• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Why don't people use forums as much anymore?

kevinorsomething

Why have people stopped using forums in recent years? Have they just lost popularity or what? It might just be me, but I have always loved forums, and I'm surprised it took me so long to find this place. I just wanna know why you guys think they've slowly died off in recent years.

UberBastid

I suppose if it's the same members who are online everyday then that would make sense :)
Did you see the thread that was just shut down because someone called someone an idi*t ... oops I can't say that.
We can say fuck, shit, piss, motherfucker ... all of Carlins seven dirty words ... but a poster can not point out someone's mental short comings.

And THAT is a good example of why forums are dying.
It's because unicorns have litters of pups, and they are all out there, looking for a reason to be offended.

And that is boring.

About the time that thread got interesting, about the time that I started thinking "oh, I gotta go back and see what happened ... " it's gone.

And, if I offended anyone ... I'm probably gone too.
If I'm not banned, I'll be back in a couple weeks ... yawn.

Ironman

Did you see the thread that was just shut down because someone called someone an idi*t ... oops I can't say that.
We can say fuck, shit, piss, motherfucker ... all of Carlins seven dirty words ... but a poster can not point out someone's mental short comings.

And THAT is a good example of why forums are dying.
It's because unicorns have litters of pups, and they are all out there, looking for a reason to be offended.

And that is boring.

About the time that thread got interesting, about the time that I started thinking "oh, I gotta go back and see what happened ... " it's gone.

And, if I offended anyone ... I'm probably gone too.
If I'm not banned, I'll be back in a couple weeks ... yawn.

It’s in the rules. Don’t call people names… you can say fuck, but I can’t call you a stupid fucker. Even if you deserve that title, I’m not going to call you a dumb fuck.
You point out why you think forums are dying, yet here you are. And I’m pretty sure you’ll be back posting this forum. Plenty more out there unless you like coming back to this one. 👍😁

UberBastid

Just saying that THAT was a very active thread.
People were actively discussing, arguing, debating.

THERE WAS 64 responses - in less than 10 days.
When was the last time there was that may responses?
Glad you asked. 121 on a thread that was started June 18. 2022. And it took three months to get to 121.

How far would this one have gone?
Dunno. Probly MUCH further than 121.

Could it have gotten enough play to get a Google search and maybe we'd pick up a couple of new people because of it?
Dunno.

There were a few people there having a good time. But, being grade school, we can't use hurtful words. Can't play dodge-ball any more; somebody might cry. It might make someone wanna go find their safe place, or mamma's warm lap to sob in.

Sure, I'll be back, every couple of weeks. It's just like all the rest.
And traffic will continue to go down.
Personally, I don't really care -- but, you asked (well, someone did) and that is my theory.
And I believe it is provable.

rebrecs

Just saying that THAT was a very active thread.
People were actively discussing, arguing, debating.

THERE WAS 64 responses - in less than 10 days.
When was the last time there was that may responses?
Glad you asked. 121 on a thread that was started June 18. 2022. And it took three months to get to 121.

How far would this one have gone?
Dunno. Probly MUCH further than 121.

Could it have gotten enough play to get a Google search and maybe we'd pick up a couple of new people because of it?
Dunno.

There were a few people there having a good time. But, being grade school, we can't use hurtful words. Can't play dodge-ball any more; somebody might cry. It might make someone wanna go find their safe place, or mamma's warm lap to sob in.

Sure, I'll be back, every couple of weeks. It's just like all the rest.
And traffic will continue to go down.
Personally, I don't really care -- but, you asked (well, someone did) and that is my theory.
And I believe it is provable.

What do you make of a forum that has no visible means of support other than donations?

UberBastid

What do you make of a forum that has no visible means of support other than donations?
I could make several assumptions:
- The owners do it as a labor of love, not for profit.
- The income depends on the number of users, the fewer users, the less income.
- Donations depends on the happiness and contentment of the users.
- Some users enjoy censorship if it only effects the 'others'. Kind of like 'the cool table' at high school.

It's like: It's ok to tell someone to ''shut up'', but you can't use the "i" word to do it.
You know how that feels, right rebrecs?

chowderman

the rules here are very simple: be civil
the Political section is a bit looser than others - if you're going to get into politics, you'd better be prepared for some minor flame wars.

there are people who take great glee in putting others down with the baddest names they can come up with - and all sorts of other trash talk. that is the limit of their participation - bashing people.
they eventually cross the line and get banned.

and I have seen "old timers" here get suspended for bad behavior - every forum management is different, but it's pretty consistent here.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
the rules here are very simple: be civil
the Political section is a bit looser than others - if you're going to get into politics, you'd better be prepared for some minor flame wars.

there are people who take great glee in putting others down with the baddest names they can come up with - and all sorts of other trash talk. that is the limit of their participation - bashing people.
they eventually cross the line and get banned.

and I have seen "old timers" here get suspended for bad behavior - every forum management is different, but it's pretty consistent here.
I agree that folks can't be threatening violence, but political discussions get heated and should be allowed to do so. If the threads are consistently getting shut down, thats censorship and being on a forum with too much censorship is like an HOA where you are paying money for someone to control you. Like Madness said if its too hot in the kitchen just stay out.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been a member here for a long time.
The moderation here has become pretty lenient compared to other times.
If you get banned, that means you've done something to deserve it!
We're one less problem to have to deal with.
Freaks come out of the woodwork allll the time.
Hard driven, heated debate can be entertaining.
Depends on the persons doing so.
If you turn full idiot, toodle-oo!

power1

I have been banned before. Can't remember why. I forgot all about the forum. Then I started getting messages from it. I ignored them for a while then decided to see what was going on. I will probably get banned again someday. Just like the teacher telling me "This is going on your permanent record". I will not miss a lot of sleep.

UberBastid

Sure, whatever.
The question was: why is forum usage going down.
The answer is: censorship.

Good or bad ... that's the answer.

I think that this whole internet thing is just a fad anyway.
It will all go away and we'll be sending letters thru the US Mail again.

Does anyone want a pen-pal?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Sure, whatever.
The question was: why is forum usage going down.
The answer is: censorship.

Good or bad ... that's the answer.

I think that this whole internet thing is just a fad anyway.
It will all go away and we'll be sending letters thru the US Mail again.

Does anyone want a pen-pal?
No it's not a fad.
No we will not be sending letters through the mail again.
I think you've just posted that as click bait, like you have before.

UberBastid

No it's not a fad.
No we will not be sending letters through the mail again.
I think you've just posted that as click bait, like you have before.
Or a bad attempt at humor?
Done that before too.

My court-ordered psychiatrist once told me that people with high IQ's have a skewed but well developed sense of humor.
She was not joking.
I don't think ....