• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New vrs. old

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Steam engines aren't what this guy should try and out pull.....:whistling:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLQhvruimfs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLQhvruimfs[/ame]

Easy peesy...

Kirk

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
With the angle on the drag bar he never stood a chance. Also has to do with mass and inertia and the low grunt power of those big old things.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I noticed this too. But I don't think it would make any difference. That old steamer weighs qite a bit more than the 3208 Cat engined JD tractor does. Near the end, the JD drags the steamer into his ruts and the tow strap is nearly level, and there was no difference. Clearly the steam tractor was pulling more, as it weighs more. And it makes maximum torque at 1 RPM.....

The steamer had a BIG fire and full steam preasure. Notce the pop off valve venting while they hook them together. He was ready for action, he was.

It's Fun I think, to see things like this to put a little piece history into perspective.....

Regards, Kirk

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
No matter how smart, lithe and young David is, Goliath still wins most of the time.

Old stuff just cranks on.

Also keep in mind the Steam tractor was STOCK against a machine built to do tractor pulls. The little guy never had a chance.

Good find Kirk

BTW, but 4 big steel wheels under the boiler and two sets of four little wheels front and rear,,, and the "tractor" woud be a steam locomotive.
Like I said, the Deere never had a chance

Last edited:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good find Kirk. :thumb: I like watching those to. It does put it in perspective and shows the power of these big hunks of Iron. :tiphat:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
After this....

2012Fostersthreashingbee.jpg

I knew the new tractor was in trouble. I rode a 10 bottom plow fully in the ground, and stopped, pulled up to speed like it was nothing. Max torque at 1 RPM...

Regards, Kirk

thepooguy

the hook up wasnt really fair. the steamer was picking up on the jd and taking off what little weight it did have on the rear tires. plus the jd wasnt in 4wd. also weight goes along ways to added traction.....its why they have weight classes! i see 20hp steamers out pull 100 hp tractors all day......but the modern tractor will plow 5 times more acres in a day due to speed.....but the life of an old steamers engine will overall plow more acres in its lifetime due to the higher amout of cu in per hp. its allways a catch 22, just depends on how big of a hurry your in......and todays times we seem to be speed orientated rather than concerned with longevity. i do however, with extreme prejudice, prefer the old "built with pride" last forever machines, that made a town stand in awe when they drove through on their threshing routes. not to highjack a thread but heres a clip of one of my oil pulls on a thresher. even though its only a 25 hp tractor it will pull 5 16in bottom plows all day without taxing its engine.....its just REAL slow. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl8vtRF5G00"]Threshing - YouTube[/ame] i have long ago sold all my steamers due to the age of the boilers and the new regulations of certifying them.

thepooguy

contests yes........but not much of a prize for the winner. mostly just for fun and to hear the huge bore 2 cylinder engines thump. the cross crank 2 bangers allways out pull the inline 4s and 6s hp to hp......and sound SOOOOO MUCH COOLER. ill try to load a video of a 66 bottem plow being pulled by some HUGE oil pulls. the last one of these tractors at auction ....after buyers premium and taxes, brought about 270,000 bucks! this as of right now is the world record for plowing![ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLNQyJqcE5I"]WORLD PLOWING RECORD 66 bottom plow - YouTube[/ame]

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I have to think a big budd could pull that unit and a screaming Detroit v-12 92t sounds pretty cool to as long as you don't have to work around it all day

thepooguy

well big bud has only pulled a 15 bottem plow and is 900 hp. the four rumelys there have a rating of 30 hp on the drawbar each! thats only 120 hp total! in reality i think they have f^$&$ed with hp rating over the years. i have a 5 hp gardner denver air compressor that i paid $4800 for in 1990........stupid me.......sams club has 5hp compressors for 800 bucks! AND THERE ALOT LIGHTER too! does anyone here know about hp ratings.......ive heard about duty rating vs actual?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
HP is a derived number. RPM and torque are measured, and then HP is calculated.

The equation is HP= Torque (lb/ft) X RPM Divided by 5252

As RPM increass Hp goes up dramatically. This is why I believe that the old and slow engines compare so well. High rotational enertia, as the parts are huge, and very high torque ratings at low RPM's. The advantage in the day was extremely long life from low RPM's and surprising effeincy as well due to low speed, extracting more heat energy from the air fuel charge. Gramp's was no dummy, I think....

My Hart Parr 18/36 makes about 45 HP at the belt, but at only 900 RPM. ( they weere actually rate very conservatively, and Nebraska tests point this out) If we could only sqeeze 2,500 PRM out of it you would be surprised at the HP a 500 cubic inch 2 cylinder could make. Alas at 2,500 rpm it would a big pile of scap with connecting rods poking out the bottom end...

Regards, Kirk