1973 Tucker Sno Cat 1443 New to Me

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
1443 5 wheels per track. Maybe because pontoons were still standard and this was and option back then?

Your stamped data plate is interesting. I'm very curious as to the actual weight of your Tucker. I'm suspicious that the listed 4,600 lbs is the weight for a pontoon equipped machine. I say that because I have a Tucker 1500 series brochure and spec sheet dated 9/78 and it lists the unladen weight as 5,970/6,310 lbs (undoubtedly different cab configurations).

Further on it lists "Engine: Standard, Chrysler 318 CID V-8" with no optional engines available. For transmissions it lists "Transmission: Standard, N.P.G. 540 (5 Forward/1 Reverse) and two automatic options a Chrysler A 727 and an Allison AT-540.

I also have another 1500 series spec sheet dated 10/83 which lists the unladen weight as 6,340/6,560 lbs. And it also shows the 318 V-8 as the standard engine with the 360 as an option with two Cummins options as well.

I'm thinking the rubber track system weighs more than the steel track/pontoon system (and may require more power to turn it). I suspect Tucker then decided to use the 318 because of the extra weight/power requirements, but that's supposition on my part...

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
They list the weight of each ATV track conversion as approx 400 lbs. I would say that is close to a pontoon, sprocket, track, and rollers.

Towing it felt same and it sits in the same spot as the 442. I did have the 442 on top of me. When this one runs me over I can make a better weight comparison!

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
On the no sno steel track is faster. Think on the snow rubber is going to cruise a little faster.

There is a guy on Lake Winni that modified a rubber like mine. Changed the gearing in the diffs. Cruises 25 on the lake. Has to be pushing the machine tracks hard!

Aaron Tucker

My old rubber track was a dog thats why I went with a the steel track freighter. still haven't taken it out tho so I don't know . I drove a 542 like your old one in Aspen tho and it hauled up hills like my old rubber did down hill lol. I think it has alot to do with resistance. I always felt that if my old rubber track had a diesel it would have been able to keep up

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
We don't really get the snow out here but with the little test run the 442 v8 has much more up hill power at very low rpm. The slant did well just a littler higher rpm. Still learning!

Here are some specs across the models.

Attachments

• IMG_6846.PNG
    IMG_6846.PNG
    155.2 KB · Views: 888

Aaron Tucker

also mine had an ID tag that stated not do go over 3600rmp . dos yours new one say something similar ? I always assumed this was for that tracks not the engine .

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
also mine had an ID tag that stated not do go over 3600rmp . dos yours new one say something similar ? I always assumed this was for that tracks not the engine .

I think the engine RPM limitation was for the hydraulic pump. Vickers, the hydraulic pump manufacturer, recommends a maximum RPM of 2,500 RPM (dependent on pump volume output). Tucker uses a larger driven pulley on the pump than the drive pulley on the engine crankshaft harmonic balancer to slow the pump RPM relative to engine RPM. IIRC, the pulley geometry works out to 3,333 engine RPM equals 2,500 pump RPM.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
We don't really get the snow out here but with the little test run the 442 v8 has much more up hill power at very low rpm. The slant did well just a littler higher rpm. Still learning!

Here are some specs across the models.

Interesting specifications... I've never seen those before. Thanks for posting that.

I'm curious as to what ring and pinion ratios Tucker used then. The axles look like Dodge corporate axles and at some point they changed to Dana 60's. All four of my Tuckers have had Dana axles, and all used 4.88:1 gear sets.

In my experience when you start going fast (a relative term in a Tucker) the engine is working hard, and there's a whole lot of rotating mass in the belts and grousers. Maybe you get used to it, but I'm a little uncomfortable over 12 MPH or so. It seems like you're putting a lot of stress on the system components, and that typically leads to premature failure.

To me, the advantage of a more powerful engine isn't necessarily top speed, but rather you can run that 8-10 MPH sweet spot up hills, and in deep snow, in a higher gear than you can with a less powerful engine.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Got the build sheet from the nice people at Tucker today.

4.56:1 ratio. Dodge 1/2 ton rear end with tapered axles. Will post the sheet tomorrow .

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Broken leg feeling real good. Practicing for my McCall comeback tour!

The medicinal benefits of Tucker sno cat nip I think is not fully understood. Thankful for my therapy cats.

Attachments

• IMG_6867.jpg
    IMG_6867.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 808

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Love New England. Up here in the NH mountains and have to drive south to Massachusetts to find the sno!

Tucker trials tomorrow! Factory subwoofer installed

Attachments

• IMG_6860.jpg
    IMG_6860.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 818

nikos

Track Addict
Broken leg feeling real good. Practicing for my McCall comeback tour!

The medicinal benefits of Tucker sno cat nip I think is not fully understood. Thankful for my therapy cats.

Attachments

• IMG_6867.jpg
    IMG_6867.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 773

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
We still got about 1' of snow here on this side of the notch.:smile: A couple years ago i saved aside a slant 6 with transmission and emergency brake assembly at the scrapyard,i think it might be a 5 speed pretty big box. Just in case you need any parts.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Put on about 4 miles today. So far loving the rig while missing my 442 at the same time. Rougher ride in low sno conditions and definitely not the power of the small block but I am liking this little Chrysler motor. This cat will cruise a bit faster than the steel tracks. Another plus is less snow stored in track for garage melting/flooding!

Everything is nice and tight on this machine.

Fixed the temp sender. The Stewart gauges need their senders. Fuel gauge reads intermittent . Have the new sender hoping fixes it.

Put a CB antenna in to fill the hole and after all it is a radio cat. Installed the missing rear door bumpers and mock installed the sub woofer and sound bar. For a clean nice sounding plug and play system the stealth 10 and stealth 6 sub is tough to beat.

Door on driver's side kept popping open. It was warn to the point the flat catch was tapered and would open. Quick weld and grind fixed. Will clean this up later.

Next comes the problems questions post ?

Attachments

• IMG_6923.jpg
    IMG_6923.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 772
  • IMG_6924.jpg
    IMG_6924.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 747
  • IMG_6926.jpg
    IMG_6926.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 721
  • IMG_6911.jpg
    IMG_6911.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 739

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Question and answer time .

1. There is a draw the kills the battery over a few days. Everything is stock looking at the wiring. Nothing is keyed other than the ignition module from the looks of it. What could it be? I don't have the new stereo installed and haven't changed anything .
2. Three toggle switches lines up in a row. Heat/defrost/wipers have their own. One is headlight/dashlight left toggle.No high low beam from what I can tell. Middle toggle is mystery switch. Right is rear light. Dome wired direct and on a button on the light. Haven't traced middle switch but figured someone may know?
3. Wiper knob/switch has three positions one is park and stops the wipers at the same location low on the windshield. Other position is on. The third seems to
Stop the wipers at any location your turn it to this position but if you move the actual wiper arm manual and start the motion it does one swipe. Odd
4. When it is cold it cranks a bunch with choke then fires and stalls. Choke off it then fires and idles but if you give or throttle it stalls. Once up to temp starts and runs like new. Unfamiliar with the slant six but maybe a carb rebuild and new points/condenser ? Hope the pros can guide me here

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Check the alternator, a bad diode can do this. If it is shorted, it will show fast, but a bad leaking diode can drain the battery over days.