I miss my summer garden

Ceee

Site Supporter
Franc, have you ever tried green onions? I was cleaning some, and thought....well, the bottoms already have roots. I just stuck some down around the celery plant, and they already have some small green shoots. I figure if it doesn't work, no big deal.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Franc, have you ever tried green onions? I was cleaning some, and thought....well, the bottoms already have roots. I just stuck some down around the celery plant, and they already have some small green shoots. I figure if it doesn't work, no big deal.
Well that actually makes sense. They are bulbs that when you plant them they grow. If all you want is the greens that works until the bulbs get "tired." Chives would be a comparative example.

A herb garden for the kitchen would do well with your idea.

thanks

franc

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Yesterday we discovered something new in the garden. I've had issues with moles and voles so when I saw underground activity in the bark mulch area around the chopping block, I got worried. I was also worried as we haven't seen Appleton, the pet Missouri three toed painted box turtle for two days.

She has more than once been found on her back having tumbled off a rock wall. She usually comes out in the morning when the wife goes out with a blackberry (the fruit not the device silly, What would a turtle want with a phone?) We haven't seen her for over two days. Putting two and three together I still had no answers so,,,

So I got on BING and asked if turtles tunnel.

And yes, they do. If they get hot or plan to lay eggs, they will tunnel into the dirt to do so. The first sounding plausible and the second leaving me to wonder what our young lady has been up to whilst we were not around. I mean is there some painted up three toed stud messing around with my little girl?

We'll see.

Ceee

Site Supporter
The first sounding plausible and the second leaving me to wonder what our young lady has been up to whilst we were not around. I mean is there some painted up three toed stud messing around with my little girl?
Probably, and good for her :). I'm sure you already know this, but turtles carry salmonella.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Probably, and good for her :). I'm sure you already know this, but turtles carry salmonella.
Actually it is a problem with wild turtles. Most breed and captive ones are safe.

That said, this one is a rescue from the wild and yes we handle it with gloves or wash after.

I'm told we can have a reptilian vet clear the animal but I prefer to leave it be and we don't touch it unless we have too.

However, this girl has put herself on her back three times since I found her. Possibly because of her missing hind leg. So I will have to handle from time to time. I must be extra cautious however because I do all the cooking.

so....;
Thanks for the warning.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Appleton was out today so all is fine. I approached her, Blackberry in hand, but she went in her shell. The wife came out, called her name and she ran to her. (Yeah turtles can run) Took the blackberry right from her fingers. Me, I am the ugly mug that saved her @ss but Cathy gets the credit.

Story of my life.