• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Camp life

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Back at camp for the night. Got a limit of birds in 2 hrs again. Enjoying a nice evening fire. Back to town early in the morning.
dc107c485ed898c03843e458c0140d8f.jpg
1af5711ad28bd581b580ac2734123bf0.jpg
fc7df7be891ae7d6f848382de4b4ae6c.jpg
69bd24a5db83f4a9a1d74c43e51312db.jpg

At the rate you are taking them , are there any left ?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Lmao. There's plenty out there. I went out to the back of my property the other day with one of the quads and came across 4 of them. Hunting is getting better as the leaves are falling and they don't have anywhere to hide. We probably saw 15 yesterday.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Time to close down camp for another season. We had lots of fun and laughs.
8fe48c5482155eb7cd9d035e50590d62.jpg
7e3baf10db3ba899ee4e7f93e006b5a8.jpg
78f4886fe563d695383af721080857f2.jpg

I talk to myself to get an expert opinion.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Friends of ours had to get work done on their camper over the winter so this morning a buddy and I tackled hauling it to town.

We had to cut a portion of their deck off to get it out then discovered 2 flat tires on the trailer. The other 2 only had 12 lbs of air. We managed to air up 3 of them but had to swap out the spare. All this in the pouring rain at only +4 celcius. We got er done though and hauled it to the rv repair shop.
d679d4c53bfbc380dfbb34331af22ea9.jpg
5eca905fe6bef6a863b3870f32c987af.jpg
44bb001f193978c36b584ebd0109a2fc.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I know. I had planned on keeping it going another couple weeks but the forecast wasn't looking good. Oh well. Finish up hunting season then wait for snow to get through the winter snowmobiling.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Took a drive to camp with a buddy to store is side by side for the winter. What a difference 2 weeks makes. I also sized up another construction project I've got floating around in my head for next summer. Where the old tarp garage was, I'll be building a smaller storage shed for things like the tubes for the boat, a generator, air compressor etc. It'll be similar to the shower house.

b8691982a6beccddd1dfa5245aa5c1ca.jpg

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
It appears we won't have a lake camp this year. We let out reserved spot go.

With all the work planned for the Hippie Ridge mini ranch, I doubt we will even have time for sailing.
I did rent two slips for the summer but my son's 27' cruiser is still on the hard. He and his girlfriend are not working out so such plans are on hold.

I will break away and get the sail boat operational. But not until late June. The best sailing is in the fall so by then it will happen.
The Grand kids aren't interested in the camp life so I'll not waste a moment setting it up. Their dad is too occupied with his problems. So, his boat will likely stay on the hard. Again this year.

A waste but I need to get a Bunkhouse built. Therefore, my time will be devoted to that effort.

The dream of sailing and fly fishing will, once again, wait another year.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
It appears we won't have a lake camp this year. We let out reserved spot go.

With all the work planned for the Hippie Ridge mini ranch, I doubt we will even have time for sailing.
I did rent two slips for the summer but my son's 27' cruiser is still on the hard. He and his girlfriend are not working out so such plans are on hold.

I will break away and get the sail boat operational. But not until late June. The best sailing is in the fall so by then it will happen.
The Grand kids aren't interested in the camp life so I'll not waste a moment setting it up. Their dad is too occupied with his problems. So, his boat will likely stay on the hard. Again this year.

A waste but I need to get a Bunkhouse built. Therefore, my time will be devoted to that effort.

The dream of sailing and fly fishing will, once again, wait another year.
Yep, sometimes we get setbacks like the fire at the work cabin, last year. I spent what would have been the cabin interior finishing time, cleaning up debris, cutting trees, hauling off my burned up mini truck and partly replacing the whole water system. This year I have about 1000' of PVC to run from the spring to the storage tank, then I'm back to where I was last spring. This year I worked nearly everyday for the passed 3 months and plan to go there this weekend for the first time this year. My son is interested and likes to go there when he has time, my daughter and step son seem un interested. I have had it since 2018 and those 2 have yet to visit. When I got it I had visions of the whole family spending summers there. Its yet to materialize, Maybe when its finished and less like camping out they will show up? Maybe not? I have a couple years left on it to finish up if no more setbacks happen. There is about a 5 month window there where there is no snow on the ground and it goes by quickly. I'm 63 and would like to have it finished by retirement at 67, sounds doable but we will see. Its just work and yours and mine will get finished at some point.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep, sometimes we get setbacks like the fire at the work cabin, last year. I spent what would have been the cabin interior finishing time, cleaning up debris, cutting trees, hauling off my burned up mini truck and partly replacing the whole water system. This year I have about 1000' of PVC to run from the spring to the storage tank, then I'm back to where I was last spring. This year I worked nearly everyday for the passed 3 months and plan to go there this weekend for the first time this year. My son is interested and likes to go there when he has time, my daughter and step son seem un interested. I have had it since 2018 and those 2 have yet to visit. When I got it I had visions of the whole family spending summers there. Its yet to materialize, Maybe when its finished and less like camping out they will show up? Maybe not? I have a couple years left on it to finish up if no more setbacks happen. There is about a 5 month window there where there is no snow on the ground and it goes by quickly. I'm 63 and would like to have it finished by retirement at 67, sounds doable but we will see. Its just work and yours and mine will get finished at some point.
I remember your efforts last year. I read every post with appreciation, interest, and frankly some awe at your industry. After the disaster of the fire, I think most everyone felt deep empathy for your loss.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Not much to report on camp life. Lol. I've been going out alone once a week for the night to get work done as with our current provincial covid restrictions in place, we can only go for less than 24 hrs and have to stay on our own site.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I remember your efforts last year. I read every post with appreciation, interest, and frankly some awe at your industry. After the disaster of the fire, I think most everyone felt deep empathy for your loss.
Im headed there Thursday thru Sunday , so I can get in 2 days of work laying the new 1-1/2" pvc, 1000' or so. 99% just lays on the ground with about 30' I will have to dig under the road, as the spring is on the other side. Looks like I will be hauling the pipe up there with me. I called the pipe supply in Susanville where the cabin is $2.15 a foot. Home Depot down here is just over a dollar a foot but limit to 10 pieces. The ACE hardware in town has 20,000 feet at $1.08 per foot. I don't understand how it can be double price 250 miles away but it is. I think I can get what ever pipe laid that I can haul up there. Its 50 pieces and not sure all that will fit comfortably on the truck rack or not. hauling water last year got old very fast. Pictures and report upon my return. PS thanks for the words.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Im headed there Thursday thru Sunday , so I can get in 2 days of work laying the new 1-1/2" pvc, 1000' or so. 99% just lays on the ground with about 30' I will have to dig under the road, as the spring is on the other side. Looks like I will be hauling the pipe up there with me. I called the pipe supply in Susanville where the cabin is $2.15 a foot. Home Depot down here is just over a dollar a foot but limit to 10 pieces. The ACE hardware in town has 20,000 feet at $1.08 per foot. I don't understand how it can be double price 250 miles away but it is. I think I can get what ever pipe laid that I can haul up there. Its 50 pieces and not sure all that will fit comfortably on the truck rack or not. hauling water last year got old very fast. Pictures and report upon my return. PS thanks for the words.
You're lucky your spring is above your place. Mine is 220 feet down. And about 250 yards away from the house site. That's how deep plus a few feet I'll have to drill for a well. Ten grand minimum here to do that.

I have thought about forming a spring pool and using a pump with pipe laid on the ground.

That advantage with the spring above you is in winter you can just let it flow. It won't freeze.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
You're lucky your spring is above your place. Mine is 220 feet down. And about 250 yards away from the house site. That's how deep plus a few feet I'll have to drill for a well. Ten grand minimum here to do that.

I have thought about forming a spring pool and using a pump with pipe laid on the ground.

That advantage with the spring above you is in winter you can just let it flow. It won't freeze.
My cabin neighbor taps into my spring, there is plenty of water. He lets his run all year and it doesn't freeze. The 600 gallon water tank and the under ground piping to the cabin is a different story. I was there in December, the tank had about 2" of ice on top but the rest was ok. I buried the tank 1/2 way in the ground in hopes that it would keep it from freezing and it worked. The under ground piping from the tank to the cabin froze. It is buried 6" in the ground, obviously not enough. At some point I may bury it deeper, its always something. For yours, like you said, you could form a pool and pump it to an elevated storage tank then gravity to your house.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
My cabin neighbor taps into my spring, there is plenty of water. He lets his run all year and it doesn't freeze. The 600 gallon water tank and the under ground piping to the cabin is a different story. I was there in December, the tank had about 2" of ice on top but the rest was ok. I buried the tank 1/2 way in the ground in hopes that it would keep it from freezing and it worked. The under ground piping from the tank to the cabin froze. It is buried 6" in the ground, obviously not enough. At some point I may bury it deeper, its always something. For yours, like you said, you could form a pool and pump it to an elevated storage tank then gravity to your house.
I will be putting a 360 Gal tank in the attic of an 8'X12' shed/bathhouse which is on the highest point of our property. Using 12 Volt RV pressure pumps to go to the bunk house. We have solar and wind systems for 12volt power supplies.

I'll likely just haul in water for a while. If we move there to live, a well would be most appropriate.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
So today I picked up 1000' of 1-1/2" PVC to replace the burned up spring line at the cabin. I was pleasantly surprised it fit on the rack nicely. Most of it lays on the ground following the
IMG_2186.jpg
road with about 30' that goes under the road. I hope to get it installed over the weekend. I am going there tomorrow and returning Saturday. If I don't get it all done there shouldn't be much for the next trip.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Somehow I got voluntold to help a buddy this Friday at camp with a real $hitty job. He bought a used 5th wheel last fall with 2 bathrooms. Apparently the front black holding tank is plugged solid. We tried fishing a toilet snake through the drain pipe to unclog it last weekend without any luck. So we're going back on Friday with more tools and see what we can figure out.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Hi all, I installed the 1000' of 1-1/2" PVC I took with me and bought another 300' in town of which I used 200' of it to complete a run from the water tank down the road a quarter of a mile. I still have to trench the road and run it about 200' up the hill to the spring. I will be to finish easily on the next trip, then I don't have to haul water to fill the tank while trying to work on other things like last year. On a good note, I am really enjoying the solar system. Its just like home, electric hot water heater, microwave no problem. This area was hit especially hard in the fire.
IMG_2194.jpg

Last edited:

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Not much to report on camp life. Lol. I've been going out alone once a week for the night to get work done as with our current provincial covid restrictions in place, we can only go for less than 24 hrs and have to stay on our own site.
I just read this again and this time it sunk in. So you are out in the woods and still being controlled. What is the reasoning that you can only stay less than 24 hours? Amazing. I'm sorry.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I just read this again and this time it sunk in. So you are out in the woods and still being controlled. What is the reasoning that you can only stay less than 24 hours? Amazing. I'm sorry.

Yes. The governments logic sucks. They think that if they open it up, half of Toronto will flock north and overwhelm the hospitals up here. Even though we're 15 hrs away. So until june 14th, crown land camping (camping out in the woods and not in organized parks) is banned. And seasonal campers can only go out for less then 24 hrs to check on their site and do maintenance. We're not allowed to be on anyone else's site. But last week they opened up golf tennis and pickleball (whatever that is) to groups of less then 5 people. But I can't go to camp and visit my friends outside on their site in groups of less than 5. Makes allot of sense to me. And up until a few days ago, we had only 17 covid cases for a population base of roughly 150000 people spread out over 700 square kilometers. It's pure bs.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Somehow I got voluntold to help a buddy this Friday at camp with a real $hitty job. He bought a used 5th wheel last fall with 2 bathrooms. Apparently the front black holding tank is plugged solid. We tried fishing a toilet snake through the drain pipe to unclog it last weekend without any luck. So we're going back on Friday with more tools and see what we can figure out.

We found the problem with his sewage. He's got a 38ft 5th wheel camper with a forward and rear bathroom. The forward one has a 3" sewage pipe coming down into a 45 degree elbow then another 45 down into the holding tank. The previous owner had plugged it solid full of toilet paper. We tried snaking it from both ends and also fed a hose in from the bottom to break it up.

We ended up cutting out the 2 45 elbows and broke up the plug. Of course it all spewed out into his pass through compartment. We just cut a 4" hole in the floor of the pass through and put a bucket underneath to catch it then used a scraper to get most of it and finished up with a garden hose. He was able to rejoin the pipe with a couple fernco couplings.

Resized_20210528_122214(1).jpeg

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
We found the problem with his sewage. He's got a 38ft 5th wheel camper with a forward and rear bathroom. The forward one has a 3" sewage pipe coming down into a 45 degree elbow then another 45 down into the holding tank. The previous owner had plugged it solid full of toilet paper. We tried snaking it from both ends and also fed a hose in from the bottom to break it up.

We ended up cutting out the 2 45 elbows and broke up the plug. Of course it all spewed out into his pass through compartment. We just cut a 4" hole in the floor of the pass through and put a bucket underneath to catch it then used a scraper to get most of it and finished up with a garden hose. He was able to rejoin the pipe with a couple fernco couplings.

View attachment 137758

That sure was a shitty job ( pun intended ) you're buddy owes you big for the help on that.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes. The governments logic sucks. They think that if they open it up, half of Toronto will flock north and overwhelm the hospitals up here. Even though we're 15 hrs away. So until june 14th, crown land camping (camping out in the woods and not in organized parks) is banned. And seasonal campers can only go out for less then 24 hrs to check on their site and do maintenance. We're not allowed to be on anyone else's site. But last week they opened up golf tennis and pickleball (whatever that is) to groups of less then 5 people. But I can't go to camp and visit my friends outside on their site in groups of less than 5. Makes allot of sense to me. And up until a few days ago, we had only 17 covid cases for a population base of roughly 150000 people spread out over 700 square kilometers. It's pure bs.
We are suppose to open completely here with no restrictions in the middle of June also. Most everyone in the small town I live in, quit playing that game a while ago.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Same here. We're all supposed to live like prisoners but in reality, we were still out at camp and hanging out with each other but keeping a distance.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi all, I installed the 1000' of 1-1/2" PVC I took with me and bought another 300' in town of which I used 200' of it to complete a run from the water tank down the road a quarter of a mile. I still have to trench the road and run it about 200' up the hill to the spring. I will be to finish easily on the next trip, then I don't have to haul water to fill the tank while trying to work on other things like last year. On a good note, I am really enjoying the solar system. Its just like home, electric hot water heater, microwave no problem. This area was hit especially hard in the fire.View attachment 137702
You did all that and I'm still dicking around with 60 feet of PVC electrical conduit under my park model home in Springfield MO.

I finally got it done and set for a copper gas line but I have to have licensed plumbers fish the copper tubing, do the flares and hook up to LPG. But then no more bottles of LPG to haul.

I'm doing this come Friday of this week.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
You did all that and I'm still dicking around with 60 feet of PVC electrical conduit under my park model home in Springfield MO.

I finally got it done and set for a copper gas line but I have to have licensed plumbers fish the copper tubing, do the flares and hook up to LPG. But then no more bottles of LPG to haul.

I'm doing this come Friday of this week.
Those little things like hauling water or propane does eat into your enjoyment/work time. Im done with generators after the solar, dealing with that used to eat up a couple hours a day plus the fuel. Im being paid back now. Hauling the water after the fire ate up a couple hours at least 1 day of the trip. Im still hauling the propane, and like you plan to add a large tank and pipe it in. When everything is done, I just want to go there without hauling 1/2 my house with me.