• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Need horse advice.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I bought a pony for the grandkid and he is a stud, pretty well mannered. Would say a 5 on a 1-10 scale. Halter broke, leads well and hasn't tried to kick or bite but a little spooky on one side and I am working on that. The real question for someone that has a lot of experience with horses is, I found a bombproof 9 year old quarter horse that has done it all for trail riding. Do you think the can pasture together without problems. I don't really want to fence another section and build another shelter.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I think the two should get along just fine, Marty.
I think I might see if the seller will bring the other horse over to see how it goes first. They are a 1/2 hour away. We had a stud pony as a kid as well as geldings, my sisters friend she rode the pony with had a mare. We didn't know any better and I guess the horses didn't either. Just want to make sure we just didn't get lucky.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I was always told that horses are herd animals and that they are usually much happier with company. I have also seen two stallions fight over a mare. It was pretty vicious, but they got it resolved in the end.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
That was probably the reason he was for sale.
No it wasn't, the kid out grew the pony, anyway the question was about a gelding an a stud pony getting along, not if a stud will make a good pony for the grandkid. I got that covered already.

power1

No it wasn't, the kid out grew the pony, anyway the question was about a gelding an a stud pony getting along, not if a stud will make a good pony for the grandkid. I got that covered already.
A stud is not going to get along with anything for very long. Ask any person who raises horses and they will tell you a stud is unpredictable and it is not safe to let it around anyone except an experienced horseman.
Your kids and your stud. Do what ever you want.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
A stud is not going to get along with anything for very long. Ask any person who raises horses and they will tell you a stud is unpredictable and it is not safe to let it around anyone except an experienced horseman.
Your kids and your stud. Do what ever you want.
Look we had a stud pony as a kid that my sister rode with her friend that was a mare until her feet were dragging the ground. No-one got hurt or died. I have horse experience, just wanted an opinion from others on putting a stud and a gelding in the same pasture. Thats the only information I am looking for.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
A "test drive" is worth the half hour trip.

In another half an hour you will probably know if they can get along. The first 10 minutes will be interesting...
I did this with two mares. It took a bit but the truth is they love a little company.
Good luck!

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
A "test drive" is worth the half hour trip.

In another half an hour you will probably know if they can get along. The first 10 minutes will be interesting...
I did this with two mares. It took a bit but the truth is they love a little company.
Good luck!
Im thinking the same, the pony won't be lonely, I spend a good amount of time with him. He is a good little guy and has taken to ground work very well. But I'm not a horse. When the farrier came over a couple weeks ago he wouldn't lift his feet and acted a little spooky, 2 weeks of working on that, he will lift his feet with a tap on the side of his leg, just a little work and some carrots. Mexican family had him till there kid out grew him then he got pastured for a year and lost some training, but he is willing.