• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thiokol 201 on ebay

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter

Attachments

• DA9512BE-BBB9-48E8-8CBC-63C8C451D555.png
    DA9512BE-BBB9-48E8-8CBC-63C8C451D555.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 429

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I did not think much of these backward snow cats as a keyboard snowcatter....

I picked one up from our winter clowder host and determined that thiokol built a very versatile machine:
Its light.
It has plenty of torque
it has a full range of speeds from a little to slow to a little too fast.
The platform lends itself to a very easy drivetrain to modify.
inexpensive bogie or guide wheels.
drop center grousers make multiple surface operation acceptable

If you wanted to build your own cab and have free reign to design what you want. the Ring and pinion is easy to flip. if you desired an engine forward machine.

I'm not promoting either machine in the thread, just realizing the reality of the lurking population that is silently shopping the web for cats and cat advice....

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
Ha, I guess they are backwards. I’m used to a backwards skidozer so the 201 looked sorta (kind of) normal to me. Might have to change my screen name to Backwardski-dozer.

201spryte

I keep debating selling my 201 as I have not used it since purchasing my two IMP's. After having just finished getting my 1450 ready for winter I look back on how much easier the 201 is to work on. Its just such a simple and well thought out machine compared to most others. My biggest problem is the cab is small (I'm 6'5) and difficult to get in and out of. Maybe I will keep it and make a custom "tall dude" cab for it.

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
The more I think about it the more obvious it is, backwards is forward.
1. Easy to get at the engine for service and repairs
2. Spread the load more evenly when you have a blade out front
3.Gentle track angle up front to make smoother grade changes (on the way up anyways)
4. No snout blocking the view of the blade
5. All of the alpine cats are doing it

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
Too late to edit, #5 incorrect:hammer:, more mid engine- and of course rear drive. The rest seem right though.

No one bought the yellow one, auction ended.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
A member here who brought the one I am familiar with to the snow cat clowder, raced in our parking lot Cat contest. Damn if it isn't quite fast over the snow! Impressed me that day...

Regards, Kirk

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The more I think about it the more obvious it is, backwards is forward.
1. Easy to get at the engine for service and repairs
2. Spread the load more evenly when you have a blade out front
3.Gentle track angle up front to make smoother grade changes (on the way up anyways)
4. No snout blocking the view of the blade
5. All of the alpine cats are doing it

I busted out the caffeine induced design madness......

snow tracks, 201's, Small br's and bombi's, ect pull tight on the top side of the track and throw slack over the sprocket down to the ground. great idea for wheelies, ( i had a mercedes powered bombi that could do that )

all the other backwards cats pull tight across the bottom and throw the slack at the rear most bogie,carrier, idler wheel.... ( nice donuts and drifting abilities)

Well then there is tucker.... they were not sure which way is best and played it safe by going in the middle....

lest you forget about the Kat track driving the middle but from the outside...

Frandee is the clear winner here driving at both ends.

So there it is settled.....

all cats are cool,

now where did i set that energy drink.....

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Rear sprocket drives pull the front down for climbing hills. and also pull sleds better if brake steered.

Front drive machine are made to lift the front up and out like in swamps. Don’t pull sleds very good unless ram steered.

Tucker’s don’t do swamps well. The track dives into the swamp

Tracked tractors don’t do swamps well either

Attachments

• F37CC331-09E6-4182-986C-ECA362DD9703.jpg
    F37CC331-09E6-4182-986C-ECA362DD9703.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 206
  • B9DFF860-22C6-4810-A81C-6049BBA45B90.jpg
    B9DFF860-22C6-4810-A81C-6049BBA45B90.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
I want to see the video of the blue f150 popping that tractor out of the hole first try, unlike what happened to the red vehicle on the left. Just a little tug should do it