• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Kidney stones

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Does first post to a new forum section get me a bonus point?

Heck of a way to start the "Health & Fitness" section but looking at the average age of our membership, there's got to be a few of us out here.

How many have had Kidney stones?

Count me in. Actually, I've had several.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Does first post to a new forum section get me a bonus point?

Heck of a way to start the "Health & Fitness" section but looking at the average age of our membership, there's got to be a few of us out here.

How many have had Kidney stones?

Count me in. Actually, I've had several.

I've had a couple.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've had them several times as well. For a while it was an annual event. Two years in a row I had attacks and ended up in the hospital while the lovely Mrs_B was visit her parents and she had to fly back home to tend to me. But I'm not sure how much tending she actually provided; the morphine drip they had me on at the hosptial sort of fogged my memory.

Durwood RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Lemonade or lime daily and you will have no stones as the acid keeps them from forming. Lemons and limes are real effective in this.

Dur

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I passed one in the bathroom of a 5 star restaurant in Napa, CA a couple of years ago. If you've had one, quite an ordeal trying to act normal around a bunch of executives. I hid the pain fairly well (I thought), but the profuse sweat and the blood gave up the gig. What a nice group. They helped me back to the limo, laid me in the back, and proceeded to spend another hour in the restaurant before taking me back to my hotel room. Heck, I even saved the rock. It would be nice if they were a little more rounded and not so sharp!

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
bczoom said:
looking at the average age of our membership, there's got to be a few of us out here. How many have had Kidney stones?
They aren't age specific. Mine were found at age 23 when I started experiencing severe hangovers after as little as one glass of wine. Obvious impaired kidney function, the kidneys weren't filtering junk out of the bloodstream. The stones may have been there a while before one plugged up a kidney.

That was when ultasonic shattering (whatever it's called) was experimental and not very effective, so after unsucessfully trying that, they cut me open "big enough to get both hands back in there by that kidney". Left a scar from my navel to nearly the back side of my waist.

In nearly 40 years since, I've several times had the experience of feeling borderline poisoned, then passing a stone and feeling fine again.

Now there have been several 'poisoned' episodes in the past couple of years, each accompanied by minor pain that feels like old shrapnel poking me. The shrapnel feeling has been persistent, from barely noticeable to where I finally took a Motrin to allow sleep. At that point I decided to get them removed, hopefully by sonic disintegration.

The xray tech said my pix look like astronomy photos, full of bright spots everywhere. Yep, that's what I'm feeling. Hopefully that will all be gone by summer.

OkeeDon

I've had 4, at ages 30, 35, 40 and 45. All were somewhat painful (I'm into understatement, tonight :whistle:). None required shattering or other removal; I passed them all around 3 to 8 days later. None in the last 20 years. I don't want another...

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter

Attachments

• IMG_6272rKstone.jpg
    IMG_6272rKstone.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 229

humor_me

Durwood said:
Lemonade or lime daily and you will have no stones as the acid keeps them from forming. Lemons and limes are real effective in this.
Dur

Hmmmmmm,
I guess I don't have to worry then.

I have 12 full-grown citrus trees - 5 lemon trees and 7 lime trees; that we keep stripped. Daily lemonade and limeade drinks, plenty of lime in our food too. The other 40 citrus trees are the oddball citrus fruits. Tangerines, tangelos, tangors oranges & grapefruits.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm - fresh orange juice.:thumb:

DAP

For the record, there are 2 types of stones, calcium based and alkalyne based. Depending on which you've got, diet is usually the only thing to talk about, unless you go into the tank where they zap you with sound waves to break them up.

I've passed 4 of em, 3 without any assistance of any kind, including morphine drips. The nurses all know that passing one is akin to childbirth so they are usually extra compassionate.

Oxillates - supposed to reduce foods with oxillates (black tea, nuts, citric acid) if you have the darker colored stones.

Ugh.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DAP said:
For the record, there are 2 types of stones, calcium based and alkalyne based.
If I may, I believe there's more.
Cystine stones aren't either of the aforementioned. That's what I have.
For cystine stones, you need to keep your urine in an alkaline state (to the tune of 30+ pills per day). I don't take the pills as it's more of a PITA then passing the stones.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
it's more of a PITA then passing the stones.

BC,
Sounds like you might want to read the instructions on those pills. From your quote, I'm thinking your putting them in the wrong hole. :)