• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Fuel transfer pump

CaptainClint

Does anyone have suggestions on what material to use for a pickup on a transfer pump for gasoline? PVC, Galvanized, black, etc? I have read a lot of mixed opinions on the dos and don’ts. I have lots of PVC and some black pipe.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've only used transfer pumps with diesel. Gasoline is explosive, protected from static and gas has vapor issues. Sorry, but I don't feel I'm capable of designing gas transfer system. I suspect that many here would be similar to me, with diesel transfer experience but not gasoline.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Like Melensdad I have a transfer system for diesel. My gasoline storage uses a 14-gallon, plastic tank and is gravity fed. I also have a portable, commercial 30-gallon, grounded steel tank with a hand pump. Before I put an electric pump on a gasoline tank I'd make darned sure that I knew what I was doing. The potential for disaster is high.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Like Melensdad I have a transfer system for diesel. My gasoline storage uses a 14-gallon, plastic tank and is gravity fed. I also have a portable, commercial 30-gallon, grounded steel tank with a hand pump. Before I put an electric pump on a gasoline tank I'd make darned sure that I knew what I was doing. The potential for disaster is high.
every modern vehicle has an electric pump in the gas tank.