• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thiokol 601

Idaho IMP

My 601 has a 223 ci ford motor that now needs rebuild. By chance would anyone have a 262 ci ford -6 around. It’s found in medium duty fords in the early 60s.
That’s a huge bummer, sorry about your luck! Out of curiosity, what happened to the motor? They’re a very strong engine. my first car was a 72 maverick in the early 90’s with the 258-6 in her. Well over 300k miles…that engine was the best! Keep us posted with lots of pictures. We love pictures….

JonasSmith

Thanks. Yea. Summiting mt Howard will put any machine to the test I think. Lots of switchbacks which our brake steer cats don’t love, followed by a long straight climb to the top. That era of ford engines had oiling issues to begin with, I’m pretty sure I spun one or two rod bearings on that climb because I was in 1st gear and pushing 3200 rpm the entire time. And my oil pressure went from 40 psi to 5. There’s no turnouts or wide spots on that climb till near the top either so I had to keep grinding my way up. It still runs, it’s just rattles and knocks pretty bad. So it’s got to get a overhaul regardless.
IMG_7844.jpeg

PradoTDI

I got a spare 240 engine for my 601 from an old New Holland baler. Being from a piece of equipment rather than one of the light duty Ford pickups of the era means it is the industrial version. Not sure what the differences between the 223/262 and the 240 would be, but expanding your search to old farm equipment might yield the desired result. Mine was free since the baler was basically useless and destined for scrap, though the engine was a good runner when removed.

JonasSmith

I got a spare 240 engine for my 601 from an old New Holland baler. Being from a piece of equipment rather than one of the light duty Ford pickups of the era means it is the industrial version. Not sure what the differences between the 223/262 and the 240 would be, but expanding your search to old farm equipment might yield the desired result. Mine was free since the baler was basically useless and destined for scrap, though the engine was a good runner when removed.
definitely a 240/ 300 Ford would be the gold standard. Unfortunately the bellhousing are different and I need a 4 speed with the brake band on the tail shaft. The np435s found on the back of the 300s don’t have this as the vehicles by that time went to e brakes in the wheel drums. I thought about the farm equipment route because we have an old Heston Swather on the ranch in the scrap pile with a good 225 slant six. But measuring everything out, it’s too wide for the engine bay in the 601.
IMG_7942.jpeg
IMG_7941.jpeg

PradoTDI

What year is your 601? I was under the impression that they all got the 240 (military spec) or the 300 (civilian spec), though given the parts-bin nature of their construction who knows. I have so far been unable to positively ID the engine model in mine from the data plate and since the cat is a 4hr drive away I can't use physical clues on the engine to ID it, but have always assumed it was either a 240 or a 300.

JonasSmith

What year is your 601? I was under the impression that they all got the 240 (military spec) or the 300 (civilian spec), though given the parts-bin nature of their construction who knows. I have so far been unable to positively ID the engine model in mine from the data plate and since the cat is a 4hr drive away I can't use physical clues on the engine to ID it, but have always assumed it was either a 240 or a 300.
Mine is a 63 or 1964.. the 223 has the intake and exhaust on the drivers side. The 240 has the intake and exhaust on the passenger side. The 240 wasnt produced by by ford until 1964 which probably means it wasnt available till 1965.

Last edited:

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks. Yea. Summiting mt Howard will put any machine to the test I think. Lots of switchbacks which our brake steer cats don’t love, followed by a long straight climb to the top. That era of ford engines had oiling issues to begin with, I’m pretty sure I spun one or two rod bearings on that climb because I was in 1st gear and pushing 3200 rpm the entire time. And my oil pressure went from 40 psi to 5. There’s no turnouts or wide spots on that climb till near the top either so I had to keep grinding my way up. It still runs, it’s just rattles and knocks pretty bad. So it’s got to get a overhaul regardless.View attachment 173688
This just showed up on ksl.com. No details on the engine specifics. I'm not certain by any means, but that engine looks like the Ford 300 I-6 and it comes with the full bell housing and transmission setup.

JonasSmith

This just showed up on ksl.com. No details on the engine specifics. I'm not certain by any means, but that engine looks like the Ford 300 I-6 and it comes with the full bell housing and transmission setup.

Dang! What a setup! That transmission looks interesting with the hydrostatic reverse. It is the 240/300 engine as well. Thank you so much for the heads up. Definitely need to consider this.

JonasSmith

Found a 215 (early version of 223) about 5 miles from my house. Supposed to be fully rebuilt and 0 hours sitting in a guys shop. Hopefully he’s telling the truth about it.