• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

My new Tucker Sno-Cat, 2742

VXclimber180

Well I have given in to the sno-cat bug and my wife has finally got tired of hearing about it and gave the OK:clap:!! I have driven up to Ontario to pick up my new cat (new to me). It is a 1979 Tucker 2742. I am hoping the wide tracks will get me through the deep snow up to the cabin. I took a couple of photos of it today. I plan to pick it up in the morning and take the tracks off to get it under width to haul home. I am sure that there will be many more adventure to come but the first one is to get it loaded and back home!!

Attachments

• IMG_0555.jpg
    IMG_0555.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,280
  • IMG_0556.jpg
    IMG_0556.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1,036

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Keep good batteries in her, and don't let it set around idling to much and don't forget your ear protection.....:whistling:

Great looking cat with a classic engine to boot. I bet it has plenty of power for those wide tracks.

Have some fun already!

Regards, Kirk

wakeupcall

GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats on the new cat! Love the wide tracks, should go thru the deep stuff really good. Have fun!

Northcoast

GOLD Site Supporter
I think the tucker motto "no hill too steep and no snow too deep" should be appropriate for:clap: your cat! The psi should be pretty low . congratulations on a great machine.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Congratulations on your purchase!

I'm also hoping for more pictures. I've never seen a 2700 series machine in person and I'm curious as to some of the details in a true wide track Tucker.

I hope your trip home is safe and "uneventful".

Congrats and welcome to the "Tucker Society of Deepsnowology"! Wide tracks and 6 bogies = deep deep snow fun.

Now go get some pics of her in action.

VXclimber180

Ok, here is the adventure of the first day....Arrived onsite 7:30am, wanted to see how the old DD started on a cold day. It was 16F and the block heated had been on for 1.5 hours. It does have an interesting heater as the unit heats the water and pumps it through the block, seems to work well. It started right up with 15 seconds of cranking:clap:. I was very glad to see it start up easy. Just so everyone knows it has the two stroke Detroit Diesel in it, it is a 4 cylinder with a supercharger and a turbo-charger. Not sure if it is a 53 or 71 series. So after a little black smoke and a slight ringing in the ears it was ready for a test drive. It does have good power and the Allison tranny shifted strong. The snow was not real deep, I sunk in about 24" just standing on it. The cat left about a 4" track!!! I was smiling now. After a few spins around the field I was ready to get it loaded up. Well I have to say that Steel grousers on Steel trailer equals very slippery!!!!! So first thing the back track slid off the side. No damage other than pride, used a back-hoe to lift and slide it back up. So after about 3 hours of taking tracks off and chaining everything down I was ready to head south. It only took driving for 10 min to hit the snow storm. So after 5.5 hours of driving in the snow I still have not made it to Toronto. But safe and sound, I am ready for bed and another day tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_0566.jpg
    IMG_0566.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 908
  • IMG_0571.jpg
    IMG_0571.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 893
  • IMG_0585.jpg
    IMG_0585.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 865
  • IMG_0548.jpg
    IMG_0548.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 875

VXclimber180

Just to clarify for those that are not familiar with the 2-stroke DD, they all have a blower on them. It is needed to push the exhaust out of the cylinder, that is one reason they are louder than other diesels. The turbo does add boost but the supercharger does not. But you gotta love the whine of a blower and hearing the turbo spool up!!!!

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the update and additional photos.

If you go to Safety One's website they have some historical sales brochures from various manufacturers as well as different models. They have several from Tucker, though there isn't a 2742.

My impression is Tucker changed their model nomenclature, in that a 2700 series machine appears to be a wide track 1700. They do have a brochure for a 1742, and when you look at it it shows a machine very similar to yours and it's referred to as a 1700-WT.

From that brochure, and others I've seen, I believe Tucker offered the 4-53 Detroit and not the 4-71. (For those that may not know, 4-53 means four cylinders, each cylinder having a displacement of 53 cubic inches.) They offered the 4-53 with and without a turbocharger, as well as a few other Diesel engines.

Have a safe drive home!

tatman

SUPER Site Supporter
In Wyoming a farmer, rancher can carry loads up to 12 ft wide in the day light with out a over width permit, so we don't have to take the tracks off or get a permit to move our wide Tucker. Just a wide load sign. Nice cat you'll have a lot of fun with it. As said before with that Detroit and steel tracks you'll need some ear plugs!!!

snowbird

I agree with the joy of the sound from a turbocharged diesel. I kept my big John Deere farm tractor after retiring from farming and it does sound powerful when I push on the throttle. :clap:

2datop

Just to clarify for those that are not familiar with the 2-stroke DD, they all have a blower on them. It is needed to push the exhaust out of the cylinder, that is one reason they are louder than other diesels. The turbo does add boost but the supercharger does not. But you gotta love the whine of a blower and hearing the turbo spool up!!!!

I had no idea they made one with blower and turbo. I do love the sound of a blower. Might have to just add hearing that to the ol bucket list.

@vxclimber.... Any idea how it pushes out the exhaust and not add boost? :wow:amazing.... must have been a late night brain storming session to try that one.

VXclimber180

I have attached a 2700 series brochure that I gleaned from this forum. Also the build sheet for my machine that Tucker sent me today. The International RA 30 axles are really big, Jeff from Tucker said he did not know they ever put that big of axle in their machines. The Fairfield transfer case he said was also a custom heavy duty unit built for these machines. And as you can see it does have a 4-53T DD engine.

Will provide more detailed photos after I get home.

2datop....as for how the blower works pushing the exhaust out, the simple answer is that there are ports in the side of the cylinder liner that allow the air pressure to push the exhaust out the exhaust valve before the piston starts back up.

One more thing....US Customs was not at all happy with my Sno-Cat, they seemed confused as to what is was and what I needed one for. So they chose to send me through the full body cavity search. They ex-rayed my cat!!!!!!! Not sure what they where looking for but then I got to sit in a room for a couple of hours while they ........did not I have no idea what. But at the end they wanted no money and never did say what the issue was, BUT is was glad to be free again in the US:clap:

Attachments

• Tucker 2742 build sheet.pdf
    511.7 KB · Views: 174
  • 1-Tucker-2700-brochure-PG2.jpg
    1-Tucker-2700-brochure-PG2.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 666
  • 1-Tucker-2700-brochure-wm.jpg
    1-Tucker-2700-brochure-wm.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 669

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The reason the GM diesel super charger doen't really make boost is because there are no vales just ports at the bottom of the sleeve. The blower is used to push out the exhaust with the incoming intake charge, all while the piston is at the bottom of the stroke. It cann't build boost cause it just would push it out with the exhaust. In the two stroke snowmobile engine with an open crankcase, the ever changing preasure in the crankcase is utilized to do what the super charger does on the old jimmy. But since the jimmy has oil in a sealed crankcase, those preasure pulses are not available, hence the supercharger is used to push the evacuating air or intake charge into the base of the cylinder. Two strokes of course fire each time the piston reaches TDC. 4 strokes every other time....

Hope this helps
Kirk

VXclimber180

Here is a link to a short video of the 2742.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZSlQExjfoA"]YouTube - Tucker Sno-Cat model 2742[/ame]

srexecmark

Thanks for the update and additional photos.

If you go to Safety One's website they have some historical sales brochures from various manufacturers as well as different models. They have several from Tucker, though there isn't a 2742.

My impression is Tucker changed their model nomenclature, in that a 2700 series machine appears to be a wide track 1700. They do have a brochure for a 1742, and when you look at it it shows a machine very similar to yours and it's referred to as a 1700-WT.

From that brochure, and others I've seen, I believe Tucker offered the 4-53 Detroit and not the 4-71. (For those that may not know, 4-53 means four cylinders, each cylinder having a displacement of 53 cubic inches.) They offered the 4-53 with and without a turbocharger, as well as a few other Diesel engines.

Have a safe drive home!

I agree with the 2742 is the wide track version. I have a 1978 1742 and it has the same number of boggie wheels as mine does. I get through over 6' depths of fresh snow up steep grades where I am. These things will go where you cannot even walk. The steel grousers are great for those icy conditions too.

2datop

@VX & 300...

did I get this right?

The blower pushes air into a port at the bottom of the sleeve? in essence has it's own input port into the cylinder?

so the blower and the turbo are not inline with each other as far as airflow is concerned?

does the blower have it's own airfilter?

Pics would be awesome!

thx

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
2 cycle engines can not scavenge enough air to run even your s cycle snow machine has a blower in the snowmachine pressure in the crank case forms the pressureized charge to fill the cylinder and blow out the exhaust gasses the turbo on the detroit becomes an altitude compensator to apply above normal pressures to the intake system on the engine on the detroit this includes the blower so yes the turbo is stacked on top of the blower but in the 2 cycle application the blower is part of the engine and not a preformance enhancer