• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Muskeg hull rebuild

J5 Bombardier

I finally finished my muskeg hull, sand blasted and primed the hull over two days . Blasted the bottom and primed on thurs ,then flipped right side up and finished the top today. Both bumpers and fenders and one axle were replaced and the rails needed some pipes changed. Many years as a drilling rig took its toal on the machine, but hopefully when finished it will be ready for some weekend playing !
J5 Bombardier:flagcan:

Attachments

• DSCN1775.jpg
    DSCN1775.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 3,000
  • DSCN2577.jpg
    DSCN2577.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 2,979
  • DSCN2589.jpg
    DSCN2589.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 3,004

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow it looks pretty rough in that first picture! Much improved in the other two. Looks like you've got a great start on that project.

Keep the photos coming!

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
It looks great :thumb:

Looks like you had to do quite a bit of fabricating ...

Is this the hull that the diesel engine goes in ?

What color are you going to paint it ? :mrgreen:

J5 Bombardier

Hi Pixie
Yes, I'll put the ISUZU motor in during my next vacation,the mounts are ready. As for hull color, it will be like Henry Ford, { You can have it in any color as long as it's BLACK !}
What are the chances I can borrow that nice painted up Bombardier cab of yours for the winter ? P.S. I got my refund back from the post office. J5 Bombardier:biggrin:

J5 Bombardier

:flagcan:Started on my muskeg cab this weekend, cut down on the fabrication by using a set of truck doors. Cab is hinged on front to tip forward for ease of maintenance.
J5 Bombardier

Attachments

• DSCN2840_2.jpg
    DSCN2840_2.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 2,755

snowbird

Super idea to create a tilting cab. I'm hoping I don't have to work inside my Bombardier SkiDozer cab. Keep up the good work and pictures.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
WOW ! That's going to be Great :clap:

What was this machine used for in it's previous life ? The legs you are using interest me ....

J5 Bombardier

Hi Pixie
Thanks for the comments, previous life it was a drill machine and another owner after that would rent a small tracked hoe , drive it onto the back and use it to open up beaver dams. Which pretty much broke everything !The steel wheels work good ,I can move the machine around the shop.
You should have lent me your cab Pixie, I would have had it back by the spring with no scratches, Scouts Honor !
J5 Bombardier

J5 Bombardier

Thanks again to all for your thoughts. The doors came off a freightliner cab, my buddy is doing the same type of project only he is using international doors. As long as they have a piano hinge mounting it makes life easy. Tubing I'm using 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 1/8'' , around 6 lengths should do it. This is going to be a bush machine sometimes carrying a wood clam hanging over the roof so I'm leaning toward a 1/8'' roof and 16 gauge on the sides,I'm not sure yet.
J5 Bombardier:flagcan:

J5 - With the .125 and .0625 are you going to stitch weld the panel to the tubular or plug weld it? I have had good luck with .125 not warping but .0625 seem to do it's own thing..

J5 Bombardier

I figured on tack welding on the inside and spotwelding along the edges. The back corners and the front cowl is what I'm debating on. What to do at these seams- covering strip ? Have to do some figuring on that one.
J5 Bombardier

J5 Bombardier

Finished fabbing up the sheet metal on my muskeg.I still have to weld up the hyd and fuel tanks, mount the seats on them, finish fitting the doors and tear everything down for paint.
J5 Bombardier

Attachments

• DSCN3255.jpg
    DSCN3255.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 2,495
  • DSCN3257.jpg
    DSCN3257.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 2,487

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice work, J5 Bombardier!, what are you using for a engine? tranny? or sticking with the factory one?

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Looks great !!!! You do excellent work ! I love the little visor :)

I'll be looking forward to updates :clap:

J5 Bombardier

Thanks Boggie and Pixie
Engine is a 6 cyl isuzu with 5 speed manual, tight fit in a 24 inch hull ! Glad you like the sun visor Pixie, I hope the 1/8'' plate roof doesn't rust out !
J5 Bombardier:smile:

Attachments

• DSCN3259.jpg
    DSCN3259.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 2,369

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
verry nice work wished i had the time to put into something like a ground up restoration but i have 16 years before i get rid of the last kid hope i can still move around then i will try

J5 Bombardier

Well it's been a while, the wheels turn slowly on this restoration,had to dig back quite a way for this thread. The cab is painted and back on the hull for the last time, same for the motor, ran it on a test stand to check for any leaks,don't want any surprises when it's in the hull.
Hopefully will get the rest of the pieces primed and painted as the summer winds down.
J5 Bombardier

Attachments

• DSCN3879Kyle Logging.jpg
    DSCN3879Kyle Logging.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 2,147
  • DSCN3884Kyle Logging.jpg
    DSCN3884Kyle Logging.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 2,120

northeastheavy

What a great job, Will be like a new $100k machine when you are done!
What Isuzu diesel did you use. Was it an older mechanical unit? What model Isuzu did it come out of. Need a engine and trans for the J-8. I hear they fit well. Figured one in the 130hp to 175hp would be plenty power. May only need a 4cyl Isuzu for that hp. Trying to find out what is best to look for??? Any help is much appreciated!!!!

J5 Bombardier

What a great job, Will be like a new $100k machine when you are done!
What Isuzu diesel did you use. Was it an older mechanical unit? What model Isuzu did it come out of. Need a engine and trans for the J-8. I hear they fit well. Figured one in the 130hp to 175hp would be plenty power. May only need a 4cyl Isuzu for that hp. Trying to find out what is best to look for??? Any help is much appreciated!!!!

My 6cyl Isuzu came out of a GMC Forward truck, mechanical, non turbo, usually the bodies on these trucks pack it in first,up here in the salt. The Forwards also come with a 4 cyl turbo charged, nice and short with standard trans, perfect for a J5.They will fit in the tub,you can clock the starter for more clearance,also a rad from a M37 dodge army truck will fit.
J5 Bombardier

northeastheavy

Thanks!!! The 4cyl turbo sounds great!!! Much appreciated!! Again, your Muskeg is real nice!!!! Be done for this winter?????

J5 Bombardier

Thanks!!! The 4cyl turbo sounds great!!! Much appreciated!! Again, your Muskeg is real nice!!!! Be done for this winter?????

Thanks Northeastheavy
Hopefully the Muskeg will be finished this winter . The painting is what I dislike the most, even punching belt holes is preffered to that job. Once that's done I 'll enjoy doing the hydraulic and electrics.
J5 Bombardier:smile:

benz9

J5B, if you need a hand rebuilding the tracks...on weekends, just PM me. I hate bodywork/paint too....hahaha

Excellent job so far, you are a master fabricator by far!

J5 Bombardier

J5B, if you need a hand rebuilding the tracks...on weekends, just PM me. I hate bodywork/paint too....hahaha

Excellent job so far, you are a master fabricator by far!

Stop it Benz9 ! I want my head to fit inside my new cab ! As a one man show, I can keep this thread going for YEARS !Cause that's how long it takes me to rebuild a Muskeg , in my spare time.
J5 Bombardier

benz9

:yum:(got a mental picture of a big head that won't fit in the new cab)
We all do what we can I guess, just some of us have more experience. As I read your thread about running the engine on a test bed to check for leaks, I was thinking, hmmmm, I should have done that (I didn't remove the engine this year). The very next day, I find a leak in one of the valve covers (fixed by tightening up the screw) and the fuel pump just pissing gazoline into the bottom of the hull. It's a tight fit to get that pump out once the manifold is in place. Used some chemical gasket and it did the trick. Just happy it's happening now and not when it's cold. The best to you, J5B, hope it's done for the winter.
BTW, if you don't have your hole punches, I saw a set at Princess Auto for under 3$. You get what you pay for, but at that price, might as well pick up 2????

J5 Bombardier

Just about finished painting,I have to paint the outside of the doors and the dash and that should be about it. Thought I would concentrate on some suspension work,replaced two axles on the rear beams today and started sorting out my solid and air wheels.
J5 Bombardier

Attachments

• 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,199
  • 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,206

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Looks great !!! I'm happy to see everything coming together :clap: