• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Camp life

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Our second weekend of the season at camp. Just sitting here by the fire looking at the boat hooked up to the truck in preparations for some fishing in the morning.
9ebaa19d749862490ab0fd313cc9cd00.jpg

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Ah!!! I envy you.

We've got a couple of road trips planned but no camping until August. I wish we could use our RV more. I really enjoy it but my wife and I have different requirements when it comes to camping and she is always busy with volunteer work which I've greatly cut back on.

Umberto

I look forward to a walleye report.

I'm thinking a camping trip to the "North Island" is needed.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Always was fun to get away and enjoy a long weekend. Bet you had the heat on last night.:clap:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Heat was off last night. Last weekend though we burned through a full tank of propane keeping warm. A week ago It was snowing. Today. Its 27 celsius. What a difference. Kinda nice being drunk by 2pm. Was helping a fellow camper build a shed and took a few too many beer breaks. Lol.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
if the weather gets better we may go take the boat out egg hunting this weekend but right now winds at 30 to 40 knots make it no fun.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Today's project at camp.....first off is to work off a hangover. Followed by helping fix an Argo. The drive chain apparently popped off the sprocket. We'll get her fixed.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Nope. Beginning to think our lake has no fish. I'm told there are walleye, pike, bass, and lake trout. I haven't found them yet. The lake is very rocky with very deep holes and shallow spots. My depth finder shows going from 6ft of water down to 120 ft back up to around 30ft in a matter of 100ft or so. Going to try a different strategy next time I go out. Thinking worms and jigs might work better than minnows. Can't hurt to try.

I was going to try another lake a few miles down the road from camp this morning but temps quickly shot up to over 30 celsius so I decided to pack up early and come back for a nice bike ride this afternoon.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Productive day today out at camp. Got a storage shed built big enough to store two of the atv's. Also built an addition to the deck. Our deck at camp is now 10x8. Been building it in 5x8 sections and joining them together in order to facilitate easier moving if we even decide to change to another campsite. Not bad for a hangover day after last night's gathering around the campfire. We're back home now since our daughter has her first communion tomorrow morning.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I never imagined how nice it would be to be able to come out to camp again. We decided to come out last night for the night. I soo needed this. Back to normal in a sense. Im still hobbling around with a cane but still nice to be out here. For mobility I have my quad to use to get around the camp ground. Every one was happy and surprised to see me. Was nice just sitting around the fire with friends. I never imagined how emotional it would be. I actually shed a tear realizing I may never have been able to do this again. I've learned to appreciate every little thing in life since I almost lost it all.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Well this just sucks but have to take care of the health stuff first before we can think about an RV trip. We had originally planned on hauling the camper out to Manitoba in later August to visit family etc. We were looking forward to it and were planning a whole trip out of it and had campsites booked for the whole trip. We just had to cancel the whole trip due to upcoming medical appointments and other stuff. Plus, I'm in no shape to be messing around with a camper every day leveling it etc. Oh well, next year.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
In lieu of hauling out to Manitoba for ten days my wife changed her vacation time and since I'm on a semi permanent vacation right now we decided that since we normally have 4 children and are busy with them, we managed to swing a whole week with no kids. We will instead head to camp for a few days and relax.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
In lieu of hauling out to Manitoba for ten days my wife changed her vacation time and since I'm on a semi permanent vacation right now we decided that since we normally have 4 children and are busy with them, we managed to swing a whole week with no kids. We will instead head to camp for a few days and relax.

That sounds great!

Be sure to get some exercise everyday but don't overdo it. Take a good book and find a shady place to relax.

We expect regular reports but don't spend the week sitting in the tent surfing the net! :yum:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We learned a valuable lesson on Friday. When leaving camp make sure there is enough propane in the tanks to keep the refrigerator running if the power goes out.

What happened was there was just a bit of propane left in the tank it was feeding off. I forgot to switch the valve over to the full tank when we left two weeks ago. The refrigerator runs on ac normally but if the power goes out it automatically switches to propane to keep running. I guess what happened was the power went out for a bit. It switched to propane and when that ran out it went into a default mode and shut down. I got it running again but we lost everything in the freezer and most things in the refrigerator.

Sausage and hamburger don't last long in 30 degree heat apparently.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like my theory was correct. Had a leak in one of the propane lines which caused a full tank to run dry over night while we were back in town. I located and blocked the line. Have the propane drawing off the other tank now. The refrigerator is working fine as well.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Glad you found the leaking line, better than a bad tank!

We had a camping trailer years ago.

Threads like this make me think fondly on those days. Not sure I'd want another trailer. But a small camper van might be interesting.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
This is really the first problem I've had with the camper. I am very careful with the maintenance on it though. Not sure if I'd enjoy it as much if we didn't have a seasonal site. It's nice to just grab some groceries and clothes and head out here. Everything is set up when we get here. Just unpack and we're relaxing. Plus. It's like a little community out here. A bunch of us get together and sit around a huge fire pit every night. This afternoon we all went to a nice beach a few miles away and let all the kids swim as we sat around taking in the sun and chatting. We all pitch in to help each other as well. Just before my accident I helped one guy build a shed. The next day we were tearing apart old pallets and using the wood to build a guest cottage on someone else's site.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Good to see you back camping Brian i am sure old routine will help the recovery....did you take the arm chair:biggrin:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
It is very nice to be out here socializing with friends again. I'm still moving at a snail's pace with a cane and for the most part I'm sitting on my butt doing nothing. Muscle spasms in my back limit what I can do.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
This summer's camp life was cut a little short due to my accident. We have a big weekend planned for this weekend. Four days. The campground is doing Halloween this weekend for the kids. We're also planning a boat trip out to a sand bar to spend the afternoon swimming. We should have 3 boats full and around 15 people

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Our neighbors at camp gave us a nice fire pit. So we donated ours to some of our friends who just moved in a month ago. Kids enjoyed roasting hot dogs for supper.

6ec246da3521b52850b350717788f5a9.jpg
913b76523726d78f1d06eda4580cd2ca.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Our oldest boy has decided that he now wants to sleep in the tent in order to prep himself for scouts this fall. I'm also in the market for an older truck camper. I figure the two older boys can sleep in there. I can also use it for a hunting/fishing camp.

a35ee7c091483aec2645721cee46fe55.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
One of life's little treats. Mmmmm roasted mushrooms over the fire. Cook them till juice comes out then sprinkle a little salt. Yummy

9e8e612f19802bd7cd5a47006f866b10.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
It was a good day at camp. We took all the kids to the beach to swim. Followed by a a nice time around the fire with friends.

bdd6b22f790f3beca95575a9dac03065.jpg
cfba67f444e03b0d774634285cdbcae8.jpg
eb0e3f3265875dac11c45d8fd8f04056.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Woke up to the sound of thunder in the distance. We only ended up with a bit of rain this morning then the skies parted and the sun came out. HOT and HUMID was the agenda for today. Most everyone was recouping from last night. Today is Halloween at camp for the kids. They'll be going around in their costumes after supper. Fun times. I imagine there will be another social gathering around the big fire tonight.