• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Staining the house ... I'm too old for this

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We have your basic tan house. Going to go with a two-tone. And we are also changing the brick colors too. This is becoming a project! Not sure how long this is going to take. We can't really do any work on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesdays during the week because we have part-time foster son Kobe with us, so trying to accomplish a major project when he is around is not possible. That gives us Thursday thru mid-day Sunday each week to do work . . . weather permitting.

Using this Olympic stain on the house. "Lifetime Guarantee" on the product. Fairly expensive, but at 61 years old if it lasts the rest of MY lifetime then I will be happy. For a few dollars less per gallon they had one that is apparently good for 25 years. We are using a Chestnut brown for the trim wood and a light tan for the main body of the walls. At the moment about 0.01% of the wood stain has been applied!

The bricks are a different matter. I did not want to PAINT the bricks. We did a lot of research and talked to a friend who owns a brick company. Top recommendations were to STAIN the bricks. And the top recommendations were for a RustOleum product. At this point I have 100% of the workshop/back garage brick stained. As for the house, I probably have 40% of the brick stained.

Original brickwork. Brownish-Grey two tone.

tempImagetZP5kW.jpg

New color for the brickwork, red brick lines with horizontal mortar lines. This was actually common on some Prairie Style home in the early 1900's. As our home was designed in 1912 it is more period appropriate for the house. The horizontal motor lines make the bricks look line long rows and the mortar looks like horizontal stripes. Apparently the architects thought it make the houses look longer, lower and more fixed to the horizon line?

tempImageT68O5n.jpg

We plan to do the first floor painting, I've got a good friend/contractor who will do the upper level of the house. It will require scaffold, ladders and dealing with heights that make me uncomfortable! The lovely Mrs_Bob starting the staining on the front porch. The original wall color is obviously much darker than the new color that she is cutting in. The larger timbers will be stained with the darker chestnut color.

tempImageoE5WBE.jpg

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Now that's a project. :wow: Good luck getting it done before summer temps get up your way.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
That sounds too much like work. 🤣

Should be nice when done.

Here I thought that I would have a summer without a major reno project taking over the house. We moved in the summer of 2019. Since then, we've had the main floor hardwood floors refinished, changed all sinks and counters in the 3 bathrooms upstairs, new kitchen counters. And a complete master bath renovation down to the studs. This spring, we has some I've damming that caused water damage inside. Looks like our bedroom, livingroom and dining room will be getting paint and drywall repairs done by insurance. It's going to be a big job as we have 20ft cathedral ceilings throughout the upstairs.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
You got it, a couple hours a day is how I do the majority of my home projects. Be done before you know it.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
FWIW, as a mother's day gift I bought a Wagner power roller painter and an extended reach paint stick. Figure it will make painting the 4' eve overhangs a bit easier. It was $89 from Amazon. If it cuts out more than a few hours of work it will be worth the cost. Might even be good for the inside ceiling as the lovely Mrs_Bob has that on her 'honey do' list to get completed.