• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

One of the best TEAM USA athletes just got suspended for smoking weed

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
There are some interesting questions to be posed here. Many states have decriminalized smoking pot, others have outright legalized it. But it is still illegal on the federal level. So the Americans follow the federal laws for our Olympic athletes. Many of us also yell and scream about how "states rights" are more important and overrule federal laws. This is particularly true for gun owners who advocate for sanctuary laws from federal laws. So why shouldn't federal laws on marijuana be dismissed in favor of state laws?

Seems to me we need our best athletes to represent the nation at the Olympics. Smoking pot should not disqualify an athlete as long as they don't break state laws.

One of America’s Best Athletes Was Barred From the Olympics for Smoking Weed in 2021

Her suspension ends in time for her to compete in relays

Sha’Carri Richardson
Two weeks ago, Sha’Carri Richardson finished first in the Olympic trials for the 100-meter dash with a time of 10.86 seconds. For outside observers, this was exciting news, heralding an excellent performance by one of America’s top athletes. Things have changed rapidly in the last day, with sports reporter Tyler Dragon noting on Thursday night that Richardson had failed a drug test.

Friday morning brought confirmation — Richardson had indeed tested “positive for a chemical found in marijuana,” according to the Associated Press’s report. Her 30-day suspension ends on July 27, which means that she could still compete in the women’s relays; she will, however, be unable to compete in the 100-meter dash.

According to the AP’s report, Richardson admitted to smoking weed after learning about the death of her biological mother. As a reminder, marijuana is now legal in a growing number of states, and has been decriminalized in even more. The same is true around the globe, where several countries have legalized weed for recreational use and even more have decriminalized it.​
The US Anti-Doping Agency continues to bar marijuana use, though athletes using CBD is — according to the agency’s website — fine. This is in sync with a global policyfrom the World Anti-Doping Agency, which permits 30-day suspensions if the athlete in question “can establish that the use of a substance of abuse was out-of-competition and unrelated to sport performance.”

Even so, it’s alarming to see that the WADA’s policies don’t take into account something that’s legal across much of the globe. You wouldn’t penalize an athlete for drinking a glass of wine or beer — and, including many states around the country (including the one where Richardson competed to secure her place in the Tokyo Olympics), there’s no legal difference between that and ingesting weed.​

MNwr786

Frustrating, isn't it? Pot's only negative side effect is a lack of motivation. If you can manage to compete in the Olympics while smoking the reefer, F*** anyone else's opinion! The problem on the federal level is that the government has a patent on the use of cannabis for certain medical reasons (not sure if they still hold it, but its US Pat. #6630507), and if they don't profit from it, they don't tolerate it. The green stuff did slow me down and I am glad to be off it. But cause problems for society, no it does not! It helped me far more than it hurt me and I'd gladly take a puff if someone came here with a bag and a willingness to share! Now that legal delta 8 shit they push in head shops here, that messes with my heart arrhythmia issue. If I eat a 200mg candy bar made of that garbage, someone better call an ambulance!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm a happy bourbon drinker.

How is alcohol significantly different than marijuana? I can't imagine smoking pot is particularly good for you. But drinking alcohol is known for having detrimental side effects too.

Neither seems to be too addictive for the majority of the population. Perhaps enjoyable. But not addictive.

I'm feel sorry for the people who think "the law says . . . " and want to arrest people. While I personally think smoking pot is stupid, I admit that I sip bourbon. So maybe I'm at least a partial hypocrite. But I don't think that smoking pot should disqualify an athlete. Especially since so many states have effectively made it legal.

MNwr786

I'm a happy bourbon drinker.

How is alcohol significantly different than marijuana? I can't imagine smoking pot is particularly good for you. But drinking alcohol is known for having detrimental side effects too.

Neither seems to be too addictive for the majority of the population. Perhaps enjoyable. But not addictive.

I'm feel sorry for the people who think "the law says . . . " and want to arrest people. While I personally think smoking pot is stupid, I admit that I sip bourbon. So maybe I'm at least a partial hypocrite. But I don't think that smoking pot should disqualify an athlete. Especially since so many states have effectively made it legal.
I'm destined for liver failure too, in fact, I believe pot may have been more healthy than my drinking habit. But when you think about it, what defines a "drug"? The real answer is not in the definition of a "drug", ask any person with a legit dependency on pharmaceuticals, the issue is one of social acceptance. That is true whether you smoke pot, drink, or take anti-seizure medication. Nancy Reagan (nothing against Ronald) started the propaganda that is Dare and took the healthiest natural substance (pot) and called it a "gateway" drug simply because it was the easiest to get. I started with white powders and ended with pot, Nancy had it wrong! I started with cocaine, and two weeks into a rock-solid brick of pure Peruvian, my heart had crawled to a stop. The last thing I remembered was laying on the floor with my feet on the coffee table and counting 14 seconds between heart beats. It was the most peaceful, relaxing, all my worries didn't matter kinda feeling I've ever felt, and everything went dark on me. About 20 minutes later, I realized I didn't die. Right then, two ounces went down the toilet and I haven't touched it since. I settled on pot as my go-to feel-good and have wanted to beat Nancy Reagan's ass ever since she started her ignorant war on the people. Now, I just abuse my liver, something that is known to kill people slowly, unlike pot.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm clearly not one to judge her as I'd be a seriously deranged hypocrite for doing so given that I enjoy spirits, which, at one time, were banned in this country. Maybe it is time to revisit the federal laws prohibiting marijuana use.

And in her own words ... full article at the link here is just the first portion of the article:

Sha’Carri Richardson slams the ‘perfect people’ commenting on Olympic ban for weed saying ‘I’m glad I’m not one of them’

Jon Rogers12:28 ET,
SHA’CARRI Richardson has hit back at the “perfect people” who have been commenting on her Olympic ban for smoking weed.​
Richardson, 21, is currently the fastest woman in the US but was handed a one-month ban by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) after she tested positive for THC, a chemical found in marijuana.​
Richardson has said she was 'triggered' by the death of her mom

8​
Richardson has said she was 'triggered' by the death of her momCredit: Getty​
Richardson hit out at her critics on Twitter

8​
Richardson hit out at her critics on TwitterCredit: Getty​
Richardson took to social media to voice her opinion

8​
Richardson took to social media to voice her opinionCredit: Twitter​
She apologized once again for her actions

8​
She apologized once again for her actionsCredit: Twitter​
Richardson hit out at the 'perfect people' critizing her

8​
Richardson hit out at the 'perfect people' critizing herCredit: Twitter​
The ban means she will miss out on competing in the 100m sprint at the upcoming Olympic Games in Tokyo, although she could still be part of the relay team at the Games as the ban will have expired by the time it is run.​
Richardson took to her Twitter page to clap back at all the commentators who had criticized her actions.​
She wrote: "The support (heart emojis) my community I thank y’all, the negative forget y’all and enjoy the games because we all know it won’t be the same."​
"I’m sorry, I can’t be y’all Olympic Champ this year but I promise I’ll be your World Champ next year.”​
She added: "All these perfect people that know how to live life, I'm glad I'm not one of them!"​
President Joe Biden appeared to support the IOC decision when he was asked for his thoughts during a July 4 weekend visit to Michigan.​
Joe Biden appeared to support the IOC decision by saying 'rules are rules'

8​
Joe Biden appeared to support the IOC decision by saying 'rules are rules'Credit: Reuters​
Joe Biden told reporters: “Rules are rules.”​
"The rules are the rules and everybody knows of the rules going in," Biden said.​
"Whether they should remain the rules is a different issue, but the rules are the rules. ... But I was really proud of the way she responded.”​
Richardson, America’s fastest woman, previously said in a tweet, “I am human” and said during an interview on the Today show last Friday that she was “triggered” by the death of her mom.​
Richardson is currently the fastest woman in the US

8​
Richardson is currently the fastest woman in the USCredit: Reuters​
"I was definitely triggered and blinded by emotions, blinded by badness, and hurting, and hiding hurt," she said.​
"I know I can’t hide myself, so in some type of way, I was trying to hide my pain."​
In an "emotional panic," she said she took marijuana which resulted in her failed drugs test.​

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Bottom line, legal or not, it is not permitted if you are to compete in the Olympics. Done, end of story.

She had choices. She made a bad one. Quit blaming the law as unfair or silly. This has nothing to do with the laws of the land, but the rules of the competition.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Yeah, like there is no financial reward for winning at the Olympics. Not that there hasn't been cheating going on forever at the Olympic level but at the end of the day if you want to get that gold medal then you need to play by their rules.

This rule isn't a government rule. It's set by the International Olympic Committee. It's their "platform" so they get to set the rules.

I guess maybe I'll give this one to Crazy Joe - he at least got one thing right.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah, like there is no financial reward for winning at the Olympics. Not that there hasn't been cheating going on forever at the Olympic level but at the end of the day if you want to get that gold medal then you need to play by their rules.

This rule isn't a government rule. It's set by the International Olympic Committee. It's their "platform" so they get to set the rules.

I guess maybe I'll give this one to Crazy Joe - he at least got one thing right.
Yeah, it is a little embarrassing to agree with Sleepy Joe. But he did get this one right. Perhaps it's the Senility?