• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Military snowtrac

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I have started work on 01 RN 75, thought you might like to see some piccys.

Attachments

• 01 RN 75 02.jpg
    01 RN 75 02.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,862
  • 01 RN 75 002 (1).jpg
    01 RN 75 002 (1).jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,880

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Did you tear part of the cab off? Are you planning on keeping the white color?

hello ice queen just aquired 52RN64 s/n 1575 spiffing site 'what o'. Lots of cool lateral thinking, on hard to get parts to keep these machines running. Thanks everyone for all your info. heres a few pics for now. Tally ho!!

Attachments

• Jims pics 2010 584.jpg
    Jims pics 2010 584.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,819
  • Jims pics 2010 595.jpg
    Jims pics 2010 595.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 1,822
  • Jims pics 2010 596.jpg
    Jims pics 2010 596.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,816

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey Muleman I did not tear off the cab, it doesn't have one in military operation, it has a canvas hood, which I now have, but needs repair. The frame it goes on also needs some work. Yes it will be white and black, snow camo as I am aiming to get it to look like the only picture I have of the vehicle when it was in service. I am so lucky to have a picture of it as there are very few pictures of the snowtracs in the military. See attached picture.

Snowtrac Jim have you got the original plate to give you the registration? You are going to have fun restoring that one, are you going to put it back to military spec? I have a few pictures of the military ones so if you are, let me know and I will do my best to help. I have looked through my pictures and I cannot find one with your registration, but many others if you want to restore it to military.

Attachments

• 01RN75 old.jpg
    01RN75 old.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,785
good morning snow queen all cab plates missing. found s/n plate under reflector and lots of paint .redg number stamped on lifting eyes. will stay mili tary to match my land rovers. looking into getting variator belts sent to uk.thanks

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Jim, looks like you've got a pretty big project on your hands. I've seen IceQueen's Snow Tracs, she does a great job with her restorations. I'm sure she can help you source some of the parts without having to have them shipped into the UK because there is probably a parts source that is more local to you. I'd be surprised if there isn't a source for the variator belt somewhere in the the UK.

Good luck with your project and please keep the photos coming as you proceed.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Jim are you in the UK too? I am also on the hunt for variator belts and I have a couple of leads, if I find a source, do you require one? I am intrigued about the number being stamped on the lifting eyes, do you mean the ones on the bonnet or the ones in the cab? I haven't looked for mine there, so would be most interested to know where you found yours. Looking at your pictures, yours is one is service later than mine, as the picture I have is of it in Norway on the 9th of March 1976. As you can just see in the old picture it had the original lifting eyes near the bumper, see the cutouts on the later pictures of it in the barn and also the newer lifting brackets now on the bonnet area. I hope that makes sense, it is a bit complicated to explain, especially at 4.30.a.m.! I am pleased that you are going to restore yours to military spec. do you plan to take it to classic, vintage and military rallies etc? Are your landrovers military also? I also have an ex-military landrover, but it is poorly at present and needs a decent engine, which is not something I can do.

hello from todmoden, a few photys for the snow queen. the L/R 109 is S/N 20 of series 2a, one of 11 for36 reg. royal artillery thunderbird 2 missile in the late sixties.also have big light weight l/Rand a110 HCPU plus rotbox disco and two fantastic girls Amelie-15 months and mum Sian.we are similar vintage to L/W and S/T 1971 will try to get pics to load better with welder and spanner than computer this has taken longer than an engine change lots to keep me busy hope to get some shows in this year bye for now.

Attachments

• Jims pics 2010 285.jpg
    Jims pics 2010 285.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,691
  • Jims pics 2010 041.jpg
    Jims pics 2010 041.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,698
and I'll have another goat snow trac pics... I started this epic post over 2 and a half hours ago. goocnighty :hammer:

Attachments

• Jims pics 2010 583.jpg
    Jims pics 2010 583.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,682
  • Jims pics 2010 582.jpg
    Jims pics 2010 582.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,683
  • Jims pics 2010 612.jpg
    Jims pics 2010 612.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 1,694
  • Jims pics 2010 614.jpg
    Jims pics 2010 614.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,671
  • Jims pics 2010 028.jpg
    Jims pics 2010 028.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,660

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I am very interested in the stamping of the number on the lifting eyes, I wouldn't have thought they would bother! I will have to have a look to see if mine are stamped, though I don't think so. I have finished making the pattern for the screen cover (old newspapers!) and hope to cut it out sometime today in canvas. I have made one before for the 'prototype' and threw the pattern away, didn't imagine I would have to make another. This time I will keep the pattern so if you need it, you are welcome. I see you are another nutcase (into preservation), it is good to know there are others out there trying to preserve the military vehicles! I have attached a picture of 'Dixie' going to War and Peace in Kent, last year, as a long wheel base, she is too big to go in the back of the 'Norsebox', I think I had the Jeep in there as the internal winch had not been connected up so couldn't take a snowtrac. Landrover is called Dixie because her registration is DXC, she was a training vehicle at Brize Norton and has done very little except being taken to a plane and straped down, untied and taken back to her parking place. Unfortunately, before I had her, she had her good petrol engine changed and a diesel put in, but sadly that was a gutless wonder and now is only firing on three and sounding like a box of bolts! She came home from her MOT on a recovery vehicle! With test on her, I might add!! I added the hardtop as I only have the rear part of the frame for the canvas, I don't have the part that goes above the doors and windscreen, though I have managed to get a canvas. She had a cab hardtop on when I had her and I have changed this for a full top as I need to be able to sleep in her when she goes alone to rallies. This is a mad hobby, why do we do it?

Attachments

• Scania and Dixie 004.jpg
    Scania and Dixie 004.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,636

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
snowtrac jim, I noticed some changes on your vatiator. You have six bolts holding the top on and I have three. Also I see clips instead of cotter keys.
Jim

hi jim (this seems like talking to my self). maybe why it dont work so good. only just got the machine. as the previous owner called it.hoping a new belt will help thanks

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I managed to cut out the pattern for the screen cover in newspaper and have now cut it out in canvas, tomorrow I hope to get it stitched. The first picture shows the original cover and the second one is the one I am making. I am hoping to get the variator belt off tomorrow and then try to track down a replacement.

Attachments

• 01 RN 75 Screen cover 002.jpg
    01 RN 75 Screen cover 002.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,542
  • 01 RN 75 Screen cover 001.jpg
    01 RN 75 Screen cover 001.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,537
evening snow queen.managed to contact mr mc'clarty about parts told me were to get parts [perthshire] bit of trek but theirs a military swap meet in perth 20th next month.sorry only one new belt.found tyres on flea bay bmw space saver 115/90r16 £10. 4.00x4 mobility scooter solid rubber 4 for £40 . once fitted i can have ago at driving it.got to save up for trelborgs. dont do credit{debt}. after over 20 year engineering/weder/fabricator i'm now the cutter for www.safespaces.co.uk one of the last few manufacturing jobs left in broken britain.sian's one of the seamstresses there.having problems loading pics of canvas she made for my oversize light weight land rover.bye for now .ps do you still have the old tall cab.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Lucky you getting a belt, I am dead jealous! No I don't have the tall cab, that went abroad. I am hoping to get my belt off today, but we will have to see as I can't do it by myself, am not strong enough now to undo stuck nuts and things, so need help. Will keep you posted as to any progress.

hi snow queen .sizes for gates belt 2926v646 are 1, 13/16" top width 64.6" long. i think the original metric is slightly wider. just found this will try suppler tommorow if open

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Wondering if I actually need a new belt, could be another problem, but can't do it at the moment. The screen cover is complete apart from paint, which can't be done yet. Landrover on trailer now, going to have its rebuild, taking it to the Midlands tomorrow.

Hi snow queen congratulations on your lottery win:clap: What work are you having done? Sian's birthday today so not had much time to play with toys. Removed petrol tank it was full of water, been running off a gerry can, odd that original was still inside. Found lots of shotgun shells behind it, a dozen very rusty and still live, emptied the swimming pool out of the 110, chopped up my old Disco, for funds to buy Sian some new headlights for the snowtrac, for her birthday:whistling: here's some pics (everyone seems to love pics). bye for now. Jim

Attachments

• Jims pics 2010 700.jpg
    Jims pics 2010 700.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,460
  • Jims pics 2010 697.jpg
    Jims pics 2010 697.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,459
  • Jims pics 2010 694.jpg
    Jims pics 2010 694.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,439
  • Jims pics 2010 619.jpg
    Jims pics 2010 619.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,439
  • Jims pics 2010 649.jpg
    Jims pics 2010 649.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,441
  • Jims pics 2010 603.jpg
    Jims pics 2010 603.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,429
hello all.hope ice queen don,t mined me useing her thred.been busy with the snow trac .finely got it drivable (just).first job was stratening the chassis I think it may have been droped .bent in middle and front wheel outrigers torn back.also dent in bulkhead posable form lifting beam.also found norwegen norma 243 case under hand brake.don,t know how to add youtube link but try snowtrac jim for clip (ps forgot that gearbox is backwords so faster than I intended :w00t2:)got lots of pics of it been worked on if required still lots to do.

Attachments

• camera.sept11 1083.jpg
    camera.sept11 1083.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,272
  • camera.sept11 715.jpg
    camera.sept11 715.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 1,279
  • camera.sept11 680.jpg
    camera.sept11 680.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,294
  • camera.sept11 771.jpg
    camera.sept11 771.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1,294
  • camera.sept11 687.jpg
    camera.sept11 687.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,277

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
It is a thread about military snowtracs, and yours is military, so welcome, add what you want! My restoration has come to a temporary stop as when the original snowtrac went to the Great Dorset it had major fuel problems, (see post about the gunge in the tank!) This has now been sorted and so has Dixie's engine problems, then a massive sort out in the barn to re-arrange vehicles so there is space to work - eight people and one weekend. The Foden has gone to the Midlands, where Dixie went, to be sorted out - too big for me to attempt and now it is the Military snowtracs turn when I have help again. Will keep you posted on this, but at present I am lying low with the 'flu - I thought flu jabs were supposed to keep you free of the flu, not give it to you!!

I have just noticed (Timba allerted me to the problem) that someone has just been up and nicked one of my big cones from the end of my drive, what on earth is going on? Do I go up and nick it back or do I challenge the person? Or do I just ignore it? Sorry nothing to do with snowtracs, but another puzzle...........!

hi ice queen hope your feeling better.there is a lot of theiving in all of england far more than gov wont us to know. so hear are some more pics from the summer.

Attachments

• camera.sept11 693.jpg
    camera.sept11 693.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 550
  • camera.sept11 708.jpg
    camera.sept11 708.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 554
  • camera.sept11 700.jpg
    camera.sept11 700.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 558
  • camera.sept11 710.jpg
    camera.sept11 710.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 558
  • camera.sept11 711.jpg
    camera.sept11 711.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 547
mystery bracket ?

Attachments

• camera.sept11 731.jpg
    camera.sept11 731.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 553
  • camera.sept11 732.jpg
    camera.sept11 732.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 547
  • camera.sept11 733.jpg
    camera.sept11 733.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 549

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That holds your heat shield in place. It is a deflecter that keeps the muffler hot air from entering the engin bay.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Thank you for your good wishes, am feeling a lot better, but still coughing, shan't have an anti-flu jab again! Cone has not been returned and no work still on the snowtrac, at present spinning and crocheting like mad, trying to make a king size bedspead for a wedding present - wedding this month!

Have you managed to get much work done on your snowtrac? You may well need it soon with winter fast approaching.

got the snow trac just about driveable my first go is on you tube type in snowtrac jim.I forgot that gearbox is backwords so a bit faster than I wud have liked seconed gear in sted of first:whistling:if anyone can link the clip please do.the mystery bracket is under all of heat sheilding and not used. long slots look like ajusters like on a fan belt?.

Attachments

• camera.sept11 983.jpg
    camera.sept11 983.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 518
  • camera.sept11 861.jpg
    camera.sept11 861.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 517
  • camera.sept11 870.jpg
    camera.sept11 870.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 518
  • camera.sept11 768.jpg
    camera.sept11 768.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 527
  • camera.sept11 848.jpg
    camera.sept11 848.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 523
more pics. small wheels seemed to take forever lots of rusty bolts not looking forewords to doing the tracks maybe next year.

Attachments

• camera.sept11 781.jpg
    camera.sept11 781.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 514
  • camera.sept11 874.jpg
    camera.sept11 874.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 511
  • camera.sept11 875.jpg
    camera.sept11 875.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 512
  • camera.sept11 877.jpg
    camera.sept11 877.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 511

mackE

The mystery bracket is for the speedometer cable support.

Attachments

• support.jpg
    support.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 507
thank you mackE :clap:.photos very helpful heres some more

Attachments

• camera.sept11 882.jpg
    camera.sept11 882.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 503
  • camera.sept11 871.jpg
    camera.sept11 871.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 502
  • camera.sept11 737.jpg
    camera.sept11 737.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 494
  • camera.sept11 937.jpg
    camera.sept11 937.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 499
  • camera.sept11 942.jpg
    camera.sept11 942.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 499

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I see, I think, that you are going to paint it green, hope it is a military green - am I the only one that has a black and white camo. snowtrac?