• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Eli Lilly may have found a way to dramatically slow Alzheimers

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thought I'd post up some good health news today.

Indiana based Eli Lilly drug maker has apparently found a way to slow down the progression of Alzheimers. Live long enough and its hard to not know someone who has had to deal with this horrible disease.

Several articles are talking about it as a major breakthrough. While it is not stopping the disease it is slowing it, and given the disease and the way it progresses I'd take that as a major breakthrough.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
I wonder how this compares to Aricept, which wasn't particularly effective in my mother's case. But as Mak2 would say, "That's anecdotal."

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I wonder how this compares to Aricept, which wasn't particularly effective in my mother's case. But as Mak2 would say, "That's anecdotal."
No clue, but the stock shot up about 14% today so I'm guessing this is something fairly groundbreaking.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Anything Mak2 has to say, take it with a grain of salt.

My Mum passed away with Alzheimers. None of the drugs administered did anything substantial, if at all probably because the form of the disease she had was fast acting and she passed within 6 months of being diagnosed with it.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
No clue, but the stock shot up about 14% today so I'm guessing this is something fairly groundbreaking.
Not unusual - Merck ping-ponged all over the place while Keytruda was making its way through channels.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Anything Mak2 has to say, take it with a grain of salt.

My Mum passed away with Alzheimers. None of the drugs administered did anything substantial, if at all probably because the form of the disease she had was fast acting and she passed within 6 months of being diagnosed with it.
Mak happens to be a nurse, so just stop right there, ok?
You know full well there are many forms of dementia. Not every person goes in stage up until the end of life while others decline rapidly.

That said, any new drug gives hope for any person suffering from the most horrible disease that robs a person of their very being.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
What the hell are you talking about? I was not demeaning anyone for being a nurse or criticizing any drug. I was simply stating my poor Mum contracted such a rapid form of the disease the drugs worked very little if it all. It was not to insinuate the drugs are no good in general. I am no flippin' doctor, they just did not work for her. Judas H. Priest, of course I know there are many forms of Dementia, I watched my mother die didn't I?

As for the salt, well there is a long history of salt shakers to go around there. What a great story that was, eh. You played a big in that, remember and you were not even a mod, yet. Oh, those were the days, were they not? :yum:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I have been totally charming since the day I arrived here. Almost 10 years now. Charming and lovable, what a combo, eh? :yum: