• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

LTE 2-way radios for outdoor use, camping, hunting, emergency use?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Anyone thought about these new(ish) LTE radios? They are NOT satellite communicators. They are NOT short wave/HAM radios. Nor are they inexpensive Walkie Talkies. Basically Push-to-Talk over Cellular.

Near as I can tell they are essentially dedicated radioes operating on 3G/4G/LTE cellular networks and offer nationwide coverage. But not necessarily in all remote regions and since they rely on cell coverage not a good replacement for something like a HAM radio in a true emergency like a war.

But, for direct communications, and group communications, it seems like it might not be a bad solution. They are generally aimed at the commercial market. Sold to hotels, parks departments, trucking companies, etc. As prices are not unreasonable, might be nice for a larger family group, etc for instant push to talk communicators, also as private channel walkie talkie substitutes in most areas of the US.

The units are far more ruggedized than a cellphone. Offer simple push to talk like a walkie talkie. Do require a cellular SIM card and either a monthly or annual subscription.

Just curious if anyone is using them. Thoughts?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is a pretty good brief explanation page, with some links, obviously talking about commercial use, but that would not be my interest:

Two-Way Radios That Use LTE Services For National Coverage​

Posted by Two Way Direct on 28th May 2021
Two-way radios can be used as an alternative to cell phones in businesses. However, if your business has multiple locations, you may consider two-way radios that use LTE services. This will allow your company to stay in contact with national coverage. Below, we list the most popular LTE two-way radios and LTE mobile radios from Icom and Motorola.

Icom IP501H LTE Two-Way Radio​

The Icom IP501 two-way radio works off 3G, 4G, and WiFi to give the user nationwide coverage and instantaneous communication. Calls can be made the same way as a conventional two-way radio. The IP501H does not require its own repeaters or IP network, which reduces the costs of building and maintaining a wide area radio network.

Add the optional Bluetooth® charger kit to your vehicle to make calls with the speaker microphone, while charging the IP501H. Even when the IP501H is not dropped into the BC-218, the Bluetooth® function enables you to wirelessly use the speaker-microphone.

Watch the video above to see how the Icom IP501H performs in a 50-mile coverage test.

Icom IP501M LTE Mobile Radio​

Alternatively, use the Icom IP501M mobile radio in your vehicles. The IP501M LTE mobile PTT radio provides instantaneous wide area communication using Icom’s LTE-CONNECT network. Use features like individual calls or group calls the same way as a conventional two-way radio.

The mobile’s small size is perfect for vehicles with limited space. The IP501M also allows Ethernet connectivity to interconnect with GPS software and other potential functionality in the future.

Motorola TLK100 WAVE Two-Way Radio​

The Motorola TLK100 WAVE two-way radio combines the broad coverage of a nationwide cellular network with the ease of two-way radio communications. Manage talk groups and subscriptions in real-time. Increase coverage, connections, and productivity without expanding infrastructure.

Watch the video above to see how the Motorola TLK100 performs in a 50-mile coverage test.

Motorola TLK150 WAVE Mobile Radio​

The Motorola TLK150 WAVE mobile radio is designed for use as either a vehicle-mounted radio or as a base station. Combine the broad coverage of a nationwide cellular network with the ease of two-way radio communications in your vehicle fleet. Safely operate while driving, with one button push-to-talk.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
We had the Sprint push to talk phones back in the day in our plant they were our company paid cell phone worked great.
I would go away for a week end and the boss would complain he couldn't get ahold of me. He just wouldn't believe theres places in Pennsylvania with out cell service.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I used to use Sprint too. The push to talk feature was good for our sales team back in the day. But the Sprint coverage was not very good back in those days.

These new LTE radios are basically the same thing as the Sprint push to talk system.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
To my mind the ONE feature I would like to see on these is the NOAA weather alert. I'd think it should be a natural addition to any sort of communication device. But apparently I'm wrong.

For the price it is only slightly more expensive than a high quality Walkie Talkie. Range on the LTE units is essentially 90% of the continental US. Seems like a better solution versus the FRS band radios that get maybe a mile of range, 5 from hilltop to hilltop on open ground. GMRS seems better than FRS but still limited to maybe 10 miles hilltop to hilltop? And they cost about the same price for decent handhelds. Of course GMRS doesn't need an annual fee. And GMRS works if the cell towers go down, so perhaps better in a SHTF scenario but for hunting, camping, etc seems like the LTE might be the more reliable and much longer range golden ticket.

Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 9.28.19 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 9.31.10 PM.png

Last edited:

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

For the price it is only slightly more expensive than a high quality Walkie Talkie. Range on the LTE units is essentially 90% of the continental US. Seems like a better solution versus the FRS band radios that get maybe a mile of range, 5 from hilltop to hilltop on open ground. GMRS seems better than FRS but still limited to maybe 10 miles hilltop to hilltop? And they cost about the same price for decent handhelds. Of course GMRS doesn't need an annual fee. And GMRS works if the cell towers go down, so perhaps better in a SHTF scenario but for hunting, camping, etc seems like the LTE might be the more reliable and much longer range golden ticket.
bought 2 baofeng UV9R pluse and programed them with chirp for frs the only issue I have is trying to figure the pl tone we use at hunting camp it out preforms any of the frs radios I have had.
amazon snip

1707104041666.png

Reactions: Doc

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bought 2 baofeng UV9R pluse and programed them with chirp for frs the only issue I have is trying to figure the pl tone we use at hunting camp it out preforms any of the frs radios I have had.
amazon snip

View attachment 174108

But doesn't this require a HAM license? Testing? Etc?

I'm not really interested in getting into Amateur Radio, taking lots of tests, etc. Just want something I can use. I do understand that the Baofeng Ham handhelds are great radios, but not sure I want to do the whole "ham radio" thing and darn sure my family members would rebel to that for simple outdoors communications.

ONE NICE FEATURE WITH MOST OF THE LTE radio systems is that they include a GPS location. So if you get into a crash, or have a medical emergency, and need some help, the GPS location is going to get a rescue group to your approximate location.

This is NOT QUITE as good as the SPOT X, which, for a modest fee, gives me emergency evacuation and rescue for about $30/year, but at least I can expect an ambulance to get close to where I am if I'm along side a roadway and in serious injury and trauma. With the SPOT X my fee includes actual medical rescue, helicopter transport, etc. The LTE phones just tell your loved ones where you are. It doesn't provide any sort of rescue.

Last edited:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We carry a spot communicator in each of our trail groomers as they're pretty much the only reliable option up here for communication. Cellular coverage is non existent as soon as you drive 5 minutes from any paved road so lte service would be unreliable at best.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We carry a spot communicator in each of our trail groomers as they're pretty much the only reliable option up here for communication. Cellular coverage is non existent as soon as you drive 5 minutes from any paved road so lte service would be unreliable at best.
Well that is where SPOT shines, in places where there is zero communication. But the LTE should be reliable in 90-ish percent of the Continental USA. Not much of Canada or Alaska.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
But doesn't this require a HAM license? Testing? Etc?

I'm not really interested in getting into Amateur Radio, taking lots of tests, etc. Just want something I can use. I do understand that the Baofeng Ham handhelds are great radios, but not sure I want to do the whole "ham radio" thing and darn sure my family members would rebel to that for simple outdoors communications.

ONE NICE FEATURE WITH MOST OF THE LTE radio systems is that they include a GPS location. So if you get into a crash, or have a medical emergency, and need some help, the GPS location is going to get a rescue group to your approximate location.

This is NOT QUITE as good as the SPOT X, which, for a modest fee, gives me emergency evacuation and rescue for about $30/year, but at least I can expect an ambulance to get close to where I am if I'm along side a roadway and in serious injury and trauma. With the SPOT X my fee includes actual medical rescue, helicopter transport, etc. The LTE phones just tell your loved ones where you are. It doesn't provide any sort of rescue.
Not as long as you stay on the correct channels and power limits. If you go off band then that's a different than FRS or GMRS
Grms does require license though. I just do the frms channels

linkey

The FCC requires a GMRS radio license as a way to regulate frequencies that are used by two-way radio devices. Before operating a GMRS radio, a consumer must have a valid license. Any radio using the shared FRS/GMRS frequencies that is able to transmit above 2 Watts of power was reclassified as GMRS only after the recent FCC Changes in September 2017. GMRS radios can be handhelds or in-unit mobile radios.

We know the FCC website is a confusing place, so we are here to help demystify the GMRS licensing process. Fair warning, this might be dry but it is important information! Stick with us!

TOP GMRS LICENSE TAKE-A-WAYS​

• Applicant must be 18+
• Not a representative of a foreign government
• Only available to individuals, aka no new business GMRS license (there are some that are grandfathered in, but that’s a different story circa 1987)
• No test, just payment; $35 and good for 10 years
• License covers you and your immediate family (husband, wife, kids, siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles, you get the point!)
• If you have been convicted of a felony in the past, you will need to disclose more information as to the context of the charges (this does not mean you will automatically denied)
• And finally, follow the rules set forth by the FCC

WAIT, WHAT ARE THE FCC RULES?​

• If an authorized FCC representative request to inspect a GMRS station (This means anything GMRS; handheld, mobile unit, base units, etc), the operator must make the station and any station records available
• No messages in connection with any activity which is against Federal, State, or local law
• No false or deceptive messages
• No coded messages with hidden meanings (“10 codes” are permissible – CB users, you know what we mean but for those of you scratching your head check this link for a 10 Code List)
• No music, whistling, sound effects or material to amuse or entertain
• No ads or offers for the sale of goods or services
• No ads for political candidate or political campaign
• No international distress signals (like Mayday) unless in a vehicle in immediate danger
• No communicating with stations in the Amateur Radio Service, any unauthorized station, or to any foreign station
• No continuous or uninterrupted transmissions (unless communications have to do with the immediate safety of life or property)
• No messages for public address systems
• Must identify using FCC-assigned call sign at the end of transmissions and at periodic intervals during transmissions

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Well that is where SPOT shines, in places where there is zero communication. But the LTE should be reliable in 90-ish percent of the Continental USA. Not much of Canada or Alaska.
The carriers say it available to 90 pct of the population. large swaths of Eastern Oregon have no signal. No people = no need = no money spent. Wandering around in N Nevada this last year large tracts are uncovered. I tend to play in those areas.

If we (snowcat people) could organize we could license one of the VHF or UHF National iterate frequencies and get much better unit to unit than frs/gmrs. But that requires herding cats......

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know about all that stuff, but my son Ty offered to give me a 75 pound/ham shortwave radio.
What would I do with this?
I used to listen to my little Grundig Yachtboy until it finally puked.

Off topic, sorry 😄☺️
IMG_20240205_224720.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The carriers say it available to 90 pct of the population. large swaths of Eastern Oregon have no signal. No people = no need = no money spent. Wandering around in N Nevada this last year large tracts are uncovered. I tend to play in those areas.

If we (snowcat people) could organize we could license one of the VHF or UHF National iterate frequencies and get much better unit to unit than frs/gmrs. But that requires herding cats......
Just to clarify, because this thread has wandered around a bit.

Are you saying that LTE has no coverage in large swatch of Eastern Oregon?

SPOT and Iridium based Satellite communicators should have 100% coverage in that area. In theory the new Motorola Defy Satellite communicator should also have coverage in that area.

ALSO, for you and for @tommu56 what is the actual range of a handheld GMRS, FRS, VHF or UHF radio? I thought those were pretty limited to a couple miles in rugged terrain and up to 20. HAM can extend that significantly, even world wide, by bouncing off repeater towers but the signal needs to get to the repeater?

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
With the limited exception of starlink, (at the moment) LTE is terrestrial based using conventional cell sites. Starlink is supposed to be fielding a direct to cell using a version of LTE. I have not seen it myself. Couple of other satellite systems are working on it. BUt, it will require multimode phones to work properly.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
With the limited exception of starlink, (at the moment) LTE is terrestrial based using conventional cell sites. Starlink is supposed to be fielding a direct to cell using a version of LTE. I have not seen it myself. Couple of other satellite systems are working on it. BUt, it will require multimode phones to work properly.

Pretty sure that is where the industry is going.

-- Apple's iPhone 14 already works with Globalstar (SPOT) satellite system and has begun advertising confirmed rescues using the new iPhones that sent out emergency calls direct to a satellite.​

-- T-Mobile has teamed up with Elon Musk's Starling satellite system, no products have been released yet.​
-- Bullitt/Motorola is teamed up with Skylo satellite system, there are multiple commercial, military, emergency products and rumors of a consumer cell phone to be released.​

I suspect inside of 2 years we will see a convergence of Cellular/LTE and Satellite technology. Right now we have Zoleo 2 way satellite communicators that use cellular and WiFi. Garmin's new messenger app, on a smartphone, when connected up to the new Garmin Messenger or the inReach Mini2, allow for communication through satellite, cell and wifi. But as these all converge, what will be the point of owning any satellite communicator, it an all be built right into a cellphone.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just to clarify, because this thread has wandered around a bit.

Are you saying that LTE has no coverage in large swatch of Eastern Oregon?

SPOT and Iridium based Satellite communicators should have 100% coverage in that area. In theory the new Motorola Defy Satellite communicator should also have coverage in that area.

ALSO, for you and for @tommu56 what is the actual range of a handheld GMRS, FRS, VHF or UHF radio? I thought those were pretty limited to a couple miles in rugged terrain and up to 20. HAM can extend that significantly, even world wide, by bouncing off repeater towers but the signal needs to get to the repeater?

@Melensdad yes about 5 miles in optimum conditions so practically 2 miles

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
@Melensdad yes about 5 miles in optimum conditions so practically 2 miles
That's what I thought.

I'm looking for across the state/country communication in an emergency. That is what attracted me to satellite communicators. They have an SOS button, which ties to a service that will come rescue you.

But they also allow you to send a message to anyone with a phone # and if you have 2 Satellite Communicators and each is assigned a phone number (NOT all have dedicated phone numbers), you can send a message directly to that communicator.

These LTE radio units allow similar communication, with simple PUSH TO TALK access, across the nation, but only if there is cell service. That leaves out wide swaths of remote land, which @Cidertom points out. Still, in many areas it would be a good back up communicator for family units.