• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Sent some students to the Junior Olympic Qualifiers ... all but 1 qualified!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If I die today I think I leave a positive splotch on the world.

The Junior Olympic Qualifier events for fencing happened in Indiana yesterday and in Illinois today. I am a coach for Saber. I do not coach Epee or Foil, but I do advise students (kids and adults) in all 3 weapons. I don't take or deserve any skill credit for any of the Epee or Foil students but it doesn't mean I don't help them. And I feel good tonight. Celebration good.

Yesterday one of my Saber fencers earned GOLD medal in the Indiana Junior Olympic "Junior Women's Saber" event.
Today one of my Saber fencers earned GOLD medal in the Illinois Junior Olympic "Cadet Women's Saber" event.
Today one of my Saber fencers earned GOLD medal in the Illinois Junior Olympic "Cadet Men's Saber" event.
Today one of my Saber fencers earned SILVER medal in the Illinois Junior Olympic "Junior Men's Saber" event.
Today one of "my" Epee fencers earned the GOLD medal in the Illinois Junior Olympic "Junior Women's Epee" event.
Today one of "my" Foil fencers earned the SILVER medal in the Illinois Junior Olympic "Junior Men's Foil" event.

I did have a Saber fencer, in the Illinois Junior Men's Saber event compete and not qualify. To qualify to attend the Junior Olympics a fencer must finish in the Top 3 spots, or attend and win another qualifying event. This young man has not been trained by me, but I have advised him and helped him over the past couple of years. I am saddened that he didn't make the cut, but he still has a chance next year.

So out of 7 students who attended, 6 qualified. Neither the Epee nor the Foil fencer would have ever even considered attending the event had it not been for me counseling them. I've introduced them to outside competitions, introduced them to higher level coaches, encouraged them in many ways.

Like I said, today is a celebration day for me. Very proud of these kids. Not many get to do what they will attempt.

The first three photos below are my Illinois Saber fencers. The last photo is a Foil fencer. I don't have photos from this weekend of the Indiana medalist or the Epee medalist.

4B8BAE63-3817-490F-BD7F-1FE82140FB2F.jpeg
7E9D1314-878B-443A-B37E-44C755106084.jpeg
7E766C80-2209-420A-9A11-1F3EEC3748A5.jpeg
4251E39B-DE34-41C9-9EF1-9A4128E53346.jpeg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is not about the Junior Olympics but I didn't see the need to start a new thread, but today we had Illinois Qualifications for the National Championships. My fencing club is located very close to the Illinois/Indiana state line so we have members who live in both states.

4 of my club members from Illinois went to the event.
  • SILVER Women's Div 2 Saber
  • SILVER Men's Div 2 Foil
  • BRONZE Men's Div 2 Epee
  • SILVER Men's Div 3 Saber
If you finish in the TOP 3 spots in a Division 2 event you automatically qualify for the National Championships in BOTH the Division 2 event and the lower level Division 3 event.

4 went to the tournament, I actively coach 2 of the them, help the other 2, and all 4 qualified for the National Championships and will fence in a combined total of 7 events.

0FAA96C7-47C7-48A6-BCE6-9A7E31BAECA4_1_201_a.jpeg
tempImage3fsjlG.jpg
8E3DF976-92EA-471E-950A-974667EAF48C_1_201_a.jpeg
279442068_463062638906024_8183158761400832984_n.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I will have 2 girls fencing in the National Championships NEXT Friday in the Division 2 event and they then compete in the Division 3 event on Sunday.

For both of these girls it will be their first time in a big national venue and for their first events to be the National Championships is sort of surreal.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Pulling up an old thread because it is that time of the year again.

9 students have qualified for Fencing at this season's JUNIOR OLYMPICS, which will be held in Denver in Feb 2023.

1 for Junior Women's Saber
1 for both Cadet and Junior Men's Saber
2 for Junior Men's Saber
2 for Junior Men's Foil
2 for Cadet Women's Foil
1 for Junior Women's Foil

Booked a room at the Hyatt Regency for the long weekend. One of the high school coaches will also be attending. I'll be there the afternoon of its start thru Sunday of that weekend. The other coach arrives the next day, and leaves late on the final day. So between the 2 of us we will be able to coach all of the kids at every event.