• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Too enthousiastic

georgeofdesert

GOLD Site Supporter
George
by chance you have
pictures of your steel axles?
Steel axle housings? There's a picture on my other (only) post. Stuff is mounted on machine now, so harder to get details. As I recall the aftermarket parts were almost identical to the aluminum originals, even to the location of the grease zerk. The flanges for the brake shoe backing plate were a little wider though.
If you want to photo a certain area let me know.

Moosemeat

GOLD Site Supporter
I ordered a high torque starter the other day and then see one with a gear to work with a 6 volt starter ring. I would prefer not to modify my transmission bell housing. How do I know if I have a 6 or 12 volt starter ring?

western auto

I ordered a high torque starter the other day and then see one with a gear to work with a 6 volt starter ring. I would prefer not to modify my transmission bell housing. How do I know if I have a 6 or 12 volt starter ring?
do yourself a favor and grind the tranny for a 12v flywheel, it takes about 10 minuts with an angle grinder and a 60 grit 3" rolock sander disk

western auto

careful that sander digs in hard and fast, i did it to one of my buses a while back, a nice even grind all the way around and blend in , i got a little too close to the starter bushing on this one but i run either automatic vw starters or the aftermarket reduction unit so that doesnt matter;)

Attachments

• IMG_7709.jpg
    IMG_7709.jpg
    582.8 KB · Views: 82

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Sadly, no. you are not the only one to have this problem. No doubt there is an answer. I just don't have it.

Moosemeat

GOLD Site Supporter
I think I've settled on a fix for the brake drum. I have a 2 band machine with the brake drums on the outside. Mill the protruding spline and sprocket attach points down and install a flat steel plate with a new spline welded in the center attached to the sprocket points. It will end up being the same thickness, just new splines. Hopefully the snow guard will still fit. Otherwise, more drawing boards. Any comments?