• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Muskeg

adambloch

Hi I hope this is the right place to post this sort of not and feel free to move it to the right place.
I have for my sins just taken on a Muskeg Carrier with a HIAB on the back. It has some of what seem like the normal problems like water in the diff. But it also has a few problems that are causing me problems. I have 1 wheel missing and at least another broken. I’m in the U.K. just to make things even more interesting. Does anyone know where I can get parts as there doesn’t seem to have been many in the U.K. ever.
Many thanks

adambloch

Here’s a picture of my little beast
D7CAD690-229E-4647-8F6C-0E2E847C03AF.jpeg

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Nice machine ! love the color. Sorry I can't help with parts. What do you plan to do with it ?

adambloch

I'm planning on using it to help build aviaries and some cabins.. We have a very sensitive site and lifting things is a real problem due to ground pressure. My biggest problem is the wheels.. You can see in the picture the solid tyre on the rear wheel is a little loose due to damage on the rim. The next wheel on the inside is missing :)

J5 Bombardier

Very nice Muskeg , and along way from it's home. Those new style solid wheels are a poor design, easy to remove the rubber from and that's where the problem lies, nothing secures the rubber other than being sandwiched between the two halves, which spread over time allowing the rubber to spin on the rim. I plan on trying to drill and bolt through both sides of the rim, on the outer edge to hopefully stop this problem before some I have are to far gone.
Goggle Kijiji Quebec Canada, their is a guy named Mario cell 450 512 5151, he has lots of parts and will ship overseas. Practice your French and it's going to be pricey. Best of luck J5 Bombardier

adambloch

Hi thanks for the info. I have spoken to Mario who seems like a really nice guy. The problem I have a part from the completely missing wheel is the rims seem to have been damage.. Image you have no rubber and then someone drives it over rocks and you'll be close.
I'm wondering if long term I should be looking for a donor Muskeg that we could ship to the UK. There were a few over here mostly used by power companies and forestry. Does anyone know if they were in Europe much?

J5 Bombardier

Post a pic of your serial plate (driver's dash ) or the right front tube bumper its stamped, I would say late seventies. A parts machine would be the way to go, whether it be a J5, Sw48 or a muskeg. Pics of Bombardiers taken all over the world show up, how many are left who knows. All I know is you can't have enough parts, the search never ends !
J5 Bombardier:hammer:

Attachments

• 2021-01-03 jan 2021 016 - Copy.jpg
    2021-01-03 jan 2021 016 - Copy.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 84

J5 Bombardier

Lots of info on this Forum, two of my Muskeg builds are there along with others. Basically, same wheels ( big Bearing ), diff, steering bands etc. Perkins Diesel in it ? , if so your in the right area for engine parts . Bearings, seals are off the shelf. Lathe comes in handy for making up the small parts.
Keep the pics coming :hammer:

adambloch

I've cut the bed off the back and we are in the middle of welding a new one on.. I'll take some new pictures next time I'm there. :)

adambloch

Does anyone know if the twin master cylinder for steering can be rebuilt easily and I guess the slaves as well? If so what the parts are?

J5 Bombardier

Get the casting numbers off the masters, I believe they are from 60 -65 dodge pickups. Slaves , you going to have to take one apart for the cup size. Keep the pics coming !
J5 Bombardier:hammer:

adambloch

On the move loaded up and on a 330mile trip to its and our new home. Took a little longer than we thought but we made it safely

the only thing we did find is that we have broken 3 cross links. Do these break more easily on tarmac? I see some have been welded before. More fun 😀
D03AEB5C-70B8-486B-AD8E-2F3498A7B841.jpeg

J5 Bombardier

I have never run flat crossers like on yours, we do see them here on Hydro units. The Double D crossers I run, will wear out from literally the tire rubbing on the inside flat and the edges go from ground wear. Have seen them crack from rocks jammed in , freezing mud (guess that's not a worry there ),welding, well maybe to get you out of a jam, the tempering makes them even hard to drill , I've used a reamer to use old 3/8in hole crossers up to 1/2 in holes.
If parts get hard to get , stick it in a can and ship it to it's birthplace . A person can never have to many Muskegs ! lol
J5 Bombardier

adambloch

Thanks for the help on the steering and I have found the brake master cylinder but does anyone have an idea for the clutch master cylinder?
C14AF4B7-0D11-40C9-A5FA-EB6F7E113D9C.jpeg

adambloch

Fun day today using the Muskeg in anger for the first time

4C1E355A-1457-4423-BFFA-C8D6DF3163B5.jpeg

Also the master cylinder arrived

51D46207-C155-40CC-836E-6F5543DDA4BA.jpeg

looks so much better than the old one and hope this means I can turn left which would be nice 😊

does anyone know what to do about new brake pads? Need to fix the hand bracket as things get a little interesting when it tries to roll while lifting😀

While I'm asking questions I'm having problems getting oil for the Differential. Any ideas for an alternative to the Esso? and is the viscosity?

Reactions: PJL

J5 Bombardier

Fun day today using the Muskeg in anger for the first time

View attachment 143714

Also the master cylinder arrived

View attachment 143715

looks so much better than the old one and hope this means I can turn left which would be nice 😊

does anyone know what to do about new brake pads? Need to fix the hand bracket as things get a little interesting when it tries to roll while lifting😀

While I'm asking questions I'm having problems getting oil for the Differential. Any ideas for an alternative to the Esso? and is the viscosity?
Caliper or drum /band for the brake ? I would go with any TDH oil available , everybody has their brand choice

adambloch

Ok so fun day and replaced the master cylinder. That was straightforward enough but I did notice that there is a little strange problem. The right hand side has a lever and handle that is straight to the pin that joins the rod that pushes the master. The left hand is different in that the part that goes beyond the pivot point of offset back a little. This means that the left hand lever is too far back to press the master cylinder properly. The rod is either too short or the part that the pin goes through needs moving. Hope that makes sense. Have a look at the pictures and see what you think 🤔

A956843D-46F0-45FD-83FC-1C54A7D79C66.jpeg

6CBDBE1F-DD87-45BE-B48C-138E38A3F1CA.jpeg

J5 Bombardier

The left stick tab looks bent back, it's not in line with the rest of the stick, did that short pipe between the two get twisted from someone pulling to hard. If it's fine check the depth of the bores in the old master compared to the new, length of the rods, what adjustment is left.
J5 Bombardier

adambloch

So it been twisted on the tube then. I might cut it off and weld it back in the right position then. I can line them up by passing a bolt through them both to set them straight. Thanks for that, maybe my slaves are ok :)