• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

warranties

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Just broke the chain on my new Sthil 180 chain saw. Took it back to the Hardware where I bought it, guess what, the chain is not covered as it considered a ware item. It didn't ware out it broke, WTF. CHAINSAW and the chain isn't covered under warranty, isn't pretty much everything on it a ware item. Its a small saw and I was de limbing and it just broke with maybe 4 hours of use on it. Nothing is what it used to be.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Lots of fine print in the warranties and all insurance for that matter. We had a Hyundai Sonata. At the 3 year mark the back up camera stopped working. This is on a car that has a 5 year 60K bumper to bumper. The service rep said you just made it in by days for the warranty to cover it. I said the car has a 5/60K warranty. Not the electronics, that is 3/36K. Aren't the electronics between the bumpers I responded. :D All in the fine print.

One of my saws is the 180 like yours. It is the perfect de-limber after felling the tree. I use only Sthil chains and never broken one. They should cover that. I would not let that go. Write to the company or better yet try to get a live person which is not easy these days. Good luck. Tell them if you wanted a piece of shit you would have bought a Husqvarna. After they send you the new chain that is. :thumbup:

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Lots of fine print in the warranties and all insurance for that matter. We had a Hyundai Sonata. At the 3 year mark the back up camera stopped working. This is on a car that has a 5 year 60K bumper to bumper. The service rep said you just made it in by days for the warranty to cover it. I said the car has a 5/60K warranty. Not the electronics, that is 3/36K. Aren't the electronics between the bumpers I responded. :D All in the fine print.

One of my saws is the 180 like yours. It is the perfect de-limber after felling the tree. I use only Sthil chains and never broken one. They should cover that. I would not let that go. Write to the company or better yet try to get a live person which is not easy these days. Good luck. Tell them if you wanted a piece of shit you would have bought a Husqvarna. After they send you the new chain that is. :thumbup:
Worth a try, damn thing was $30.00. I wasn't even abusing it.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I agree that warranty isn't what it was supposed to be. I spent 3 hours yesterday trying to get warranty on a 3 week old set of headphones we bought for our son for Christmas that broke. Here's how that went.

I drove to the city to bestbuy where we got them and ask about warranty. They have a maintenance department called "geek squad" that deals with warranty. They said that I have to contact the extended warranty department and give me the number.

So I left there and drove home to call. I spent what felt like an hour to get through a bunch of stupid automated messages and get to a menu option that says for warranty claims, go online to their website and fill out a warranty claim form. Ok. So I go there and spend another hour trying to figure out what contract number on the original receipt to insert in the form. It calls for a 15 digit number and the number on the receipt is a 21 digit number and won't accept it. Ok. Fine. So by this time my wife is off work and comes out to find my face red and me about to lose it.

She takes over and goes online to fill out the form (because she being a woman will have better luck) wrong. So she finds the manufacturer number for the maker of the headphones and calls it, waits on hold for 20 minutes, then passes me the phone. First question I ask is "Is this the Canadian or US number?" It's the American one. They transfer me to the Canadian one. We go through the whole process finally speaking to a human after 2 hrs. They look and say that this still falls under the manufacturer warranty and we have to go back to the store to return it. We'll HOLY F...... I wasted 3 flipping hours yesterday dealing with warranty and I'm no further ahead.

PGBC

Bought 5 new tires and rims in October 2022.
Next morning a tire was flat.
I filled the tire up at home, and drove to the tire shop.
They found the tire had a bad bead, and wouldn't seal properly.
I asked how they didn't notice this while mounting them, got no answer.

They don't have another tire in stock, so put my spare on, and said they would call me when the new tire came in, mount it, and it could then be my new spare.

3.5 months later I am still driving around with no spare, and the tire shop says despite many requests, Nokian still hasn't sent them a new tire.
Anyone want to guess if I'll ever use that tire shop again, or buy another set of nokian tires.

chowderman

at <60 days of billing date, the charges should be refuted.
that tends to focus their attention.
3.5 months later . . . you're screwed.

PGBC

Just wanted to update this thread.

I filed a lawsuit against the tire shop, and they wanted desperately to settle out of court.
Today I received the call that $5,000 had been deposited into my account, which I verified with my online banking.
$5000 is more than I was suing for.
They don't even want the tires or wheels back the lady told me today on the phone.
She apologized on behalf of the store, and let me know that it's now under new management.

PGBC

that's a bit surprising - but nice it turned out well!

I don't think that they wanted the bad publicity of losing in court for starters.
Once served, it went from just a local thing, to head office.
From that point on, a nice lady was handling it over the phone directly with me. Several times she mentioned that they were wanting to deal with it outside of court, and she promised me that they would make it right.
A regional manager became involved, and he drove to PG, where he uncovered that the local store manager had been 'playing games' aka lied. Not only had they got in an identical tire like mine that needed replacement for a damaged bead, but actually had received 42 of them, between the time of my needing 1 tire replaced, and my filing a lawsuit. Most had been sold, but the regional manager found 2 in stock in the store, that had been there for several months. In his own words, when I met him, when he called me, and asked when I could come in and get the new tire put on the new rim " Even if he had not been able to source a new identical tire directly from the warehouse, we have over 300 stores, he could have got one from another store".
Then the regional manager went on to personally install the new tire onto my spare rim himself, balance it, and put it back up under the box where the spare goes, and asked if I would like to pull my F350 in, and get a free tire rotation, which I did. I spend a lot of time in the shop myself, so we actually did it together, and had a good talk while doing so. I couldn't help but notice the store manager was not around, so mentioned that, and the regional manager said " I've found that he was playing games with you, and several other customers, so he is no longer with us".
When I left, felt much better, and was told that if I ever have any more problems to call him directly on his cellphone, and he gave me his card, and direct number. He also told me that corporate would be in contact with me soon to straighten out the lawsuit, and he to said that they hoped to settle out of court.
My lawsuit for $4,428.65 has now been canceled by me, as of yesterday afternoon, so we will not be going to court on October 12th.
I will accept partial blame for not filing sooner.
Had I filed my small claims suit earlier, corporate would have been aware sooner, and this would have been dealt with long ago.
At least it had a satisfactory outcome, and I didn't get a flat tire in the past 10 months, and need the spare.
Technically I did carry a spare, but it didn't match, and was smaller, and only about 20% tread left on a crappy tire.
Being a 4x4 pickup, and locking rear differential, using a different diameter tire is hard on the drivetrain.
I've intentionally left the stores name out of this post, as we are now settled, and they did the right thing, and so I don't want to smear their name.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't think that they wanted the bad publicity of losing in court for starters.
Once served, it went from just a local thing, to head office.
From that point on, a nice lady was handling it over the phone directly with me. Several times she mentioned that they were wanting to deal with it outside of court, and she promised me that they would make it right.
A regional manager became involved, and he drove to PG, where he uncovered that the local store manager had been 'playing games' aka lied. Not only had they got in an identical tire like mine that needed replacement for a damaged bead, but actually had received 42 of them, between the time of my needing 1 tire replaced, and my filing a lawsuit. Most had been sold, but the regional manager found 2 in stock in the store, that had been there for several months. In his own words, when I met him, when he called me, and asked when I could come in and get the new tire put on the new rim " Even if he had not been able to source a new identical tire directly from the warehouse, we have over 300 stores, he could have got one from another store".
Then the regional manager went on to personally install the new tire onto my spare rim himself, balance it, and put it back up under the box where the spare goes, and asked if I would like to pull my F350 in, and get a free tire rotation, which I did. I spend a lot of time in the shop myself, so we actually did it together, and had a good talk while doing so. I couldn't help but notice the store manager was not around, so mentioned that, and the regional manager said " I've found that he was playing games with you, and several other customers, so he is no longer with us".
When I left, felt much better, and was told that if I ever have any more problems to call him directly on his cellphone, and he gave me his card, and direct number. He also told me that corporate would be in contact with me soon to straighten out the lawsuit, and he to said that they hoped to settle out of court.
My lawsuit for $4,428.65 has now been canceled by me, as of yesterday afternoon, so we will not be going to court on October 12th.
I will accept partial blame for not filing sooner.
Had I filed my small claims suit earlier, corporate would have been aware sooner, and this would have been dealt with long ago.
At least it had a satisfactory outcome, and I didn't get a flat tire in the past 10 months, and need the spare.
Technically I did carry a spare, but it didn't match, and was smaller, and only about 20% tread left on a crappy tire.
Being a 4x4 pickup, and locking rear differential, using a different diameter tire is hard on the drivetrain.
I've intentionally left the stores name out of this post, as we are now settled, and they did the right thing, and so I don't want to smear their name.
Good for you, but why do we have to go there to make thing right.

chowderman

Good for you, but why do we have to go there to make thing right.
"chains" use "managers" and "managers" are judged on the location's financial performance.
is not the first "manager" doing dirty to be a star, and won't be the last.....

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just broke the chain on my new Sthil 180 chain saw. Took it back to the Hardware where I bought it, guess what, the chain is not covered as it considered a ware item. It didn't ware out it broke, WTF. CHAINSAW and the chain isn't covered under warranty, isn't pretty much everything on it a ware item. Its a small saw and I was de limbing and it just broke with maybe 4 hours of use on it. Nothing is what it used to be.
No surprise. Chain on chainsaw is like brakes, belts and wipers on a car.