• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow Cat Jamboree 2015

Tye one on

And the story a little like this.....

dc7a99676da641ce6da8acb4983d5e36.jpg

16 cats and 35 of some of the best people you will run across anywhere.

032e930998ced590bea88f4853175e47.jpg

A group of people brought together in the heart of the Cascades because of a common interest.

a1265453e3c72090ac606b266fd8d21d.jpg

Some of the owners of these machines have never had the opportunity to put it in the snow till this weekend. Lots of smiles ear to ear when we hit the trail.

fe609a5dbeaa85ada75a72dabd8f58ca.jpg

Three hour trip to the top the occasional break down but there was always someone to lend a hand and get things band aided together so the could make it or the top.

8153e6091c8e337dfc62376706708b43.jpg

Once there the food came out and wow it did not disappoint one bit. Salmon, brats, fresh boiled crab, homemade chile, beans, homemade dips and I won't soon forget the homemade cookies. There were hot adult beverages supplied as well as cold brews to keep us hydrated.

There was contribution from everyone that came so I wouldn't know where to start thanking but all who attended deserve a big thanks for making Snow Cat Jamboree a huge success.

There will be many more great pictures and heroic stories of from the day and the night operation to retrieve a wounded cat from the hill. Stay tuned, Cheers!

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Glacierparkbus bought all the machines..... :0 ;)

please post more pics!!! and if anyone can please take detailed pics of any working soft tops,bows, hardware etc I would be grateful- I do have an FTP they can be dumped to if they are too big or numerous to post here.

I hope the snow was great, and the memories better.

not true! only bought 2 machines this weekend:brows:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
moments from a wonderful day with fabulous people thank you to everyone who came and made this weekend so enjoyable

Attachments

• DSC_0015.jpg
    DSC_0015.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 333
  • DSC_0018.jpg
    DSC_0018.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 340
  • DSC_0026.jpg
    DSC_0026.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 334
  • DSC_0031.jpg
    DSC_0031.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 331
  • DSC_0050.jpg
    DSC_0050.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 340

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
and more

Attachments

• DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 332
  • DSC_0034.jpg
    DSC_0034.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 336
  • DSC_0038.jpg
    DSC_0038.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 331
  • DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 330

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
Well.........where to begin?

First off, what a great event and special group of like-minded folks. We really appreciate the opportunity to be a part of it all and meet everyone.

As you can see from all of the previous posted pictures, our day shaped up to be amazing. Snow on the roads, and patches of blue in the sky.

I'll begin the story at the point that we finished our amazing mountain top feast, loaded up the equipment to begin working our way back down the steep, narrow and winding road with a cliff on one side for much of the journey.

Just above our gathering place, there was a road that continued up about 200-300 feet and appeared to have a landing off to one side that would make a great picture. Being one of the first packed up and eager to get as much runtime on our cat as possible, I pulled on the steer lever, accelerated the engine and with ease, positioned myself for the moderate ascent. The cat had been performing so well all day, I was confident this would be an effortless adventure. My wife and daughter were happily standing on the back deck holding securely to the rack bars. As we began the climb, our left track rolled up some sort of log from beneath the snow. About 10' later, POP!.......................and down the mountain we go, backwards and out of control! The view of all of the beautiful snowcats and people scurrying was so clear in the display of my “BRAND NEW 7" COLOR DISPLAY BACK UP CAMERA”! I stepped on the brake pedal as hard as I could and was pulling both steer levers clear back to my armpits as I recited all of the colorful metaphors I have learned throughout the years. Nothing was working and like they say about mirrors and cameras, "things definitely are closer than then they appear". I was yelling at the top of my lungs for the girls to jump off to safety. My daughter was mid air by then and I heard my wife say " really?". I said JUMP!! I could hear the crowd of spectators yelling "Jump Off!" as she did and I braced for impact into one of the coolest cats on the hill.

THUD!! CRACK! BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP!...as we made contact and continued to slide further down the hill together in unison to a dead stop. I shut off the engine. At that point, time may have stopped and you could hear a pin drop. I sat there for a minute to regain composure and referenced my "NEW 7 INCH COLOR DISPLAY BACK UP CAMERA" to verify that thankfully no one was hurt and my girls were safely walking down the hill to assess the situation.

All I could think of was "oh boy" was how am I going to explain this to my insurance agent....

I sat there a bit longer and folks started checking on me to ensure I was ok and I was.

As I climbed out of the cat, I made my way back to the rear only to find two snowcats locked together like a couple bull elk during the rut.

Many hands made light work of the situation. Because my cat had no working brakes we had to use the winch to tie off to a tree and pull it ahead a bit. Once they tore loose from each other, we chalked mine with firewood to ensure that it could not roll back again.

The second injured cat had been pushed back so far, that it had jumped up on top of it's tow sled and was stuck. About 10 people were able to lift the snowcat up high enough on one side to free the impinged sled. After a brief inspection of the damage, and a bit of summit auto body repair, we were able to get it functional enough to safely come down the mountain.

Back to my wounded cat........... it was a no go. The engine fired up with a loud exhaust leak and the drive train would not engage forward or reverse in both high and low range. After some discussion, the decision was made to abandon the dead cat and work our way down the mountain before dark to ensure everyone’s safety and come up with the right plan for a retrieval. One of our well-connected friends was already on the phone with people that could possibly assist by either plowing the road for my truck and trailer, or bring in a dozer towing my trailer. One could only imagine the cost and time associated with that option, but a much appreciated viable option at any rate.

We marked our waypoint on the handheld GPS and reset our odometer to calculate the exact route and distance as information helpful to our plan.

Coming down the mountain was perfectly uneventful and great to see everyone’s equipment performing so well.

Once back to the parking lot, it was time to put our collective heads together, weigh out our risk vs. benefit options and strategically devise a safe and effective plan.

This was also a good time for my wife and daughter to catch a ride back to town for a great dinner with friends. Thanks to those that provided the ride.

Sincerely, with all due respect I could appreciate everyone’s input and comfort levels in participating and was very happy to not commit anyone to something they were not completely comfortable with.

We had approximately 3 or 4 scenarios developing of the best approach to our situation. It was really great to hear people willing to voice their concerns in a professional manner yet still be willing to listen to others ideas. Some were deeply concerned of any unnecessary night operation and associated risks, while others were quite aware of their equipment capabilities, timelines and extensive experience in these types of situations.

One local gentleman offered to assist come daylight with his 12.5' groomer and was certain he could make it work with a couple chains but was unsure exactly of the location we were speaking of. It was painfully obvious that his equipment about 3.5' wider than the road itself and not equipped to tow a trailer. I question whether he realized the scope of our situation. Just my .02.

We had a wait till morning crew without a rock solid plan and uncertain number of participants’ or costs etc......

Then we had a group of folks that obviously come from industry and heavy work that were more than eager to "get in a night run" and make it happen. I gotta admit, I liked that option too.

If we were going to do this, we first discussed the plan from start to finish to ensure that we were united in the plan. We discussed safety, weather, drivers, spotters, appropriate lighting, effective radio and visual communication between all cats and spotters, time frames, rigging, vehicle weights, braking capabilities, order of operations, all hooks replaced by shackles and cornering techniques. We also agreed that if at any point during the retrieval anyone felt uneasy, we would secure the machine where it sat and come back in daylight with a better plan. We were in complete agreement and decided to execute the plan.

As we began the journey back up the mountain, the sun had begun to set. It was immediately apparent that lighting was NOT going to be an issue here. Holy mother of Tucker LED light bars! I seriously want one of those things!

We worked our way up the hill and just as we reached the scene, the fog began to settle in.

Once there, had another tailgate discussion of safety, order of operations and communications. It was at this discussion that one of the younger guys had a fantastically logical idea of towing the dead cat backwards. He was quick to point out why this method would not only ensure less damage to all equipment should something break loose (would only collide track to track vs, expensive cab to back of Tucker), but would also greatly assist in the turning of the sharp corners due to the back of the machine being so much lighter than the front. This configuration would also it to pivot on the heavy end and slide into position much easier under tension. Genius!

As we started our way down, we were particularly aware of any and all strange noises or handling effects. Things felt great!

Like a well-oiled machine, the well thought out plan was working with extreme precision and finesse. We captured the event with pictures and texted them real time to the others in town should we need assistance.

The first couple miles were the narrowest and steepest. As we eased into the corners, the Tucker would position itself perfectly and allow the dead cat to track toward the edge of the cliff. At just the right moment, and under tension, the spotters would call for the rear cat to apply brakes firmly momentarily. This tension would force the recovered machine into a controlled side slide toward the inside of the corner and we would repeat the process all the way down the hill. I am proud to say, that this A'team never hit a rock, a tree or even came close to track off the cliff.

The extraction mission was exactly 2hrs from top to bottom. Once back to the parking lot we chose to stage ad chalk the cat on the road and bring the trailer to it. We fired up the wounded machine and used its winch system to get it loaded and return to base.

About 10pm we returned to a warm campfire and curious group of how it went. We shared stories, discussed concerns, thanked are lucky stars for the safety of all and had good laughs. I even received a handmade wooden cat from GlacierParkBus as a momento for the whole event. Thanks for that!

I'm sure this story will be forgotten quickly and not brought up during future b.s. sessions...lol :brows:

I can't say thanks enough to all that helped and had genuine concern for the well being of my family, myself and my equipment.

Within 1hr of getting home and assessing the damage, I have verified numerous issues.

The exhaust system is destroyed and the manifold is broken in 1/2. The rear differential is toast, broken teeth on both the ring and pinion gears. Both axle shafts are snapped with one piece halving welded itself at the splines in the 3rd member.

We will make sure that the other cat is repaired first and foremost then assess our option of repairing ours. We may go back as it was or might make some major modifications to improve performance. One thing is for sure, It will be repaired correctly!

Thanks for listening to me ramble.......... This is my current recollection of events. Definitely one for the pocket book...I mean record book!

Enjoy the pics and feel free to comment, correct or roast as you feel like. Cheers!

20150124_175439.jpg
[/IMG]

20150124_175839.jpg
[/IMG]

20150124_181318.jpg
[/IMG]

20150124_181337.jpg
[/IMG]

20150124_182107.jpg
[/IMG]

20150124_182534.jpg
[/IMG]

20150124_182627.jpg
[/IMG]

20150124_182716.jpg
[/IMG]

20150124_183142.jpg
[/IMG]

20150124_183337.jpg
[/IMG]

20150124_191716.jpg
[/IMG]

20150124_192006.jpg
[/IMG]

20150124_192008.jpg
[/IMG]

20150125_145615.jpg
[/IMG]

20150125_153442.jpg
[/IMG]

Wow.

Glad you got out. Sound like it went really well, only two hours.

The axles must have been the first to fail, that would explain why the steering brakes were useless.

Sno-Surfer

Wow, great story. You were sure with the right group to have problems. It's a real hassle when your cat breaks down at the top of the hill. Sounds like it all ended up well.
Had I made it, it would be me that would probably need the tow. :biggrin:

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
WOW! What originally looked like an impossible situation was made to look easy by the Tuckers and Hagglunds. We are so glad you and your family were not hurt and your machine got home. Your wife and daughter did a beautiful dive off the back. Your daughter will have quite a story for the kids at school. What an adventure! That's what is so great about these outings. The people with the skills and experience always step up. When I saw your cat rolling back into the Snow Trac I thought 'This is not going to be good". But yet you had it off the mountain by 10 and no one got hurt. What a feat! I am totally impressed with what you guys accomplished.

Nate b

Sounds like everyone had a great time. Wish I would have been there versus reading and looking at pictures from work where it is currently -20 with 25MPH winds. Glad everyone came out unscathed from the wreck. Wheres the pictures of the banged up Kitty?

All joking aside that is what scares me the most is breaking down with out another cat around to help. Sounds like everyone was ready to give a lending hand. Congrats to all involved for a job well done.

Sno-Surfer

Well had I gone, I was going to surprise you all by bringing some of this beer up. I figured someone would have this up there already but since I didn't see any photos of it, I thought I'd share with you what one of my buddies brought along a couple of weeks ago on our trip up around Mt Adams.
Groomer Beer, staring the Tucker Sno-Cat!!!

I hope I can find this again. I'll stock up for the Mt Hood event.

martinf

I was just going to look at all the pics of the Saturday trip...and then come to the epic story! Wow. But you know what is so impressive about all of that--and what I noticed right off when I visited Friday afternoon? Such great comraderie. You guys are the best and I really enjoyed meeting so many great folks and seeing so many cool machines.

I'll definitely be bringing my weasel next year. Is it in Leavenworth every year? Hopefully?
Martin on Lake Chelan

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Well had I gone, I was going to surprise you all by bringing some of this beer up. I figured someone would have this up there already but since I didn't see any photos of it, I thought I'd share with you what one of my buddies brought along a couple of weeks ago on our trip up around Mt Adams.
Groomer Beer, staring the Tucker Sno-Cat!!!

I hope I can find this again. I'll stock up for the Mt Hood event.

the groomer beer comes out of flathead lake montana and have an excellent stock for timberline event, plus plans are to have a craft beer tasting.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
WOW! What originally looked like an impossible situation was made to look easy by the Tuckers and Hagglunds. We are so glad you and your family were not hurt and your machine got home. Your wife and daughter did a beautiful dive off the back. Your daughter will have quite a story for the kids at school. What an adventure! That's what is so great about these outings. The people with the skills and experience always step up. When I saw your cat rolling back into the Snow Trac I thought 'This is not going to be good". But yet you had it off the mountain by 10 and no one got hurt. What a feat! I am totally impressed with what you guys accomplished.
you said it was a snow trac that was hit, could it be the curse of Big Al.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
krustys don't leave the shop, so the next best thing would be to aim it with another snow cat.

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Sounds like everyone had a great time. Wish I would have been there versus reading and looking at pictures from work where it is currently -20 with 25MPH winds. Glad everyone came out unscathed from the wreck. Wheres the pictures of the banged up Kitty?

All joking aside that is what scares me the most is breaking down with out another cat around to help. Sounds like everyone was ready to give a lending hand. Congrats to all involved for a job well done.

Everyone missed you. Wish you could have been there.

BV Boys

Thanks to all for a really fine time!! It was great to meet everyone and enjoy the camaraderie of like-minded adventurers. I was really looking forward to operating at night and due to an unforseen situation, my dreams came true....:wink:

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
Thanks to all for a really fine time!! It was great to meet everyone and enjoy the camaraderie of like-minded adventurers. I was really looking forward to operating at night and due to an unforseen situation, my dreams came true....:wink:

Glad I could help make your dreams come true!..lol It was quite the adventure. Thanks again for all the help!

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
just got home. I continued north to visit my sisters ranches and did some more cattin for two more days and lots of driveway plowing.
I had my master switch and wipers fail but after the jamboree . so I don't think it can be added to the broken cat list. oh, and it was a pistenbully.
I really don't remember any tuckers having problems.
jim

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
etched glasses and shirts
DSC00126.jpg

DSC00066.jpg

a few of us needed a tow and look what was doing it.
DSC00064.jpg

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
and YES a big thank you to Jeff ( the toughest snow trac ) the etched glasses were a fabulous surprise and very nice of you, thank you!

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
just got home. I continued north to visit my sisters ranches and did some more cattin for two more days and lots of driveway plowing.
I had my master switch and wipers fail but after the jamboree . so I don't think it can be added to the broken cat list. oh, and it was a pistenbully.
I really don't remember any tuckers having problems.
jim
AH, THE MIGHTY TUCKERS !

Northcoast

GOLD Site Supporter
I too would be curious to know how the jeep performed on the outing. Looks to be a very interesting machine.