• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Long Time Lurker - First Time Poster

paulhenry

Hello everyone. I have been researching the forum for some time getting info on parts, repairs and improvements. Thought I had better pony up a post.

My cat is a 1986 SV252 Skidozer. It has an 8 way blade, interchangable with an 8 foot powered snowblower remotely controled from the cab. Oh, and my favorite - Air-Ride compressor adjustable seats. I am still sorting out all the hydraulics. 6 circuits up front and 3 in the rear - but I have need to install another controller actuator somewhere to utilize them all.

I have hopefully attached some photos for those visually oriented like me.

My girls and I live in southern Utah @ about 9000 ft in the snowbelt. I use the cat for work and pleasure: snow removal at our home - about 1/4 mile drive with 100 ft elevation and to clear side roads out to the main county road, groom about 30 miles of trails behind our house going up to an elevation of 10,500. I use a drag from Valley Engineering and am searching out compactor bars for our very dry powder. I have added a cherry picker to the back bed for snowmobile recovery and I also load one of my machines piggyback when I groom late at night. We also use it to take all the kids snowboard friends up the top and let them board down the main 10 mile trail.

Have learned alot about the unit here, have obtained original operator and repair manuals which I intend to digitize and post this summer.

If anyone has a lead on a compactor bar unit that might work for this unit, please give me heads up. Thanks!

I kid with friends that when I go out alone in the cat I always take a snowmobile, snowshoes, a 9mm and a quarter. If the cat breaks and the snowmobile won't start, I flip the coin to see if I'll put on the snowshoes or swallow the 9mm. (JUST KIDDING! In case the humor impaired are reading.) A friend once suggested I put the snowshoes on and start walking - I could always go to plan "B" later. I'll take that under advisement.

OK - have rambled on enough for now....

Anyways, enjoy the community and hope to converse with you all later.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 400
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 390
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 399
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 401

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum, paulhenry :wave:

Good looking cat with some good mods :thumb:

That snowblower looks like it makes quick work of a driveway !

Polar

Nice rig and welcome to the Forum. What width are those tracks and how does your machine perform in the deep Utah podwer (off trail)?

paulhenry

The tracks are 30" with two 12" belts per track. The flotation is very good even with the blower weighing in @ nearly 1000lbs hung out front - also the gas tank has been upsized to 50 gallons due to the blower engine sucking off the main tank. A recent storm left over 30" of fresh powder and had no problems - I had to take a break and water the trees and when I stepped out dropped into snow up to my chest - had to "swim" back. I believe the specs are about .85 on this unit.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Welcome Paul. Awesome 1st post with pictures and all the info. That is worth 10 rep points for you. Good job. :thumb: :a1:

paulhenry

Since I enjoy photos - here are some photos of other cats that live in our neighborhood.

The Tucker and Bombi live on the next hilltop and the Thiokol lives in the Valley below me.

Hope you enjoy the eye candy!

paulhenry

Darn newbie - forgot to upload photos.... try again

Since I enjoy photos - here are some photos of other cats that live in our neighborhood.

The Tucker and Bombi live on the next hilltop and the Thiokol lives in the Valley below me.

Hope you enjoy the eye candy!

Attachments

• green monster.pg.jpg
    green monster.pg.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 353
  • dc bombi.jpg
    dc bombi.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 351
  • big red.jpg
    big red.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 352

Catless

Paul:

Thanks for the pictures! What year is the Tucker 542 ACF? Sweetly restored machine! I may own it's sister/brother. I don't think there are too many of these "look like a Thiokol but designed/built by Tucker" sno-cats around but (anyone) please correct me if I am wrong.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Catless, I think they still make those wide body (fat cat) Tuckers. I know they transitioned into the 1600 series during the 70's and I think into the 80's. But I'm pretty sure Tucker still makes a version of that. You are right, they are pretty rare and don't show up too often.

paulhenry

B_Skurka said:
Catless, I think they still make those wide body (fat cat) Tuckers. I know they transitioned into the 1600 series during the 70's and I think into the 80's. But I'm pretty sure Tucker still makes a version of that. You are right, they are pretty rare and don't show up too often.

You have me there - I am a cat lover, not an afficianado like you guys. But I sure know what I like when I see it - and that was a beauty. I thought it was a Thiokol, but you do not have to get up very early to fool me!

I have several other angles on that rig, if interested - just didn't want to clutter things up if there was no interest.

Still gettin a little snow here, how about you?

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Got 4" inches yesterday. Almost all gone out of my yard. PLEASE post pictures of as many cats as you have pictures of! Clutter? How can that be clutter? Have you seen my Restoration thread. Now thats clutter!

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
More cats near paulhenry...

Attachments

• DSC00026a.JPG
    DSC00026a.JPG
    268.5 KB · Views: 240
  • DSC00027a.JPG
    DSC00027a.JPG
    284.8 KB · Views: 242
  • DSC00028a.JPG
    DSC00028a.JPG
    286.1 KB · Views: 240

paulhenry

bobpierce,

I see you went through Duck Creek! For some real interesting cats, take a short side trip through Swains Creek Subdivision just east of Duck Creek/ Strawberry - you'll find some great rigs in there.