• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Silk Wallpaper and Wood Trim project in the living room

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is a surprise gift for our 39th Anniversary on Friday to the Lovely Mrs_Bob. She left yesterday morning to visit our daughter Melen in Chicago for a couple days. I had everything set to spring into action.

Purchased a few rolls of silk wallpaper with a blooming dogwood pattern and a burnished gold background. Hid the box when it arrived. I had a bunch of poplar trim that was already stained, but not the correct size for what I needed. I've been sneaking away to the workshop, ripping it down to size on the table saw, never spending too much time in the shop that she would ask what I was working on. Then had to match the stain on the newly sized edges.

The room as it was... (obviously taken with the Christmas decor). But the wall with the 5 double stacked windows is the area where I have been working.

IMG_0605.jpeg

So my idea was to install wallpaper in the 4 upper areas of the wall between the 5 window columns.

Yes, that is Blue painters tape holding some of the edges in place while the wallpaper paste dries.

IMG_1604.jpeg

The final step was to 'double frame' the wallpaper into the space.

So using some of the same sized trim, I ripped it down and set it on its edge, to create a tall thin frame inside the existing trim. This was a technique that I had seen on several Craftsman and Prairie style homes from the early 1900's. It adds a 3/4" wide piece of trim that protrudes an extra 1/2" forward, creating a nice shadow play and a bit more visual weight.

So the finished project, completed just a short while ago.

IMG_1618.jpeg

The blooming dogwood tree pattern was chosen largely because we have lots of dogwood trees growing on our property and our foyer has a dogwood mural painted around the perimeter of the room so it seemed like a pretty natural choice.

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Better photo of the framed in wood work over the silk fabric. It's a little detail, but one that is missing. And while we have been adding things for nearly 30 years to this house, compared to an original Frank Lloyd Wright or a Walter Burley Griffin home, it lacks so many details. So this is just one less that project in a long list that I need to do. It will be done someday?

And yes, that is a water stain on the ceiling. Repainting is another project for another day.

tempImage9CFLWn.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just a follow up.

The lovely Mrs_Bob arrived home from our daughter Melen's house today. And today is our 39th Anniversary.

She loved it. She would like more of it.

More is already in the plans, but I wanted to make sure she loved it first.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So the second batch of wall paper arrived early today.

And already installed in the existing wood framing.

Now I have the hard work to do. I need to rip down some poplar wood to the proper dimensions. Stain it to match the existing trim, varnish and then install it. I have enough poplar to do the job, but it all is old wood from prior projects, some have bad edges, so there will be a lot of waste, but given that some of this wood has been laying around for nearly 30 years, it is not like it has anywhere else to go. Might as well rip it down, waste a few bits, and use most of it to add another dimension of trim to the room.

When I did the original project, which was only the top portions of the wallpaper, I already had the wood prepared. So the job went much quicker. I knew the lovely Mrs_Bob was going to be gone for a bit more than 48 hours. So I'd sneak away to the shop, cut a few pieces. Stain a few pieces. That went on for weeks. All of the wood was ready to go. She had no idea because I would sneak away for short periods of time. For the install, I just needed her out of the house for a couple days so I could slap up the wall paper and then fit the trim. 2 good days and the job was done.

But I figure I have 1 day of ripping wood to dimension. I day of sanding sealer. Maybe I can stain later that day if it all times out right. Then a day of staining wood, if that is done early, maybe I can varnish in the late evening. After it is dry, then I can install. So maybe 4 to 5 days. Most of that time is just letting it dry.

IMG_1659.jpeg

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
So the second batch of wall paper arrived early today.

And already installed in the existing wood framing.

Now I have the hard work to do. I need to rip down some poplar wood to the proper dimensions. Stain it to match the existing trim, varnish and then install it. I have enough poplar to do the job, but it all is old wood from prior projects, some have bad edges, so there will be a lot of waste, but given that some of this wood has been laying around for nearly 30 years, it is not like it has anywhere else to go. Might as well rip it down, waste a few bits, and use most of it to add another dimension of trim to the room.

When I did the original project, which was only the top portions of the wallpaper, I already had the wood prepared. So the job went much quicker. I knew the lovely Mrs_Bob was going to be gone for a bit more than 48 hours. So I'd sneak away to the shop, cut a few pieces. Stain a few pieces. That went on for weeks. All of the wood was ready to go. She had no idea because I would sneak away for short periods of time. For the install, I just needed her out of the house for a couple days so I could slap up the wall paper and then fit the trim. 2 good days and the job was done.

But I figure I have 1 day of ripping wood to dimension. I day of sanding sealer. Maybe I can stain later that day if it all times out right. Then a day of staining wood, if that is done early, maybe I can varnish in the late evening. After it is dry, then I can install. So maybe 4 to 5 days. Most of that time is just letting it dry.

View attachment 178085
Really nice work Bob!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
And let the ripping begin . . . this is mostly 30 year old baseboard and window casing that was either left over from when we built the house and/or removed as we made modifications/upgrades to various rooms. It is now being ripped down to the correct dimensions for the tall 'frame' that will be set inside the existing wood frame.

I'm happy with the progress. I think I have enough cut for the 4 remaining spaces. All these will obviously have to be cleaned up and trimmed down. I'll need 8 pieces roughly 5' long and 8 pieces roughly 20" long. Should be enough there after it is trimmed.

For now I am going to rest my hands and arms. Damn but arthritis sucks.

IMG_1662.jpegIMG_1660.jpegIMG_1661.jpeg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wood was pre-stained on Friday.

Stained on Saturday (3 coats, 3 different colors to try to match up very closely to the original wood, which was stained nearly 30 years ago and finishes tend to change or darken with age).

This morning I got the first coat of polyurethane on the wood. After it dries I'll sand it with 600 grit sandpaper and reapply the polyurethane if needed. Then I can load the truck up with the compound miter saw, finish nail gun, and the wood. The workshop is only a couple hundred feet away from the house, but so much easier to drive everything I need in 1 trip than to carry the tools and wood in several.

So not sure if I will get to installing any wood later today? Or if it will be installed tomorrow? Really depends on if I need a 2nd coat of polyurethane or not.

Plus we have Mother's Day dinner this afternoon in Chicago that will take away 4+ hours of possible installation time. I guess, the more I think about it, looks much more likely the wood trim will be installed tomorrow.