• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tents?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My son and I did a little camping over the weekend. I'm very happy with all the equipment but to add 1 or more people to the tent we used, it's too small.

The tent I'm currently using is a Eureka Timberline 4. It's very light (under 8 pounds) and setup is 1 person and about 10 minutes. It's listed as being a 4 person tent but that would be shoulder-to-shoulder with little room for packs and equipment. Two of us in there with cots and packs/equipment was perfect.

I'm looking for a tent about twice that size (so I'm looking for one in the 120-150 sq/ft range). Something for 3 seasons. Room dividers are OK but probably need them removable for setting up cots. Weight isn't as much a consideration since it won't be a backpacking tent. Quick setup is key. One person setup would be nice but doubtful in a tent that size.

Anyone have any tents they would recommend? Any that you don't like?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The tent I'm currently using is a Eureka Timberline 4.

I have the same tent.:clap:

Or I did have it. Maybe I still do? Its been WAY TOO LONG since I've been backpacking/tent camping. But then again, I'm old and crabby now.

Sorry, can't help with any recommendations on a newer model. My wife equates HOLIDAY INN to tent camping.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mrs. Zoom and Mrs. Bob sound very similar.

I've been internet shopping/looking at tents for awhile this morning. I have been pondering getting a couple more of the Timberlines.

The downfalls are:
When I'm camping with both kids, I'm sure they're going to want to be in a single tent so I can shoo the boogieman away.
Height isn't such that you can stand up. Kind of a bugger at times.

The uptakes are:
Modularity - I only bring what I need.
Weight - At 8# each, I can put them on multiple packs (as opposed to me schlepping a 40# tent myself besides my own equipment)

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
What's with the cots? Don't you just sleep on some foam? The only time I ever slept on a cot was when I was camping on beaches in Mexico and needed to get out of the bug zone.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What's with the cots? Don't you just sleep on some foam?
Hey, we were comfortable. Damn comfortable. Cots with mats on top.

It got down into the 40's that night. The other campers in their Taj Mahal tents and inflatable mattresses didn't fare as well as we did. Since our tent was small, the body heat stayed in and near us. Our tent probably didn't get below about 55 degrees. They came out cold and aching. I actually slept better than I do at home (although I was dead tired from being on-the-go doing Soap Box Derby races for 8 hours, followed by Cub Scout activities for another 8 before I hit the rack).

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, after looking all over today and reading about 1000 reviews, I've picked the one that I think will work nicely.

The Eureka Titan. It's 9'6" x 13'6" and has a room divider. Reviews say it's strong as nails. A picture is below.

Eric - Thanks. I checked out the Campmor site. I did find this tent elsewhere at such a low price, I ordered it.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
cool.
good luck and hope it works well for you.
don't forget to take the "small" tent with you for overflow storage and changing room. ;)

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Congratulations. Seems like a good choice. I'd hate to recommend a tent to anyone because they are such a personal choice item. One size doesn't fit all. Besides, my points of reference are all outdated and a lot has happened to tents in the past 10 or 15 years.

These days my wife is more like Bob's and zoomer's, Holiday Inn is roughing it as far as she is concerned. Whatever happened to that Camp Fire Girl I married who could whip up a full meal for six in a skillet over an open fire????? :flowers::flowers::flowers: Ah well, I've got older too. I wouldn't go camping these days unless I could haul my Sleep Number bed along. :yum:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I used to tent all the time when I was younger. I had 5 or six different nylon tents and one canvas. I still have the canvas one and one smaller 6x6 nylon square dome. I never use them anymore since getting a camper. Now, when we got camping, we do it in style and comfort.