• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Sonny Barger, HELL'S ANGEL founder, dies at age 83

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not saying what he did was good, but clearly he had an impact on society.

Hells Angels founder Sonny Barger dies of cancer at 83

OAKLAND, Calif. — Sonny Barger, the famous founding member of the Hells Angels who rode the country by motorcycle, wrote bestselling books, fought the law and won on several occasions, and advocated against smoking after his throat cancer diagnosis, has died at 83.
The announcement of Barger’s death came on his official Facebook page with a post containing a farewell message written by Barger.
“If you are reading this message, you’ll know that I’m gone. I’ve asked that this note be posted immediately after my passing,” the post says. “I’ve lived a long and good life filled with adventure. And I’ve had the privilege to be part of an amazing club.”
Barger died of cancer, according to the post, which says he was surrounded by his wife, Zorana, and other loved ones.
Born Ralph Hubert Barger, the Modesto, Calif., native moved to Oakland as a child, enlisted in the U.S. Army as a teen, and gravitated toward motorcycle clubs at a young age. In his autobiography, Barger wrote that the Hells Angels were a small San Francisco club that fizzled before he joined. He and other bikers picked up the name and started the Oakland Hells Angels, which is now known as the club’s most significant charter. He’d go on to become the club’s national president in the late 1950s and is credited with helping build the Hells Angels into an international organization.

Attachments

• 1656631843661.png
    1656631843661.png
    73 bytes · Views: 116

Umberto

I saw a Boozefighter on I-5 yesterday and never seen one before. We had to look them up. I had heard of Wino Willie, the founder of the club.

UberBastid

I was bartending a bar in Oakland. I was all of 22 or so.
It was called "The Coat of Arms", on the corner of Foothill and Seminary.
Early 70's I guess.
About three blocks from the clubhouse.
There was usually a couple of angels in there, with or without colors.

One afternoon, about 3pm. Slow. Empty in fact.
Three angels walked in. I recognized two of them ... one was Sonny, the other one was Whispering Bill, the third was a probie.
I served them and they seemed to want privacy so I moved away.

A few minutes later a speed phreak walks in.
He sits down about half way down the bar, right in front of the ice and well and stuff and YELLS at me "GIVE ME A FUCKING GIN".
Dude. WTF.

I guess I was too slow. He yells it again ...
I walk to him and say, "You gotta go buddy. Yer too far gone for even this place. Get out."

He gets up and goes into the bathroom. A few seconds later ... BLAM, BLAM, two rounds go off.
"OH shit" thinks I.
I get the sawed off shotgun out, check it, pull both hammers back and lay it on the drain board.
He comes out, gritting his teeth and shaking.
I said, "Didn't impress me brother. You need to get the fuck outta here, now."
I put my hand on the shotgun. And we looked at each other.

I see Bill nod his head at the probie out of the corner of my eye. He and probie get up, walk behind the guy and grab him. Pin him against the wall with his feet about six inches off the floor.

"Where's your gun man" said Sonny standing in front of him.
He motioned to his belt, and Sonny took it, dropped it in a pocket in his cut.
"Where's your knife?"
He was told, Sonny got it from his boot and put it in his pocket.
"Anything else we need to know about?"
Shake of the head.

"Ya know, Chuck's not a bad guy. I think you two just got off on the wrong foot. I get it man, you're spun and need something to get your feet back on the ground, right?" Nod of the head.

"I bet, if you asked him nicely, that he would serve you ONE quick drink. Wanna try?"
Another nod.

They put him on his feet. He shuffled up and said, "Could I have a shot of Gin?"
I poured, he paid, drank it and left.

I put the shotgun away and walked down the bar to where they were sitting and said, "Thanks for the assist."
"Woe kid - wait a minute. Come here for a sec, we gotta talk." I went closer and Sonny said, "I didn't do YOU any favors, ok? You don't owe me anything, and I don't owe you anything. I am a firm believer in letting two grown men settle their own shit, and it looked like you had it under control. But, picture this. Cops get here, tweeker is dead, you got a smoking gun in your hand, and we are here ... who is going to jail? You? Nope. The angels go to jail. Now, We have an important business meeting in about an hour and I can't miss it. I did that for ME, not for YOU. Dig it?"
I nodded. Got it.

They finished their drinks, tipped generously and left.

I've got several stories from working that bar. They used to roll in and suggest that I lock the door to 'keep the civilians out' and they would PARTY. Hard.
The biker women scared me more than the guys.
The women were ... vicious.