• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

scanners

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My scanners aren't as good since things went digital and trunk tracking stuff. I may start looking for something newer. what should I look at?
jim

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bump.

I was thinking of getting one. Anyone have any ideas?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I have an HP office jet all in one. It does ok for my limited use. I fax as much as I scan.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
How much do you scan?
Do you need a document feeder?
Network or USB?

I have an HP office jet all in one. It does ok for my limited use. I fax as much as I scan.

I think they want the other kind of scanner, to listen to the Fire Department and Police department.

Almost everyone has gone to a trunking system so you will want a scanner that is a trunk tracker. If the system you want to monitor is digital, you will want an APCO 25 compliant system.

Uniden sells scanners direct in addition to their dealer network.

UnidenDirect.Com

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well Duh!:bonk:

Attachments

• lol.jpeg
    lol.jpeg
    7.6 KB · Views: 302

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The last two I got rid of did not track a trunked network. Occasionally I could follow things if I scanned quickly and it was a slow night. The desktop was purchased before the cell phone frequency ban was put in effect. You'd be surprised what one could hear on those frequencies.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If I had the trunk frequencies and not digital I think my scanners would work.They were one of the better ones in the 80's. Nothing blocked out on them.
now the radio shack has trunk tracker with lots of blocked stuff for $400.Kind of hard to justify that.

danocheese

It will be interesting to see what new radios come out. Many staes including Minnesota re being forced into narrow band. we have to repalceevy radio int he county. It is a nice system but I really don;t see that many issues with the old one. I guess the ones in the know say we need it for the big disaster that will be coming.

I loved the days of old analog cell phones. One could listen to some pretty interesting stuff.

Kinell

This comment is 13 years later mid virus but I am using a scanner probably that old with Windows 10 for A4 scans Epson Perfection V200 Photo. It can do quite a lot of useful time saving things like multiple separate scans. Colur enhancement etc. I use an A3 Brother Printer Scanner for bigger work but not yet gone bigger to A2

Kinell

The previous comment was my first to this Forum group and I see it list me as a Junior member and I feel great as I am 82.

Bannedjoe

This comment is 13 years later mid virus but I am using a scanner probably that old with Windows 10 for A4 scans Epson Perfection V200 Photo. It can do quite a lot of useful time saving things like multiple separate scans. Colur enhancement etc. I use an A3 Brother Printer Scanner for bigger work but not yet gone bigger to A2

And here I thought we were talking about scanners!

Attachments

• tenor.gif
    tenor.gif
    57.7 KB · Views: 195

Kinell

I thought this was a sensible comment as it proves that people of my age are Scanner conscious but I did not expect to be treated with disrespect by the first person to respond. I will keep to the subject in future if it is so important not to include the human factor.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I think that the confusion has arisen because of the use of the word "scanner'. The original enquiry all those years ago was about what used to be called "police or emergency band" scanners. A lot of the answers deal with scanning documents and photos using all-in-one printers or document scanners to a computer.

scotthouse

The best scanner I ever had was a PRO-51 -- Double conversion and the reception was excellent!

The best triple conversion I ever had was an AOR scanner (Goes from .100Mhz to 3000Mhz (No skips))