• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

WTB: Hand Crank Starter for Snow Track

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Anyone have a Hand Crank for starting a Snow Trac that they want to sell? I'd love to have one.

If you don't have one you are willing to part with, can anyone take detailed photos of their hand crank, and provide dimensions so that I can make one out of steel rod?

Help :wave:

The process is shown/described in this thread: http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=7983&highlight=crank+starting+snow+trac

Below is a photo from Big Al followed by a photo from mtnmogs. But if I can make one (still not sure about that) I will need some detailed images and measurements of the end piece where the starting rod connects to the engine.

Attachments

• jewelry 025.jpg
    jewelry 025.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 205
  • crank_in_place.jpg
    crank_in_place.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 204

Deerlope

If you have never hand cranked an engine I suggest that you don't start now. Its the best way I know of to break a thumb, if you don't know what you are doing. Maybe just keep the crank for a conversation piece.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I never said I was going to actually use it!!!

But I want one for my collection of Snow Trac stuff.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I actually started mine with it one. Its not bad. The compression wasnt real bad and when it started the pulley the hand crank goes into has ears on it thar go one direction. So when it starts you just pull the crank back towards you nothing catches on it. I was pretty nervous to do it (bad Model T starting experience) but watched a video of Lyndon doing it and it was no big deal. A model T can brake your arm. Not the VW method though.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I was also able to make one in about 30 seconds. Follow along in my tutorial. :thumb:

Attachments

• DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 182
  • DSCF0004.JPG
    DSCF0004.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 182
  • DSCF0005.JPG
    DSCF0005.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 181
  • DSCF0006.JPG
    DSCF0006.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 181

Deerlope

You might be better if you prayed for a harsh warm winter. With cloud cover we always get snow in this neck of the woods and its usually warmer.

mtmogs

Bob,

I cobbled my crank (not to be confused with "waxing the dolphin" et al.) together in about 30 min. Not my best work but it does the job. I went out and measured the crank today (see drawing). You might get away with using a 3/4" diameter pipe to build your crank. I measured 11/16" on mine but in retrospect I think that is a bad measurement as I think I remember using a hunk of 3/4" solid steel rod that I milled down to fit in a larger diameter pipe. Incidentally, I crank started the snow trac today on the first crank.

Attachments

• crank.jpg
    crank.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 159
  • crank_end.jpg
    crank_end.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 161
  • crank_view.jpg
    crank_view.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 157

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
THANKS, even I can build something like that!