• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Muskeg

adambloch

So it been twisted on the tube then. I might cut it off and weld it back in the right position then. I can line them up by passing a bolt through them both to set them straight. Thanks for that, maybe my slaves are ok :)

Sorry I didn't read your answer properly and typing and working doesn't !! :) The rods that go into the master are both the same length so I wondered if at some point a rod has been changed or a different master cylinder.... The welds are all good and there is no sign of twisting. The weld on the tab is a little rougher than the other welds so maybe it moved and someone welded it in the wrong place.. Not sure but I'm going to cut the tube, turn and re-weld it. Might throw caution to the wind and paint or powder coat them :)

0BB863D7-F8F0-4016-ACCA-64B7CDCE51ED.jpeg

1388CD92-CFC3-45B5-97B7-1C024734A3F8.jpeg

FDCA1E0F-84D8-4064-9B3D-D0F22247D392.jpeg

adambloch

Back to the brakes and the drum brake for the handbrake. Is this another Chevy or Dodge part? What about the wet brakes on the diff?

J5 Bombardier

Back to the brakes and the drum brake for the handbrake. Is this another Chevy or Dodge part? What about the wet brakes on the diff?
No idea , post a pic of the driveline caliper so we can see it.
Diff brake bands , different beast , trouble turning you may have to open the cover and have a look. Lots of diff threads on this forum covering that . If bands need relining ,any clutch rebuild place should be capable.
J5 Bombardier.

adambloch

Had a fun day lifting trees. Got the pads out of the hand brake. Any thoughts of what they might have come from?
Thanks

E801F72E-0098-4352-84B0-F7B1EB5EEFA2.jpeg

E140791A-3737-4A8C-8ABB-E8CF26229E2D.jpeg

adambloch

Ok Turns out they might have come from a M35 truck of 1960s flavour.

1B973FD4-2771-4FB2-89BB-3D6AB13D287B.jpeg

Not a part I have been able to find for sale in the U.K. but found and company who are relining them and turning it around in 24hr 😀👍

baysdencrane

Fun day today using the Muskeg in anger for the first time

View attachment 143714

Also the master cylinder arrived

View attachment 143715

looks so much better than the old one and hope this means I can turn left which would be nice 😊

does anyone know what to do about new brake pads? Need to fix the hand bracket as things get a little interesting when it tries to roll while lifting😀

While I'm asking questions I'm having problems getting oil for the Differential. Any ideas for an alternative to the Esso? and is the viscosity?
Put a block of wood in front and in back of tracks

adambloch

Hi all just a quick update. Things have been great with the beast for the last little while, until today when we managed to rip the exhaust off. That a side the only other problem is we seem to be getting a little smokey. The engine when the Muskeg arrive ran great and wasn't smoking at all. Over the last couple of months we seem to have got a little smokey. Anyone else had this with the Perkins?

On another note I have managed to get my hands on a load of spare part. You may have seen a few posts of a guy in the UK (Tom great guy) who had a load of part he came across. I now have all these parts and I'm sure I'm not going to need them all. It's all NOS from what looks like the British Military. No Crown and Pinions left but most of the other parts are still there. I'm still looking for track parts and wheels.

Attachments

• Parts.jpg
    Parts.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 62

J5 Bombardier

Nice score on the parts, all the way from Canada to Britain , to the Falklands and back. lol The Quebecers were foaming at the mouth when he posted those pics on the Facebook page, thought at the time you two should meet up, it's all about location. Smokey Perkins , head to the air filter first, I'll be firing my 4.236 Perkins up in the SW48 in a month or so . Glad to here your parts supply has grown, keep the pics coming.

J5 Bombardier

I'm sure you guys are using low sulphur diesel across the pond ,adding a lubricant in the fuel tank is a must with those old mechanical fuel systems.

adambloch

It turned out to be an exhaust leak... So I don't know if it was a lack of back pressure or what . When It say leak it was snapped in half. hadn't really noticed as it was already really noisy :) now it's fixed it not only quieter but the smoke has gone.

adambloch

Ok back to old problems track cleats... any thoughts on where I can get some more? as you may have noticed I seem to have very flat ones. There are a few of what would seem to be the deeper ones that I see on everyone else's Muskegs.

When I'm tracking around you can really see the difference between the two types as the flatter ones don't damage the ground half as much.

adambloch

I have never run flat crossers like on yours, we do see them here on Hydro units. The Double D crossers I run, will wear out from literally the tire rubbing on the inside flat and the edges go from ground wear. Have seen them crack from rocks jammed in , freezing mud (guess that's not a worry there ),welding, well maybe to get you out of a jam, the tempering makes them even hard to drill , I've used a reamer to use old 3/8in hole crossers up to 1/2 in holes.
If parts get hard to get , stick it in a can and ship it to it's birthplace . A person can never have to many Muskegs ! lol
J5 Bombardier
Just a quick question I have just bought another Carrier (one is never enough) that seems to have the same flat tracks as I have on my first one. You mentioned that you might have seen them on a Hydro unit? I will have to break the second machine for it tracks at this rate to keep the first alive. It would be much better if I could find a supply for these flat tracks. any suggestion on where I can find some? I'll post more pictures when I have a minute. :)

J5 Bombardier

Just a quick question I have just bought another Carrier (one is never enough) that seems to have the same flat tracks as I have on my first one. You mentioned that you might have seen them on a Hydro unit? I will have to break the second machine for it tracks at this rate to keep the first alive. It would be much better if I could find a supply for these flat tracks. any suggestion on where I can find some? I'll post more pictures when I have a minute. :)
The only ones I've seen were on Hydro Quebec Muskegs at a Ritchie brothers auction years ago. The Double bump type seem to be more common , as most of us aren't worried about marking asphalt / pavement etc. There is a Jimmy Skidder running around these parts with flat tracks, which were on it when he bought it used . The operator was not happy with the traction when logging , but it must turn easier.
J5 Bombardier

adambloch

I have a few of the deeper ones on the tracks as well which causes the tracks to feel like they are slipping when that part of the track reaches certain places. Yes you can really see the difference on the ground as well. The flat parts leave almost no marks even on the softest ground other than a shallow slot. The deep sections pull up little bits of ground even in a straight line.

adambloch

77B1EEDB-1E21-414A-93BA-EC8CCA52986D.jpeg

So both of these two have the flat tracks. Unfortunately the one on the left is about to be cut up for spare for the other. If parts were easier I might be tempted to restore it. The joy of owning a muskeg in the U.K.