• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thief sues store after getting a beating from employees ... claims loss of income

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
Poor guy, apparently head of a theft ring. Long rap sheet. He now has panic attacks and insomnia after taking a beat down while caught by store employees as he was stealing a car. So of course, he is suing the store, its owner, its employees.

He says he can't enjoy life anymore.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/b...al-car-was-punched-kicked-and-hit-by-staffers
Full story at the Winnipeg Free Press link ^^^

Man sues grocery store after he tried to steal car, was ‘punched, kicked and hit’ by staffers

Lawsuit alleges beating left chronic thief with hearing and vision loss, migraines, insomnia, panic attacks

By: Dean Pritchard Posted: 4:57 PM CDT Thursday, Aug. 28, 2025
A chronic thief who was beaten up after he was caught trying to steal a car outside an inner-city grocery store is suing staff, arguing he was left with life-altering injuries.
“The amount of force used against him was far in excess of what was necessary to execute a citizen’s arrest or detain him pending the arrival of law enforcement personnel,” 36-year-old Michael Prince alleged in a statement of claim filed earlier this month by his lawyer in the Manitoba Court of King’s Bench.
According to defence submissions heard last summer at his sentencing for a series of unrelated thefts, Prince was arrested in connection to the incident Feb. 26, 2024, after police followed a blood trail to the door of his Bannatyne Avenue home.
In his statement of claim, Prince says he was at Dino’s Grocery Mart on Isabel Street when he stole a jacket containing a wallet and car key fob and went home.
MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES                                Dino’s Grocery Mart on Isabel Street.
MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES
Dino’s Grocery Mart on Isabel Street.
“Prince says that after about 30 minutes, he decided to return to the store to steal the vehicle associated with the key fob,” the court papers say.
When he arrived, Prince found the car boxed in by two other vehicles. Prince entered the car, triggering its alarm, attracting the attention of eight or nine store staff who pulled Prince from the vehicle and “punched, kicked and hit him repeatedly” and struck him with a hammer, alleges the statement of claim.
. . .
“Prince says that when he became aware of his surroundings, he discovered that he was bleeding and had suffered blows to the head, which he later learned were the result of being hit by a hammer wielded by one or more of the assailants.”
. . .
Prince, described in the statement of claim as an “unemployed labourer” is suing for loss of opportunity to earn an income and “loss of enjoyment of life” and other damages, alleging he has suffered permanent hearing and vision loss, cranial nerve damage, and ongoing migraines, insomnia and panic attacks. . .
 
Saves the cost of the trial, cost of housing them in prison too.
That's why it's much better to simply end the thieves life.
But then the news media would have to find a different story to denigrate those who believe in law and order. True the beatdown sounds excessive. But why should honest citizens have to be careful when performing a "citizen's arrest?"
 
Top