• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

something for my snowtrac to pull

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I built the lumber sled with two parts so that I could haul any length lumber. The front sled has a "Fifth Wheel" to turn and follow the snowmachine/Imp when I was pulling, the rear sled is strapped to the load and the load acts as the frame between the two sleds. When the sleds are empty, the rear one hooks to the front one and they pull as "Doubles". The skis are the same width as the Bearcat Widetrack snowmachine so I could break trail and tow a load at the same time. The Imp pulls the load with no effort at all. The loads ranged from a few hundred pounds to in excess of a thousand with lumber and everything else that could be strapped to it.

Have a bunch more photos if you want to be bored with them. Took photos of the constuction process also. The skis came off two old snowmachines and I put wide plastic ski skins on them for ease of pulling and floatation. If I was to build new ones, there is a few changes I would make, but to build them to sell would cost more than most folks would want to pay. When I designed them there was nothing on the market that could do what I wanted to haul my lumber to the cabin.

Could we see some pictures of the trailer tha you pull with the Imp? I am brainstorming a design for a trailer myself..

Attachments

• Front section of he two sled.jpg
    Front section of he two sled.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 177
  • Lumber sled showing front and back sections.jpg
    Lumber sled showing front and back sections.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 175
  • Imp pulling lumber sled.jpg
    Imp pulling lumber sled.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 164
  • Snowmachine towing the sled.jpg
    Snowmachine towing the sled.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 171

roughwoods

SUPER Site Supporter
I will try to get some new pic of the green slead in the next few days and get them posted. Larry.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Here is a few more shot of the blue sleds. I built them because I needed something to haul materials out to my cabin site and there wasn't anything on the market that would work for me. I built it with the ideal of both the snowmachine and Imp pulling it. The ski width is the same as the snowmachine to allow me to break trail and tow freight.

I can also haul any length of lumber and/or use one sled to take bulk stuff, like my wood stove at the cabin.

Anyway, weight is a problem on both the Imp and snowmachine loads. The Imp is rated at about 1500 lbs for towing, although I have pulled a "Bit" more than than now and then. The sled assembly weighs about 100+- pounds, and I have put as much as 1500 lbs in lumber on it. I figured I want to pull as much freight as possible instead of sled.

Attachments

• Sled just out of the shop in empty tow mode.jpg
    Sled just out of the shop in empty tow mode.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 143
  • snowmachine trailer 007.jpg
    snowmachine trailer 007.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 138
  • Rear sled during first tow test.jpg
    Rear sled during first tow test.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 142
  • Marks Camera 128.jpg
    Marks Camera 128.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 137
  • Marks Camera 074.jpg
    Marks Camera 074.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 136

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Here is some photos of Larry's green sled, it is pretty good for hauling bulk freight and such. He used it to haul his logs for his cabin and is did a pretty good job with the teflon coats runners.

He did a pretty good job of building it, there was a few bugs but he got them worked out pretty nicely.

Attachments

• Dons Photos 076.jpg
    Dons Photos 076.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 136
  • P3240015.JPG
    P3240015.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 133
  • Cabin almost 100 miles southwest of Fairbanks.JPG
    Cabin almost 100 miles southwest of Fairbanks.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 137
  • P3240002.JPG
    P3240002.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 136
  • Refueling Dozer.jpg
    Refueling Dozer.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 138
  • Larrys hard working snowtrac.jpg
    Larrys hard working snowtrac.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 136

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Here is a "Joint" sled that Larry and I have that hauls freight and can be used on the back haul as a trail drag. In these photos I am using it to drag my runway at the cabin on sandy dirt behind the dozer, it worked really well.

Larry used this one for hauling logs to his cabin this last winter, and it did a really good job, little heavy for flipping over unless you have a winch or block and cable setup....

In one of the photos you can see the "Herring bone" design that when flipped over, has about a 1/4" lip to dig up the snow and leaves a pretty nice trail without shoving the snow off the trail. Even though I was using it in dirt, it works pretty well in snow...if we get any....

Attachments

• P6240036.jpg
    P6240036.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 132
  • Dragging the cleared runway.jpg
    Dragging the cleared runway.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 138
  • P6240028.jpg
    P6240028.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 132

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
All three sleds show some great engineering work and forethought.:respect: Nice job. :thumb: Thanks for the pics.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Here is some videos of the blue sled just after I built it. About half of the loads were pulled with the Imp, but I didn't have too much footage of that part of the hauling. Pretty much all the freight to build my cabin was hauled either on the sled, or in the Imp. Since it is an 80 mile round trip, pretty much took an entire day. Larry used his larger green sled and the sled/drag that we had to haul his logs and they worked pretty well also.

Mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl8MbtqVs6g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH9ZBrYxszk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SMTDcwr9iQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCipSlstuJk