• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hydroponic Gardening . . . Anyone here do it?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Kicking around some ideas on gardening (for next year) and have been watching a lot of YouTube videos on Hydroponics Gardening. It looks to be very productive and also space efficient. So I'm curious, has anyone here tried it? Does anyone here use a hydroponic system currently? Etc etc etc

Thinking of doing some "Dutch Buckets" of tomatoes, peppers, pickles, cukes, eggplants, and maybe even melons. And maybe a "gutter" or PVC tube system for strawberries, lettuce and herbs.

chowderman

I had a greenhouse - winter cultivation of stuff requires proper heat cycles, humongous light strength, and daily daily daily attention. to manage the water chemistry for hydroponics is a serious education & experience challenge.

we now use the AeroGarden stuff. rather idiot-proof - but the one drawback is the very bright light for almost all the day&night. has to be 'isolated' where the light does not disturb your other activities.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not convinced to do Hydroponics but it is interesting. I have a workshop/garage where we could do it, it is climate controlled.

There are some interesting videos on DUTCH BUCKET systems that actually look fairly simple. The water chemistry seems just a little more complicated than keeping up with my in-ground swimming pool. Adjust the PH, keep up with the nutrients, set the pump on a timer, check it a couple times a day.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
There's a difference between hydroponics and aquaponics, isn't there?

Many years ago, when I lived in Dallas, I had a friend who was a big-time gardener. All of a sudden, he almost quit conventional gardening and went full time into hydroponics. He said he became a convert after a tour at Disney World of all places. I saw what he was doing, and I understood the principle, but I could never whip up much enthusiasm for it.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Aquaponics and hydroponics are similar.

These Dutch or Bato Buckets are what really interest me. Primarily for tomatoes, peppers, cukes, sugar snap peas and possibly melons?

power1

There's a difference between hydroponics and aquaponics, isn't there?

Many years ago, when I lived in Dallas, I had a friend who was a big-time gardener. All of a sudden, he almost quit conventional gardening and went full time into hydroponics. He said he became a convert after a tour at Disney World of all places. I saw what he was doing, and I understood the principle, but I could never whip up much enthusiasm for it.
Yes, with hydroponic you only get vegetables. With aquaponics you get meat also.