Gmoose Adventures

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
it a 10 from me !!!

nicely done, you have upped the game for everyone, looking forward to seeing you

take care,

up for trading driving a torpedo for driving your fantastic frandee

Last edited:

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
I am sure this will come up so I am going to address it before it does.

"Hey Gmoose, why not just buy a bigger trailer that can haul both cats?"

Well I looked into that right after I bought the Kitten, expecting to pay in the range of maybe $6K, yes I was out to lunch. Something long enough, (I was shooting for 24 ft) with heavy enough axles and ramps was more like $12K. Plus nothing that was stock was what I really wanted, ramp system wasn't quite right, tilt wasn't right, picky picky, picky. Additionally, I have the skills and equipment to build my own trailer, just not the time yet, but getting closer. Now for the main reason, $12K will pay for the next secret snowcat that I would like to get. So decision, trailer or snowcat, I think everyone here would side with snowcat. So if that cat comes available I am ready, and if it doesn't that is fine also, because I need 248 1" Tucker track rollers for the 542 Cab Forward, which is right at $10,000. So based on all that logically one builds a deck for the back of the truck for a couple hundred bucks instead. Bonus is that it does look pretty cool.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mr. Moose. Another option for stuffing a Kitten in a pick up is to cut down the fenders in the bed. If you measure for clearance loaded with chains on and cut accordingly, you can usually drop the height by 6 inches give or take. A ply wood or weld in top piece makes for more room. Some rigs end up with a flat deck side to side which is nice for all kinds of loads. You have a good plan for loading.

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Here are a few more photos of the platform.

IMG_20201122_135529805.jpg
IMG_20201122_135544529.jpg
IMG_20201122_135633325.jpg
IMG_20201122_135623588.jpg

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
One of my friends has one of these. It works, but is not what I would call high output. I've been toying with getting one just so I have it in the cat. So a breakdown I could put it out and hopefully avoid a further oops. I understand the issue. that's why I have the 2 rear strobes on my cat, to keep a sled from rear ending me at speed.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Brand...robe-Light-Buyers-Products-SL475A-12-1017.axd

Thank you Cidertom and 1boringguy on the input for lighting options. I looked at the units you each suggested then did some more looking. I ended up ordering some Fortune Products PL-300AJ battery operated lights. They also sell a remote actuated one, which I considered purchasing, but they were nearly twice the money, and I am not sure I really need that feature.

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
And another question for the Tucker experts.

On the track links the welds that hold the pins to the link appear to be made with a high nickel filler rod, is this correct? Any idea why?

This photo isn't that great, the weld are pretty dirty and a bit corroded, but these are the welds I am talking about.
IMG_20201122_140516409.jpg

Last edited:

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Mr. Moose. Another option for stuffing a Kitten in a pick up is to cut down the fenders in the bed. If you measure for clearance loaded with chains on and cut accordingly, you can usually drop the height by 6 inches give or take. A ply wood or weld in top piece makes for more room. Some rigs end up with a flat deck side to side which is nice for all kinds of loads. You have a good plan for loading.
That is a good idea but for now I think I will stick with the wood deck. It would be nice if the cat sat a few inches lower, but it does still sit lower than the Frandee does on the trailer behind it. I was concerned that it would be sticking up there quite a bit, but it does sit lower than my slide in camper, so I think I am okay. Also, I don't know if it would sit to low, with the bed side I am not sure if the door would open so I could get out after loading, might have to take a tape measure to it and figure that out if I ever decide to go the cut out wheel well idea. Thanks!

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
And another question for the Tucker experts.

On the track links the welds that hold the pins to the link appear to be made with a high nickel filler rod, is this correct? Any idea why?

This photo isn't that great, the weld are pretty dirty and a bit corroded, but these are the welds I am talking about.
View attachment 131767
because the parts were hardened to Rockwell 44 before welding