• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Paint sprayer

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
After much shopping, bidding etc. I have finally signed a contract for a house. ( Most listings are selling in less than a week ! )

The pink and blue bedrooms have to go and I want to paint the kitchen cabinets. ( We won't discuss the pink kitchen counter or bathroom fixtures...)

I want to use oil base paint on the cabinets and latex on the walls.

So far my research suggests that I need different sprayers for cabinets and walls.

Do any of you have a sprayer you would recommend and what did you use it on ?

TIA

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Pixie, I can't help you much. I am a brush and roller guy for inside. I have a pneumatic sprayer but I've only used it outdoors on fencing, patio furniture and such. Spraying paint isn't as easy as you might think. There is a definite learning curve and a technique to master.

As for needing different sprayers, you'll probably need different nozzles for the same sprayer to handle oil base and latex. I wish that I could be more helpful but I just don't have enough experience to advise you. Perhaps our house flippers and builders will come in with some sage advice.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Can't help with the sprayer. I have a wagner sprayer I picked up last year but so far I've only used it at camp to seal the deck. I'm worried about overspray inside.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
An airless sprayer works good for large areas with latex paints. However you still get overspray on adjoining surfaces. Cleanup with latex is easy but time consuming as you have to run a large quantity of water thru the system to remove all paint residue, clean the strainer on the suction and remove and clean the strainer located in the gun handle. If all these aren't done in a timely manner you'll have some junk to throw in the trash.
If it's used for oil base then a large quantity of paint thinner will be needed for cleanup. Then run some water with Dawn dish soap thru it to remove all thinner residue. My opinion is to use brush on the cabinets. This is all free advice worth every penny you paid for it.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I decided to just use a roller/brush for the latex work and bought a gravity HVLP for oil.
I don't mind painting that much but I detest cleaning up. I have a shipping container to practice on and several compressors. The NAPA gun was $89 on sale compared to half that for mid-range on Amzn but it MIght be a better gun.

Thanks for comments here and in the other threads. I don't need to paint the ceilings and hate masking and with my luck, right in the middle , all the masking protecting the ceiling would come fluttering down or a hose would leak and I'd have paint saturated carpet....roller is just more idiot proof :).

NAPA gun comes w/pressure regulator.

Last edited:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you're going the roller route, you may want to look at a "paint stick".

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
roller is just more idiot proof :).

That's why I use it. :smile:

I've seen professional painters take the doors off cabinets and take them outside to spray. The frames and the insides they did with a brush. And you're right, a sprayer is a lot of clean-up unless you just intend to use it once. :smileywac

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Ya, that's my plan for the cabinets.

Not just cleaning the sprayer itsself but the overspray and masking and whatever mishaps occur.

Hoping all the paint fumes will drown out the dead rodent smell.....