• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

boat maintenance

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Dayum guys, I haven't yet closed the deal with the wife.

Beautiful bit of work there Marty.

What a prize to have.

Puts a new meaning to the term "dream boat."
Sadly it may just be that.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree. However, I'm putting money aside for another Park Model Camper.
$17K
I don't think I have room for another $9K
Can understand that. Plus you and I both know there would be a few thousand more to get her like you want her. Wood boats take extra maintenance, they are beautiful but it's best to have deep pockets.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Can understand that. Plus you and I both know there would be a few thousand more to get her like you want her. Wood boats take extra maintenance, they are beautiful but it's best to have deep pockets.
The small ones are not bad, I have had a few wood cruisers in the passed. The runabout, change fluids every year and re calk the bottom every other year. Its a week of spare time or a weekend of raking the bottom seams, pulling all the old calking and cotton out. Then pack the seams with cotton then re calk. a little bottom paint touch up and your good again. With a wood boat if you have a covered slip its much better to leave it in for the season. If you trailer it. That means you have to put water in the hull the night before to swell the wood or you will be taking on a lot of water 1/2 the day. This one has 2 very aggressive bilge pumps front and rear. Most of the folks that want a boat like this one belong to a club and go to shows with them, like classic cars. like a 57 chevy Belair it has a soul, unlike a Kia. If you take care of them it will appreciate while you own it.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
The small ones are not bad, I have had a few wood cruisers in the passed. The runabout, change fluids every year and re calk the bottom every other year. Its a week of spare time or a weekend of raking the bottom seams, pulling all the old calking and cotton out. Then pack the seams with cotton then re calk. a little bottom paint touch up and your good again. With a wood boat if you have a covered slip its much better to leave it in for the season. If you trailer it. That means you have to put water in the hull the night before to swell the wood or you will be taking on a lot of water 1/2 the day. This one has 2 very aggressive bilge pumps front and rear. Most of the folks that want a boat like this one belong to a club and go to shows with them, like classic cars. like a 57 chevy Belair it has a soul, unlike a Kia. If you take care of them it will appreciate while you own it.
I don't have time for the boats I already have.
They are all glass.

My FIL had an old 14 ft Javelin. Mahogany wood hull yes but plywood. Driving it was like riding a rock skipping across the water.

After a few years of maintenance, we glassed it to the waterline.

Years later, he glassed it all.