• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Corona Virus spreading ... US official says no need to worry

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thank God, I'm already vaccinated. So many people close to me have died last year and earlier this year that it really got me depressed.
I got vaccinated in January/February and I think that for any high risk individual, vaccination makes a lot of sense.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For those of us, who are at risk (obese, diabetic, pulmonary issues, high blood pressure, etc), or older (over age 55) and who have been vaccinated, we have VERY LITTLE TO FEAR from the Delta/Indian variant of covid.

For those folks who are younger, healthy and vaccinated, they have essentially NOTHING to fear from the Delta/Indian variant of covid.

But the folks who are not vaccinated, or who have recovered and hold natural immunity, they are at some risk. Delta seems to be more infectious but not more deadly. Being more infectious it means there will be more cases of younger/healthier people going into hospitals. There will be more cases of LONG COVID, which does not seem to be related to either age or intensity of the disease.

Coronavirus cases in the U.S. double over three weeks

A lagging vaccination rate and the spread of the delta variant have some health professionals worried about what's to come

Covid-19 case numbers are on the rise again in the U.S., following months of significant decline.
New case figures have doubled per day over the past several weeks due primarily to the more contagious delta variant, as well as stalled vaccination rates across the country.
On Monday, confirmed infections climbed to an average of 23,600, doubling the June 23 figure, which was 11,300, according to Johns Hopkins University data.
Case numbers have reportedly shot up in all states except South Dakota and Maine.
Despite the jump in the numbers, cases remain well below their peak of close to a quarter-million a day in January. And daily death rates remain thousands below the 3,400-plus Americans dying each day during the winter.
Mississippi, the state with the lowest vaccination rate nationally, has experienced a 150% rise in hospitalizations over the past three weeks.
Louisiana's vaccination rate more than 15 percentage points below the national average of 55.6%., and authorities in New Orleans say they will likely extend virus-mitigation efforts at large venues for large gatherings.
Dr. James Lawler, of the Global Center for Health Security at the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha, told the Associated Press, "I think people have no clue what's about to hit us," when it comes to the delta variant.
"The descriptions from regions of the world where the delta variant has taken hold and become the predominant virus are pictures of ICUs full of 30-year-olds," he said, adding that re-imposing mask mandates and limited gatherings may help curb the spread of the variant.

austonte

For those of us, who are at risk (obese, diabetic, pulmonary issues, high blood pressure, etc), or older (over age 55) and who have been vaccinated, we have VERY LITTLE TO FEAR from the Delta/Indian variant of covid.

For those folks who are younger, healthy and vaccinated, they have essentially NOTHING to fear from the Delta/Indian variant of covid.

But the folks who are not vaccinated, or who have recovered and hold natural immunity, they are at some risk. Delta seems to be more infectious but not more deadly. Being more infectious it means there will be more cases of younger/healthier people going into hospitals. There will be more cases of LONG COVID, which does not seem to be related to either age or intensity of the disease.

Coronavirus cases in the U.S. double over three weeks

A lagging vaccination rate and the spread of the delta variant have some health professionals worried about what's to come

Covid-19 case numbers are on the rise again in the U.S., following months of significant decline.
New case figures have doubled per day over the past several weeks due primarily to the more contagious delta variant, as well as stalled vaccination rates across the country.
On Monday, confirmed infections climbed to an average of 23,600, doubling the June 23 figure, which was 11,300, according to Johns Hopkins University data.
Case numbers have reportedly shot up in all states except South Dakota and Maine.
Despite the jump in the numbers, cases remain well below their peak of close to a quarter-million a day in January. And daily death rates remain thousands below the 3,400-plus Americans dying each day during the winter.
Mississippi, the state with the lowest vaccination rate nationally, has experienced a 150% rise in hospitalizations over the past three weeks.
Louisiana's vaccination rate more than 15 percentage points below the national average of 55.6%., and authorities in New Orleans say they will likely extend virus-mitigation efforts at large venues for large gatherings.
Dr. James Lawler, of the Global Center for Health Security at the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha, told the Associated Press, "I think people have no clue what's about to hit us," when it comes to the delta variant.
"The descriptions from regions of the world where the delta variant has taken hold and become the predominant virus are pictures of ICUs full of 30-year-olds," he said, adding that re-imposing mask mandates and limited gatherings may help curb the spread of the variant.

I hope they come up with COVID19 vaccines for kids below 12. I am still scared of bringing my kids to crowded places. My kids still wear masks especially indoors. The DELTA variant sounds terrifying.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I hope they come up with COVID19 vaccines for kids below 12. I am still scared of bringing my kids to crowded places. My kids still wear masks especially indoors. The DELTA variant sounds terrifying.
They are developing vaccines for kids. Largely they are unnecessary.

Children under 18 basically do not die from this disease. Yes, a few have, but very few. And in those rare cases they generally had other conditions that exacerbated the problem. The kids who get this tend to NOT feel sick, look sick, or act sick. They are generally asymptomatic. Even the Delta/Indian variant does not seem to make young people sick.

Out of the NEARLY 100,000,000 of residents in the USA under the age of 18, only 331 of them have died.

Do not scare your kids. Do not be afraid for your kids.

Let your kids be kids. In fact encourage them to be kids and go play and have fun.

If we believe the science there is literally nothing to worry about if you have young children and there is literally nothing for them to worry about. The much greater harm to them will come from fear, isolation, lack of socialization and falling behind in school.

This data is current through July 7 of this year from STATISTICA.

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 11.33.59 AM.png

Now as for even getting sick from Covid, the numbers are very very low. This data is from the CDC. If you look at the age brackets, the "control group" is the 18-29 year old bracket. It is current through June 24 of this year.

The younger age brackets show statistically insignificant rates of getting infected.
They show statistically insignificant rates of hospitalization.
They show statistically insignificant rates of death.

Essentially they have NOTHING to fear or worry about.

Unless your kids are morbidly obese with another additional condition like serious lung conditions, heart conditions or uncontrolled diabetes. But even then, if they have all those things, their risks are still minimal.

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 11.41.33 AM.png

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would like to add some more information about the DELTA/Indian variant.

In the U.K. the DELTA variant is 98.7% of all Covid cases. And Covid is increasing in the U.K. Look at these graphics from the N.H.S. which compare the ALPHA variant surge in the fall of 2020 to the DELTA variant in the current surge. You will notice that far fewer people end up in the hospital, far fewer people die.

N.H.S. data is also showing that ethnic minorities are being hit harder by the DELTA variant.

N.H.S. data is showing that people who do end up in the hospital are actually LESS sick with the DELTA than those who previously were in the hospital with the ALPHA variant.

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 12.49.00 PM.png

The wonderful thing about watching what is happening in England/Scotland/Wales is that they experiencing today what North America will experience in the next few months.

We can expect more cases, especially in areas with low vaccination rates.
We can expect more hospitalizations, but less than we had in the previous Alpha peak.
We can expect more deaths, but far-far less than we had in the previous Alpha peak.

As Saint Pope John Paul II was known to say: BE NOT AFRAID

Now keep in mind that I am a strong vaccine proponent. But I keep looking at the data. So going back to what St Pope JPII said, I would say that if you are vaccinated then go live your life.

If you are un-vaccinated and are 17 years old or younger, then go live your life.
In fact, if you are at least 18 but under 30 years old, and un-vaccinated, then you are still at minimal risk of getting seriously ill from the Delta variant.

If you are un-vaccinated and you are in any of the high risk groups then you should probably get vaccinated unless you are allergic to the vaccines.

If you are still afraid for yourself or your children after seeing the government data, then I'd suggest that you should look into taking Vitamin D suppliments and consider those for your children as well, based on your research. My family currently takes a Vitamin D supplement with 5000iu capsules every day. D3 is known to reduce covid severity and spread, it is cheap and easily accessible at virtually every supermarket, Amazon, Walgreens, Rite-Aid, CVS and big box stores. It takes time to build up in your system so you want to take it daily if you decide you want to take it.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Its doing generally what all CORONA virus mutations do, get more contagious and weaker over time.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Its doing generally what all CORONA virus mutations do, get more contagious and weaker over time.
That seems to be a reasonable assessment of what is happening.

Because it is more contagious, we will see more hospitalizations and that stresses the rest of the medical system. So because of covid spread in MANY AREAS of the country, we will continue to see elective but necessary surgeries delayed, we will delayed diagnosis of heart disease, lung diseases and cancers, leading to unnecessary deaths due to other causes than Covid, but realistically because of Covid's effect on the medical systems.

It should be noted that the areas with the highest current spread are the areas with lower vaccination rates, higher poverty, rural areas. Vaccine hesitancy seems to be high among minorities and poor, especially outside the urban areas where hospitals smaller and specialty care is often sparse.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm vaccinated. By my choice. But I don't want anyone coming to my house to check up on me. Show me where the government has the authority to send people door to door.

218331659_4851171311564777_8407337105793612477_n.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That Delta is slightly worrying.
Its spreading like wildfire in the UK and vaccines arent as effective against them

It is true the vaccines are less effective at preventing someone from getting the DELTA/Indian variant, however, the vaccines are still hugely effective at preventing serious disease and reducing hospitalization or death. So while you may get the Delta/Indian variant, you likely will NOT get particularly sick from it if you have had 2 doses of the vaccines.

The mRNA vaccines seem to be somewhat more effective than the traditional vaccines the the Oxford/AstraZenica, but all of them seem to be doing a very good job.

Esco

It is true the vaccines are less effective at preventing someone from getting the DELTA/Indian variant, however, the vaccines are still hugely effective at preventing serious disease and reducing hospitalization or death. So while you may get the Delta/Indian variant, you likely will NOT get particularly sick from it if you have had 2 doses of the vaccines.

The mRNA vaccines seem to be somewhat more effective than the traditional vaccines the the Oxford/AstraZenica, but all of them seem to be doing a very good job.
I think maybe thats why the UK is getting hit so hard, most of their population got the OAZ vaccine, not the other ones

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think maybe thats why the UK is getting hit so hard, most of their population got the OAZ vaccine, not the other ones
I think the reason that the UK is getting hit so hard is because they are an island, reasonably confined, with lots of internal travel and commingling of the population. They are simply ahead of the curve and a precursor to what will happen in other areas of the world. The USA is running a couple months behind the UK so it is very likely that the US will see similar spikes early September.

BUT ... "hit so hard" is actually a relative thing. There are 67,880,000 people living in the UK and a total of 577,000 are estimated to have gotten Covid. So since this started almost a year and a half ago, a grand total of 8.5% of the entire UK population has gotten Covid. Over 90% of the deaths occurred in the "most vulnerable" parts of the population, including the elderly. Total UK deaths are estimated to be roughly 41,000. Not a small number, but actually tiny as a percentage of the population.

Realistically Covid will affect the unvaccinated areas the hardest and the US should follow a pattern similar to the UK. Statistically the higher vaccinated area will also be hit with breakthrough cases but those cases will be mild and not fatal.

Look several posts up this thread, you can see the DELTA variant's affects in the UK, using the NHS graphs. Cases are going up in a steep incline, hospitalizations are climbing slower and deaths are barely climbing, nearly decoupled from the disease.

Also realize that as scary as this disease is portrayed to be, we now know (unlike a year ago) who the risk groups are for serious complications. We know the vast majority of those who have serious cases are deficient in Vitamin D, so simply taking an inexpensive daily Vitamin D3 supplement can dramatically reduce chances of complications. We also know that obesity is a primary risk factor for complications as are pulimary diseases, uncontrolled high blood pressure, diabetes, autoimmune disorders, etc.

A reasonably healthy human of pretty much any age, who is vaccinated, has little to fear. Less so if they take a Vitamin D3 supplement.

A reasonably healthy human, under the age of 55, who is NOT vaccinated, still doesn't have too much to fear, since roughly 95% of the people who get Covid never end up in the hospital, but unvaccinated people probably would be very wise to take daily Vitamin D3 supplements.

I'm 60, vaccinated (Moderna 2 shots) with a hereditary autoimmune disease, taking immunosuppressive drugs + 5000iu of D3 daily, but otherwise generally healthy and I am not living in any fear of Covid.

Esco

These are all the vitamins and minerals I take daily, and I rarely get sick anymore

VITAMIN A (BETA-CAROTENE) 25,000 IU DAILY
VITAMIN B-COMPLEX 100 MG DAILY
VITAMIN C (CALCIUM ASCORBATE) 1,000 MG DAILY
VITAMIN D 1,000 IU DAILY
VITAMIN E (MIXED TOCOPHEROLS) 400 IU DAILY

MAGNESIUM 300 MG DAILY
CALCIUM 500 MG DAILY
ZINC 25 MG DAILY
SELENIUM 100 MICROGRAMS DAILY
CHROMIUM 200 MICROGRAMS DAILY
IRON 10 MG DAILY

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
These are all the vitamins and minerals I take daily, and I rarely get sick anymore

VITAMIN A (BETA-CAROTENE) 25,000 IU DAILY
VITAMIN B-COMPLEX 100 MG DAILY
VITAMIN C (CALCIUM ASCORBATE) 1,000 MG DAILY
VITAMIN D 1,000 IU DAILY
VITAMIN E (MIXED TOCOPHEROLS) 400 IU DAILY

MAGNESIUM 300 MG DAILY
CALCIUM 500 MG DAILY
ZINC 25 MG DAILY
SELENIUM 100 MICROGRAMS DAILY
CHROMIUM 200 MICROGRAMS DAILY
IRON 10 MG DAILY
Have you had your blood tested to make sure your levels are good. Long term Zinc use can be harmful. Depending upon you size/weight/age/activity level, the D may be too low to offer much help for Covid

------------------------ < O > ------------------------

While the US/Canadian border remains closed, Europe is starting to open up for tourism.

But all is not rosy in France, they are requiring some sort of a digital Covid passport to enter a bar or restaurant. And apparently French citizens (subjects) may face jail time for violating their nations dictates.

FULL STORY AT THIS LINK --> https://www.france24.com/en/europe/...-covid-test-for-some-unvaccinated-eu-arrivals

France will not require VACCINATED visitors to show a 'negative' test upon entry into the nation.​
France said Saturday it would require people not fully vaccinated and arriving from some European countries to show a negative Covid test taken within the previous 24 hours.​
Arrivals from the United Kingdom, Spain, Portugal, Cyprus, Greece and the Netherlands will be subject to the new rule, which comes into effect at midnight Saturday into Sunday, Prime Minsiter Jean Castexsaid in a statement.​
To date, people arriving from the United Kingdom are required to show a negative test taken within the past 48 hours.​
Arrivals from Spain, Portugal, Cyprus, the Netherlands and Greece have had to show tests taken within 72 hours.​
But Castex said that people who are fully vaccinated with a jab recognised by the European Medicines Agency—Pfizer/BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca or Johnson & Johnson—will not be required to show a test.​
The statement said the exemption was in place because “vaccines are effective against the virus, and in particular its variant Delta”.

Esco

Have you had your blood tested to make sure your levels are good. Long term Zinc use can be harmful. Depending upon you size/weight/age/activity level, the D may be too low to offer much help for Covid
I've been taking this regiment since I was 29. Never had any problems with my blood test.
Its actually the iron you have to worry about, the body loves to store iron and is not very efficient in expelling it.

My regiment has also stopped my aging process. I'm 55 yrs old but I look about 30 yrs old

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is what is happening in England/Scotland/Wales/Ireland right now, combined in 1 graph.

The vaccines they used included the Oxford/AstraZenica, Pfizer and Moderna. They may have also used some of the Johnson & Johnson/BioNtech, but I'm not certain of that 4th vaccine. The OX/AZ vaccine is not used in the USA, reports show it is less effective than the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, and compares well against the J&J/BioNtech.

You will notice that Delta cases are spiking. You will notice that there is minimal rise in hospitalizations or deaths from Delta, largely because the UK has so many vaccinated people. Basically, in the UK the "high risk" members of the population have either been vaccinated or died. The unvaccinated people are generally "low risk" adults or children, who have always had minimal risk.

We can ESTIMATE that the USA will follow a similar path, at least in the states and areas were vaccination rates are similar to the rates in the UK. We know that the minority and poor populations here in the US seem to have vaccine hesitancy, especially in rural areas. The highest rates of non-vaccination seem to be in younger African Americans in rural areas.

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 12.22.32 PM.png

It should be noted that DELTA cases in the USA are climbing. Right now DELTA makes up about 70% of the new cases. And if you look at US hospital data, while Covid cases are still low, 97% of the new US hospitalizations are Unvaccinated people, 3% are vaccinated.

If you break that data down further, the 3% who are vaccinated and get the Delta/Indian variant of Covid, most of those have co-morbidities.

Younger ADULTS, who are not vaccinated, make up the majority of the new hospitalizations.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The US also has a lot more people who refuse the vaccine on conspiracy/religious grounds than the UK does
Do you have actual proof of that? And are you talking about % of population or absolute numbers? I know there is actually a fairly large group of anti-vax people in England, and actually was talking with one today who is very vocal, very public and spreads anti-vax data daily.

Here in the US the Anti-Vax democratic group has been, statistically, over-hyped to the point that it is almost fake news. Hate to use that term. Young and healthy people are the most likely to NOT get vaccinated. The "rural white Trump supporters" that the media hypes for vaccine hesitancy are actually not nearly as large a group as the media would have you think. There is proof of that early in this thread, with citations to specific articles and evidence.

Esco

Do you have actual proof of that? And are you talking about % of population or absolute numbers? I know there is actually a fairly large group of anti-vax people in England, and actually was talking with one today who is very vocal, very public and spreads anti-vax data daily
No proof, but if you look at the stats the US seems to have hit a wall around 55% while the UK has hit their wall around 68%.
See link: https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

I could be wrong though, the next 6 months will give us better insight

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No proof, but if you look at the stats the US seems to have hit a wall around 55% while the UK has hit their wall around 68%.
See link: https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

I could be wrong though, the next 6 months will give us better insight
Those stats are correct but you attribute them to the conspiracy theory political fringe. THAT is the part that is not factual.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I dont know if this article is true, but if it is it would explain why the US is lagging behind the UK

You apparently assume that only exists in the US. I gave you evidence it is very strong in the UK too

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nope, not saying it only exists in the US, I'm only saying its LESS prevalent in other parts of the world
And yet you have no evidence of that. And I provided strong evidence that the UK has plenty of Anti-Vaxxers plus I provided evidence that refutes your claims about the US vaccine hesitant being part of a political or conspiracy group. Please do yourself a favor and read the linked articles. Follow the footnotes.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Got this from an Anti-Vaxx activist in the UK. Full story at link:

The Effects of Vitamin D and COVID-Related Outcomes​

Do you know your vitamin D level? If not, getting your blood tested—and optimizing your levels—is one of the simplest and most straightforward steps you can take to improve your health, including in relation to COVID-19. Vitamin D, as an immunomodulator, is a perfect candidate for countering the immune dysregulation that’s common with COVID-19.​
As early as November 2020, it was known that there were striking differences in vitamin D status among people who had asymptomatic COVID-19 and those who became severely ill and required intensive care unit (ICU) care. In one study, 32.96 percent of those with asymptomatic cases were vitamin D deficient, compared to 96.82 percent of those who were admitted to the ICU for a severe case.​
COVID-19 patients who were deficient in this inexpensive and widely available vitamin had a higher inflammatory response and a greater fatality rate. The Indian study authors recommended “mass administration of vitamin D supplements to populations at risk for COVID-19,” in a study published in Scientific Reports, but this hasn’t happened, at least not in the United States...​

Vitamin D Therapy Reduces COVID’s Inflammatory Storm​

Vitamin D has multiple actions on the immune system, including enhancing the production of antimicrobial peptides by immune cells, reducing damaging pro-inflammatory cytokines, and promoting the expression of anti-inflammatory cytokines. Cytokines are a group of proteins that your body uses to control inflammation... If the cytokine release spirals out of control, the resulting “cytokine storm” becomes dangerous and is closely tied to sepsis, which may be an important contributor to the death of COVID-19 patients.​
Many COVID-19 therapeutics are focused on viral elimination instead of modulating the hyperinflammation often seen in the disease. In fact, uncontrolled immune response has been suggested as a factor in disease severity, making immunomodulation “an attractive potential treatment strategy,” wrote researchers from Singapore in a study published in Nutrition.​
In one study published in Scientific Reports in May, researchers investigated the effects of Pulse D therapy—daily high-dose supplementation (60,000 IUs) of vitamin D—for eight to 10 days, in addition to standard therapy, for COVID-19 patients deficient in vitamin D. Vitamin D levels increased significantly in the vitamin D group—from 16 ng/ml to 89 ng/ml—while inflammatory markers significantly decreased, without any side effects...​

Vitamin D3 Reduces COVID-19 Deaths, ICU Admissions​

Another group of researchers in Spain gave vitamin D3 (calcifediol) to patients admitted to the COVID-19 wards of Barcelona’s Hospital del Mar. About half the patients received vitamin D3 in the amount of 21,280 IU on day one plus 10,640 IU on days 3, 7, 15, and 30. Those that received vitamin D fared significantly better, with only 4.5 percent requiring ICU admission compared to 21 percent in the no-vitamin D group.​
Vitamin D treatment also significantly reduced mortality, with 4.7 percent of the vitamin D group dying at admission, compared to 15.9 percent in the non-vitamin D group...​
Dose matters when it comes to COVID-19 recovery. In a randomized clinical trial in Saudi Arabia, researchers compared daily supplementation with either 5,000 IUs or 1,000 IUs oral vitamin D3 among patients with suboptimal vitamin D levels hospitalized for mild to moderate COVID-19. Those in the 5,000 IUs group had a significantly shorter time to recovery for cough and loss of the sense of taste compared to the 1,000 IUs group.​
According to the researchers, “The use of 5000 IU vitamin D3 as an adjuvant therapy for COVID-19 patients with suboptimal vitamin D status, even for a short duration, is recommended.”​

Hospitalized With COVID-19? Ask for Vitamin D​

The evidence continues to grow that treatment with vitamin D leads to significantly better outcomes for people hospitalized with COVID-19. In another example from Spain, hospitalized COVID-19 patients who received vitamin D3 had a mortality rate of 5 percent, compared to 20 percent for those who did not. The researchers explained:​
“The protective effect of calcifediol [activated vitamin D] remained significant after adjustment for multiple confounder factors related to severity disease even after selecting those subjects who were older (≥65 years) and had worse oxygen saturation levels at admission (<96 percent).”​
Similarly, 76 consecutive patients hospitalized with COVID-19 at Reina Sofia University Hospital in Córdoba, Spain, were randomized to receive either standard care or standard care plus vitamin D3 to rapidly increase vitamin D levels.​
Of 50 treated with vitamin D, only one person was admitted to the ICU. Of 26 who were not treated with vitamin D, 13 (50 percent) required admission to the hospital. Researchers noted, “Calcifediol seems to be able to reduce the severity of the disease.”​
Further: “Of the patients treated with calcifediol, none died, and all were discharged, without complications. The 13 patients not treated with calcifediol, who were not admitted to the ICU, were discharged. Of the 13 patients admitted to the ICU, two died and the remaining 11 were discharged.”​
In a previous review, the researchers explained that vitamin D has favorable effects during both the early viraemic phase of COVID-19 as well as the later hyperinflammatory phase, including for acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)...​
“Based on many preclinical studies and observational data in humans, ARDS may be aggravated by vitamin D deficiency and tapered down by activation of the vitamin D receptor,” they wrote in a study published in The Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology “Based on a pilot study, oral calcifediol may be the most promising approach.”​
Even regular “booster” doses of vitamin D, regardless of baseline levels, appear to be effective in reducing the risk of mortality in people admitted to the hospital with COVID-19, particularly for the elderly.​
“This inexpensive and widely available treatment could have positive implications for the management of COVID-19 worldwide, particularly in developing nations,” researchers from the United Kingdom noted.​

Low Vitamin D Levels May Increase Death Risk​

A systematic review and meta-analysis published in the Journal of Endocrinological Investigation included 13 studies involving 2,933 COVID-19 patients. Vitamin D was a clear winner, with use in COVID-19 patients significantly associated with reduced ICU admission and mortality. . .​
When it comes to data to support the use of vitamin D for COVID-19, 87 studies have been performed by 784 scientists. The results show:​
  • 53 percent improvement in 28 treatment trials
  • 56 percent improvement in 59 sufficiency studies
  • 63 percent improvement in 16 treatment mortality results
A number of clinical trials are also underway, looking further into the use of vitamin D for COVID-19, including one by Harvard Medical School researchers investigating whether taking daily vitamin D reduces COVID-19 disease severity...​

‘A Simple and Inexpensive Measure’​

“To reduce the risk of infection, it is recommended that people at risk of influenza and/or COVID-19 consider taking 10,000 IU/d of vitamin D3 for a few weeks to rapidly raise 25(OH)D concentrations, followed by 5000 IU/d...

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That's some really good info, so thaknks!

Does that mean 5000 IU per day or something else?
Yes, 5000iu per day.

Typically at pharmacies, large grocery stores, etc you will see Vitamin D3 in various doses. I simply buy the 5000iu dose and it is what the lovely Mrs_Bob and I have been taking for quite a while. Our daughter prefers gummies, I think she takes 2000iu gummies and eats multiples.

Most people have low levels of Vitamin D, this problem is worse in cold/rainy weather. Even in the summer many people cover their skin, which is the the main absorber of Vitamin D as we get it from the sun. So if you go outside in the summer and lounge by the pool in a swimsuit you will likely have plenty of Vitamin D. But if you wear sun blocking shirts or wide brim hats then you are actually not getting much Vitamin D at all. And it does not store in the body for very long so it must be constantly replenished. It is possible to have high levels of D in one season and be deficient of D in the next season. But most of use are deficient in all 4 seasons.