OTB-Bombi! Let the Jury Begin

Snowy Rivers

The diffy looks good.
As long as your bands are not "Crumbly" and there is material above the rivets you are golden.
The drums should not be scored......

The cross cuts are done to allow oil to flow in between the drums and the band surface.

Was there and metal junk on the magnetic drain plug ????

Looks like a winner......

Great score.....

OTB

The diffy looks good.
As long as your bands are not "Crumbly" and there is material above the rivets you are golden.
The drums should not be scored......

The cross cuts are done to allow oil to flow in between the drums and the band surface.

Was there and metal junk on the magnetic drain plug ????

Looks like a winner......

Great score.....
Sorry I didn't get a reply back to you as Snowy Rivers! I must have overlooked this somehow. It did not appear that there was that much metal in it at all! I was pleasantly surprised when I peel back cover open and saw that!

Snowy Rivers

I am jealous for sure.....When I yanked the drain plug out of my diffy "Orange watery slop poured forth"
Yes...the gears and parts look great.
From what I can see from the pics...the inner planetary gears look sweet as well.
The small gears near the middle can and do wear over time.....the smaller size of the Bombi (Less weight too) as compared to the much larger machines does not take near the toll on the innards of the diffy.

NOT having to venture into the gear box is a good thing......
They are not particularly hard to work on.....just costly and time consuming.......

Reactions: OTB

OTB

I am jealous for sure.....When I yanked the drain plug out of my diffy "Orange watery slop poured forth"
Yes...the gears and parts look great.
From what I can see from the pics...the inner planetary gears look sweet as well.
The small gears near the middle can and do wear over time.....the smaller size of the Bombi (Less weight too) as compared to the much larger machines does not take near the toll on the innards of the diffy.

NOT having to venture into the gear box is a good thing......
They are not particularly hard to work on.....just costly and time consuming.......
Yeah, everyone I've talked to thus far has told me that if my diffy is in good shape then I'm sitting pretty good. I guess it makes up for the amount of rust that is on it! LOL! I'm going to have to reskin the entire thing it's so bad.

OTB

Well after some debating, I've decided to go with the Ford 2.3 l for my power plant. The setup I bought came out of a 1978 Ford Courier, I believe. It also came with a JATCO 3N71B automatic transmission.

This is definitely not what everyone else is going with from what I can tell, at least as far as the transmission goes. I'm still in the process of tearing into everything oh, so I guess we will see what we see when we get there! LOL

Attachments

• 20210220_162457.jpg
    20210220_162457.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 16141059526151299099292158753715.jpg
    16141059526151299099292158753715.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 8
  • 16141059955793137883907471386896.jpg
    16141059955793137883907471386896.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8

HillBilt

Well after some debating, I've decided to go with the Ford 2.3 l for my power plant. The setup I bought came out of a 1978 Ford Courier, I believe. It also came with a JATCO 3N71B automatic transmission.

This is definitely not what everyone else is going with from what I can tell, at least as far as the transmission goes. I'm still in the process of tearing into everything oh, so I guess we will see what we see when we get there! LOL

Nice! the 2.3 is a solid choice, capable of impressive HP numbers and lots of aftermarket support. Its the motor I want to put in mine when the 1.6 gives up the ghost. I know nothing about that trans though...

OTB

Nice! the 2.3 is a solid choice, capable of impressive HP numbers and lots of aftermarket support. Its the motor I want to put in mine when the 1.6 gives up the ghost. I know nothing about that trans though...
Yeah, it doesn't sound like too many people know much about that transmission! I figure, what the hell, we'll give her a shot and see what happens!

Bobcatbob

GOLD Site Supporter
Let us know on the transmission! If you can get it to fit and mount up, an automatic would be a world of improvement (shifting to 3rd and 4th on our machines is brutal on the clutch)

Bob

Bobcatbob

GOLD Site Supporter
After rebuilding the 1.6....these engines are tanks! Unless you pull the Hoof governor and over rev....for an hour with no oil or coolant...I’m not sure how you‘d kill this beast!

HillBilt

After rebuilding the 1.6....these engines are tanks! Unless you pull the Hoof governor and over rev....for an hour with no oil or coolant...I’m not sure how you‘d kill this beast!
I agree with you 100% after actually driving my cat I'm happy with it for the most part. I just commented on it in Ezrollers thread. But its pretty hard to come by a 1.6 in my neck of the woods, lots of 2.3 mustangs though, so I would be more inclined to swap it if it ever scatters...lets hope not though!