• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

How the US ranks next to the rest of the world

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Although we have no idea the criteria of many of these statistics, it is an interesting read.

Statistics are wonderful subjects. One can always torture them until they say what you want.

As for "Ranks next to the rest of the world" according to our State Dept., there are 194 countries in the "rest of the world" Just putting things in context.

Some surprises in there.
Thanks for posting Joec

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Although we have no idea the criteria of many of these statistics, it is an interesting read.

Statistics are wonderful subjects. One can always torture them until they say what you want.

As for "Ranks next to the rest of the world" according to our State Dept., there are 194 countries in the "rest of the world" Just putting things in context.

Some surprises in there.
Thanks for posting Joec

Yes and from what I gathered it is mostly coming from the CIA book as listed under several of the graphs and they based it on the top 100 or so not all of them. It was ranked from the top down for what ever it was gauging.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter

Some surprises in there.
Thanks for posting Joec

"Figures often beguile me, particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed
to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: 'There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics!'"
-- Samuel Langhorn Clemmons

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
"Figures often beguile me,particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed
to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: 'There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics!'"
-- Samuel Langhorn Clemmons

I know what got you upset with the numbers DS, it was penis size erect. :yum:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
agricultural-land.jpg

The above one made me laugh. :yum::yum:

It is supposed to be the top ten countries in the world ranked by what percentage of their land is classified as agricultural.

Does anyone believe that 86.8% of Saudi Arabia is ag land? Nigeria, the top half is desert and the bottom half is jungle. Looking at the rest just makes me giggle. When filling out the answers, it's obvious someone didn't understand the questions.

Is the World Bank really that screwed up?

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
The above one made me laugh. :yum::yum:

It is supposed to be the top ten countries in the world ranked by what percentage of their land is classified as agricultural.

Does anyone believe that 86.8% of Saudi Arabia is ag land? Nigeria, the top half is desert and the bottom half is jungle. Looking at the rest just makes me giggle. When filling out the answers, it's obvious someone didn't understand the questions.

Is the World Bank really that screwed up?

I don't know if you have ever been to Saudi Arabia but they have a lot land being used for agriculture. The same with Nigeria both of which I've have been too. As to if they are that high I have no idea but food does grow in deserts with a bit of water just look at Israel. Keep in mind they was growing crops long before the bible was written.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know if you have ever been to Saudi Arabia but they have a lot land being used for agriculture. The same with Nigeria both of which I've have been too. As to if they are that high I have no idea but food does grow in deserts with a bit of water just look at Israel. Keep in mind they was growing crops long before the bible was written.

No Joe, I've never been to Saudi but I have flown over it so I've seen part of it from 35,000 feet. I worked in Nigeria for about 2 years. I didn't travel extensively there but again, saw enough of it to realize that it's not 85% agricultural or maybe I was in the 15% non-agricultural part. :biggrin::biggrin:

I suppose it depends on how you define "agricultural". In northern Nigeria a few goats and a handful of cows ranging over a thousand square miles of semi-desert could be called agricultural usage. It sure isn't much good for a lot else, or at least the part that I saw wasn't. It was interesting though.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
No Joe, I've never been to Saudi but I have flown over it so I've seen part of it from 35,000 feet. I worked in Nigeria for about 2 years. I didn't travel extensively there but again, saw enough of it to realize that it's not 85% agricultural or maybe I was in the 15% non-agricultural part. :biggrin::biggrin:

I suppose it depends on how you define "agricultural". In northern Nigeria a few goats and a handful of cows ranging over a thousand square miles of semi-desert could be called agricultural usage. It sure isn't much good for a lot else, or at least the part that I saw wasn't. It was interesting though.

Live stock is considered agriculture in most places including in this country. I guess anything grown for food is considered agriculture.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter

A quick perusal of WIKI on Saudi Arabian Agriculture confirms your suspisions. marginal AG usage despite massive attempts by the government to irrigate and promote farming.

AG production is about 5.5% of Saudi GDP. So even if they are actually using 86$ of their land for it, they are exploiting agricultural potentials very poorly.

Don't you just love statisitcs?:yum: