• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Racer in the family.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thank goodness your bro is alright. Flying through the air like that at the high speeds they are driving, I can only imagine how hard the impact would have been. the safety restraints are awesome. They sure did their job.

About how fast do they get up to on that track?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
God, I miss going in circles. I was on asphalt. I love watching clips from the driver's view.
My first race, hobby stock, 67 Chevy 2, bench seat. Was so excited I forgot to put the seat belt on. Any idea how hard it is to throttle with your left foot, while hanging on the steering wheel attempting to stay in the car instead of flying out? Well, at least I didn't use the brakes since I couldn;t reach the pedal haanging on slid into the passneger side of the seat, and learned the limits of that car real quick.
Track etiquette at the time for greenhorns was to drive them into the wall as initiation, which I expected to happen. But the regulars saw I had a problem and let me run. Made alot of friends there,
I ALWAYS wear a seat belt since then.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Time for an update. My brother stripped the body off the car and the roof roll bars bent down when it slammed down. The chassis originally came from a manufacturer in the states. They watched the incar video and basically said that the roof shouldn't have bent down and offered to buy the bare chassis back off him to study to make improvements to future chassis they build. And they had a 2 year old winning car someone else had traded in for a new model. They sold it to him for a big discount.

Last weekend, he set out to race 5 hrs away from me. They practiced Saturday but got rained out Sunday. This weekend is the grand opening for our local track. Last fall was a special invitational event where the track was leased by different people. My brother is coming down for it. Sadly, I have other commitments but plan on attending Sunday.
Here's the new car.

FB_IMG_1654176168337.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
His first outing in the car was a bust literally. Due to bad fuel, he blew 7 pistons and cracked the block. He's now running an open engine with a new racing carb he just got from down in nascar country. He's been running his normal 3 tracks closer to home but is here for this week's racing. It was supposed to be last night but got rained out part way through.

Anyways, here's some drone footage of the racing from last week. I was there.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
He went out on Wednesday and didn't even turn a lap at speed before the skies opened up. He came back starting the bmain in the back working his way from 11th to 5th and they only advanced the top 3 to the feature. That meant he from 5 hrs away to only race one race.

They normally start 21 cars in the feature but this week was a special memorial race night to honor the man whose dream was to build a race track and bring racing back to the city for the first time in 30 years. (We had a small track way out in the remote country side a 40 minute drive from here that did a once a year event only every fall.) The whole area where the track and parking is located was nothing more than a muskeg swamp which required 10 years worth of fill being brought in to fill the swamp before they could even begin to build the track. He worked tirelessly to make it happen but less then a year before the track was complete, he passed away from cancer. His car number was 22.

Because of this, they wanted 22 cars in the field and gave a provisional starting spot to my brother starting him last in a field of 22. It was a 50 lap race. He was able to work his way up to 13th place.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The original track promoter was also a racer in the same class as my brother. After he passed away, the family wanted to include his car as a promotional tool for the track. So they raised it up and placed it on a concrete support right at the entrance to the track.

FB_IMG_1659090567615.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like my brother's race season is done. He was at a 2 day race weekend. The first night was rained out so apparently things got a little rowdy at night with the racers all staying in the pits. Alcohol may or may not have been a factor. 🤣

Screenshot_20220822-164809_Facebook.jpg

Tech011

That's fantastic! Thank you for the dirt track as well as your brother's success in acquiring the trailer and car. This is an amazing possibility for you to join your siblings to chase your dreams of racing. Take advantage of the process of making the track more ready to race and having a blast in the coming spring season when racing season begins!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've been slacking on the updates here. My brother has been racing full time every week at our local track making the 4 hour drive every week. My son has been helping him out in the pits every week but had to work this week. I went to help last night.

My brother's biggest problem is that he has has 3 strokes in the past 7 years and no longer has any feeling or muscle control in his left hand without looking at it so when he goes to put on his helmet and safety neck restraint, he can't feel to grab the straps and clamp them to his helmet the in the car, can't reach for his left shoulder belt. Then guide him in and out of his pit stall. I also changed a couple of rear tires between raves and helped quickly remove and straighten a rear quarter panel after another car turned in to his left rear to avoid a spinning car below. The back drivers side tire jumped over the left front of the other car and mangled the panel. The sides just bolt on. Even at that, the biggest loss of the night was a battery charger that wasn't disconnected before he left the pits. It just ripped the cord in half which I repaired.

He started 7th and finished 6th in his heat. Top 4 transfer to the a main which put us starting 3rd in the b main. He worked his way to second with a half a straightaway to the third place car in a field of 20 cars. That transfered us to the a main where he started at the back and stayed there to avoid carnage as he is racing tonight 4 hrs away and didn't want to have to fix the car.

20230817_165453.jpg
20230817_170923.jpg