• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Amateur Radio for a Group

G MTB

New to the forum and amateur radio in general. We have a mountain bike team that currently uses Motorola radios to communicate between coaches. Unfortunately due to the terrain we generally ride in, the radios don't work all that well, and there isn't reliable cell service as well. I've been researching the amateur radio's and it is a bit confusing. If we were to purchase several BaoFeng radios and obtain an amateur license, will these radios provide the needed boost in range? Also, if partially so, does adding a base station or personal repeater help given that we are operating in mountainous and heavily forested areas? Would all coaches need a license or could one obtain the license for the group and be the "master" that everyone works off of?

I know a lot to unpack there, but without getting too far into the weeds, is what i'm looking for reasonably possibly, meaning relatively cheap, and not all coaches needing a license. If not, we can just stick with our patch work system using cell phones and motorola's when they work.

Thanks,

Scott

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Cardo has a MESH system for motorcycles, skiers and more. It reaches 1/4 miles. Would that help you?
If not what range do you need?

chowderman

nutshell version:
the requirement for license is based on power output - and anyone who transmits that amount of power will require a license.
those who are just 'listening in' do not require licenses.

nutshell2:
radio is 'line of sight'
the weedy part: signals can 'go around/over/under' things, to an extent. research 'fresnel effect' for more detail on that.

higher power = increased range, however "mountain biking terrain" is likely going to be the problem.
how are you at moving mountains (g)?
flying a drone with a repeater would work . . .

Reactions: Doc

G MTB

Thanks for input. We generally stay within two miles of each other, as the crow flies, but as Chowderman hit upon, line of sight is an issue. We are frequently only within a 1/2 mile to a mile of each other but in completely different drainages that are forested. Motorola consumer radios work in a lot of our scenarios, when we are in the same canyon and somewhat close, but there are occasions that they fail which is why i'm looking into a more powerful setup. I do like the drone idea, but that comes with other issues, such as a qualified person manning it each night, and battery power to keep it afloat for 2+ hours.

Will the amateur radio license be required for all coaches with a radio, or just the trailhead coach that possibly has a base station to increase our range using a portable antenna? I was thinking we could get a "group" or "club" license to cover all, but as i mentioned in my original post, it is quite confusing to parse through the information. I was hoping someone else has just done something similar with another team or club.

We are a high school non-profit team, with about 70 riders and 30 coaches, so we have some resources, but also need to try and keep it within a reasonable price range. We do only need about 15 to 20 radios active at any one practice, as not all athletes and coaches attend all events though.

Appreciate any additional insight that can be provided.

kc3tec

Getting licensed for amateur radio is so much easier than it used to be and it opens up communications on a much wider level.
The license is good for 10 years.
Getting to general level opes a lot of the hf bands for use and extra class opens all and lets you use a much higher power level.
Also learning morse code can be a lot of fun.

kc3tec

Also anyone using a ham radio must be licensed, a club license will not do.
Gmrs radios are still within power levels of general walkie talkies but in a different frequency range.
There are more powerful radios that do not require a license, but they are not cheap.
So if you go the baofeng route remember everyone needs to be licensed.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for input. We generally stay within two miles of each other, as the crow flies, but as Chowderman hit upon, line of sight is an issue. We are frequently only within a 1/2 mile to a mile of each other but in completely different drainages that are forested. Motorola consumer radios work in a lot of our scenarios, when we are in the same canyon and somewhat close, but there are occasions that they fail which is why i'm looking into a more powerful setup. I do like the drone idea, but that comes with other issues, such as a qualified person manning it each night, and battery power to keep it afloat for 2+ hours.

Will the amateur radio license be required for all coaches with a radio, or just the trailhead coach that possibly has a base station to increase our range using a portable antenna? I was thinking we could get a "group" or "club" license to cover all, but as i mentioned in my original post, it is quite confusing to parse through the information. I was hoping someone else has just done something similar with another team or club.

We are a high school non-profit team, with about 70 riders and 30 coaches, so we have some resources, but also need to try and keep it within a reasonable price range. We do only need about 15 to 20 radios active at any one practice, as not all athletes and coaches attend all events though.

Appreciate any additional insight that can be provided.
what about getting a school license on gmrs you could have a "portable" repeater on a vehicle to cover the area your riding in.

The General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) is a licensed radio service that uses channels around 462 MHz and 467 MHz. The most common use of GMRS channels is for short-distance, two-way voice communications using hand-held radios, mobile radios and repeater systems. In 2017, the FCC expanded GMRS to also allow short data messaging applications including text messaging and GPS location information.

Services that provide functionality similar to GMRS include the Citizens Band Radio Service (CBRS), the Family Radio Service (FRS) and the Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS).

The GMRS is available to an individual (one man or one woman) for short-distance two-way communications to facilitate the activities of licensees and their immediate family members. Each licensee manages a system consisting of one or more transmitting units (stations.) The rules for GMRS limit eligibility for new GMRS system licenses to individuals in order to make the service available to personal users. (Some previously licensed non-individual systems are allowed to continue using GMRS.)

In 2017, the FCC updated the GMRS by allotting additional interstitial channels in the 467 MHz band, increased the license term from 5 to 10 years, allowed transmission of limited data applications such as text messaging and GPS location information and made other updates to the GMRS rules to reflect modern application of the service.

a boefeng raido in the grms band is about $35.00 repeater would have to be built for you by radio dealer.

grms repeater video

kc3tec

Yes a baofeng can be programmed for grms applications but would need to be locked to that frequency and power limitation range to stay within the edict of the license.
Not to throw a damper here but they are monitored and the fcc fines are very stiff.
Like i posted earlier its not at all difficult to get either the tech or the general license.
Its easy to study the question pools and ve's can administer tests to multiple students.
Contact the local amatuer radio club for assistance in testing schedules.
You can also do online testing via zoom in different places, I did my tech test thru the Alaskan amateur radio club,
https://kl7aa.org › vec › amateur-radio-organizations-and-clubs-in-alaska

The ve's like to keep you at ease with the test and rapidly review your test, you generally recieve the certificate within a couple hours, and the fcc license within a couple days. When your call sign appears in the online registry you are officially licensed and allowed to use your new privilages.

And I did my general test through my local club.
I was able to use the new privilages immediately
Again had the official license upgrade the following day.