• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Jeremy Renner in critical condition after Snowcat accident

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Supposed to have anti-roll over technology?

From the link in the post above:

Police have since reportedly “impounded the Snowcat” as it is supposed to have safety features that prevent rollovers.
. . .​
According to CBS News, it is now known that Renner is in “critical but stable condition.” Reports reveal that Renner was snowplowing when he sustained the injuries.
Renner’s representative Sam Mast said this in a statement released to the public: “We can confirm Jeremy is in critical but stable condition with injuries suffered after experiencing a weather-related accident while plowing snow earlier today.”

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Daily Mail website has some video and some photos.

No real details on how the accident happened. How he ran over himself.

Link to Daily Mail article >>> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ran-leg-tried-clear-path-Lake-Tahoe-home.html

A couple photos of Renner with his snowcat from the Daily Mail story.

66123947-11592427-image-a-40_1672679070438.jpg

66123941-11592427-image-a-41_1672679113519.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Apparently he got out of the PB snowcat to dig out his car, but the cat was on a hill and started to roll, he tried to get back in and it ran over him.

From the Daily Wire: https://www.dailywire.com/news/here...y-renner-was-doing-when-snowplow-ran-over-him

Video at the link above ^^^

Here’s What ‘Hawkeye’ Star Jeremy Renner Was Doing When Snowplow Ran Over Him

Virginia KrutaJan 3, 2023
Actor Jeremy Renner, 51, was reportedly attempting to dig his car from the deep snow at his home in Reno, Nevada, when the snowcat he was using ran over him and caused extensive injuries.
According to a report published Tuesday by entertainment website TMZ, Renner was working to get the car out of the snow when he got out of the vehicle to talk to someone — and when the snowcat began to roll, he attempted to get back behind the wheel.
The Washoe County Sheriff’s Office shared additional information during a press conference on Tuesday.
WATCH:
Shariff Darin Balaam confirmed that they had received a 911 call just before 9 a.m. local time on Sunday, informing them that there had been a crash — “involving a Snowcat vs. pedestrian.” He also noted that the three feet of snow that had fallen the day before — along with a number of vehicles that had been abandoned along that stretch of the road — made it difficult for first responders to get to the scene.
Just before 10 a.m. local time, Balaam said that the Life Flight crew was finally able to get to the scene, after which Renner was quickly airlifted out and taken to a nearby hospital.
Balaam went on to describe the details of the accident as best he could, noting that investigators were still speaking to witnesses and filling in gaps in the information they had gathered thus far.
The car that had been stranded, Balaam said, was Renner’s personal vehicle — “which was being driven by a family member.”
He had managed to tow the vehicle from the snow, but once he got it free, he stepped out of the Snowcat to talk to his family member — after which the Snowcat began to roll.
“In an effort to stop the rolling PistenBully, Mr. Renner tries to get back in the driver’s seat of the PistenBully. Based on our investigation, it’s at this point that Mr. Renner is run over by the PistenBully,” he continued.
“At this point in the investigation we do not believe Mr. Renner was impaired at all, and we believe this is a tragic accident,” Balaam concluded. “The investigation is ongoing, however, we do not suspect any foul play. I’ll repeat that: We do not suspect any foul play. We believe this was a tragic accident.”
Renner shared an update from his hospital bed on Tuesday, saying, “Thank you all for your kind words. Im [sic] too messed up now to type. But I send love to you all.”

I've owned both an 1982 and 1987 PB200D just like the one pictured in this accident. I've also owned a 1993 PB260D and a 2003 PB200 Edge. None of these machines automatically set the brakes when you get out of the machine and they all have a manually actuated brake lever. Even though they have hydrostatic transmissions and are resistant to rolling without control input, the pumps and servos can and do wear to the point that pump engagement can occur even when the controls are in neutral. You should always lower the blade and set the brake before getting out.

Snowcats should be operated not driven.

After all my years on the mountain with grooming machines, I still remember the first week that I started… Any time any one of the experienced mechanics looked at me they said, “if you get out of the machine, put the parking brake on.”
Then they would turn around and ask me, “what are you do when you get out of the machine?“
It went on like that for a week then after a while, there was another new guy and I got to be one of them saying, “ what are you do when you get out of the machine?”
With any hydrostatic machine, or any other machine that rolls for that matter, always – if anything is gonna work perfectly on those machines- it’s the E brake.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The prinoth husky I run for the snowmobile club has a safety switch that automatically stops and locks the drives as soon as the door is opened.

Reactions: Doc

ViaLisboa

I’m new to snowcats and their dangerous. I purchased my first snow cat, a 1966 Thiokol Imp. Is there a brake or method I should be doing when departing the cab while it’s still running to avoid such an accident? Thanks for any pointers.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you are planning to get out of the seat while the engine is running you should set the brake. I’ve never operated an Imp but I suspect there is some mechanism. If not, then power off.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Just a note on setting the brakes when getting out of a snowcat. It's the same principle as setting your air brakes on a tractor trailer before getting out. It's what killed my dad in 2021. He was driving lowbed dropping off a peice of equipment. The lowbed trailer gets uncoupled from the rest of the trailer. Dad was parked on a sloped driveway and was having difficulties lining up the gooseneck to reattach the rest of the low bed. We suspect he was in and out of the cab several times trying to line it up. When he finally lined up the gooseneck to the rest of the trailer he jumped out to finish connecting the lines and electrical. As soon as he charged the air lines, the brakes released as he missed pulling the lock buttons in the cab. He was immediately sucked under the rear tires of the truck and crushed. The truck and trailer continued rolling backwards downhill crashing through the garage of a newly built home. There were workers inside who were truck and thrown from the path of the trailer.

ViaLisboa

If you are planning to get out of the seat while the engine is running you should set the brake. I’ve never operated an Imp but I suspect there is some mechanism. If not, then power off.
To my knowledge I don’t believe there is a brake. I’ll read the manual again to cover bases.

chowderman

so . . . ethereal question here . . .
who amongst us gets out of their car and leaves the automatic transmission in "Drive?"

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
so . . . ethereal question here . . .
who amongst us gets out of their car and leaves the automatic transmission in "Drive?"
My answer to that would be depends.
Never do that in my car or truck.
In my Kubota RTV with the hydrostatic transmission I do get out with it left in drive or in reverse. I b As long as on semi level terrain i can get out and leave it running and it will just sit there till I get back in. I believe the snowcat also has the hydro tranny like the Kubota RTV's.

chowderman

I have a JD with hydro-trans . . . however in my case I have very very little "level" terrain where I would even think about dismounting without engaging the brake - hence my habit is 'pull the brake then get off'

nothing but "P" for park inhibits an auto/truck from unwanted movement - and in some cases (proven) "park" sorta' doesn't even do that.

my preference in automobiles is 'stick shift' - that is all but impossible to get anymore in anything less that a billion$ legal street racer - a non-starter for me but curiously for all the Greta-types, go from 0 to 60 in two seconds in an electric car is okay, because that requires less fossil fuel generated energy than 0 to 60 in a gas car.....

gravity rules. ignore that one and things not well go.

btw, etc: recently rented a VW Jetta - had 'automatic' - but one could push the stick to the right and engage "manual mode" and one could absolutely "force" the auto transmission into any gear 1 thru 7(!) - up or down - at any speed - rements of "clutch thingies."
driving thru the Rockies climbing ups/downs roads, the automatic would rather often go into 'hunting mode' - up/down/up/down/up/down/rinse and repeat.... and being able to force a gear made driving seriously more better.

I have a MB with such 'stick shift' marketing lies - one can force an up shift, but not a down shift.
Audi (a VW sub) has long advertised a manual over-ride, but I've not personally checked it out.
bottom line: if you want/need the absolute ability to control gear(s) - test it - don't believe the hype.....

Reactions: Doc