted to the ER. He's 67 and greatly improved but while he was in the ER, I just had time to sit back and think about things. It sucks seeing anyone we love go downhill and there's just not a damn thing we can really do about it other than be there for them.