• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

KT-3 dry sump oil system

KT3survivor

Finally finished the dry sump conversion on my Kristi. It consists of a CB performance 2 stage oil pump, smaller diameter CB crank pully to accomodate the thicker pump, a one gallon tank from OBP, cooler block off plate, oil filter and external cooler from Empi along with two Spal 4" electric fans. Plumbed everything with -8AN braided line. I fabricated the cooler mount/fan shroud and a floor mount for the tank to prevent the system from draining back into the case. The cooler is mounted to the body vent keeping everything looking stock on the outside and everything has welded nuts on the backside for much easier removal/installation. The system now holds over 7 quarts of oil and will maintain pressure on a much steeper angle for longer periods of time versus the stock 2.5 quart wet sump.
KT-3's have a very low gear set and will climb + 100% grades no problem. now the oil system can keep up as long as needed on those angles.
IMG_20210106_194311.jpg
IMG_20210110_190026.jpg
IMG_20210117_075618.jpg
IMG_20210128_195236.jpg
IMG_20210204_174841.jpg
IMG_20210214_150155.jpg
IMG_20210219_202322.jpg

PJL

That looks very nice. There is a SnoTrac in my area that was plagued with overheating and high oil temp problems. Ill pass this along.

KT3survivor

That looks very nice. There is a SnoTrac in my area that was plagued with overheating and high oil temp problems. Ill pass this along.
I dont know much about the snow trac engine bay but i bet you could fit a bigger 4 gearset pump. I would if I had the room.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Not to hijack the Kristi thread, but I did an oil cooler mod in my ST4. I wasn't having cylinder over temp, but my oil temp kept getting near/at max sustained. Cylinder temps (#1,3) stayed about where they were last season, but my oil temp was much lower during testing last weekend. If anything, cylinder #3 was running cooler, but I didn't have digital gauge on it, just the analog.

Attachments

• KIMG0447.JPG
    KIMG0447.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 72

KT3survivor

just a quick update. new oil system works very well. we ran it hard last march. driving the long climb (i wanna say its 7 miles one way all uphill) on resolution creek road for the colorado snowcat jamboree. passing other cats each day along the way. oil pressure stayed up. no leaks. fans seem to do the job. still need to add my oil temp gauge but im pretty satisfied with the system so far. deffinetely a worthwhile investment for any aircooled snowcat in my opinion.

Snowy Rivers

A sweet deal....Dry sumps definitely help keep the oil where it needs to be....especially when operating at high angles

Kenncrew

just a quick update. new oil system works very well. we ran it hard last march. driving the long climb (i wanna say its 7 miles one way all uphill) on resolution creek road for the colorado snowcat jamboree. passing other cats each day along the way. oil pressure stayed up. no leaks. fans seem to do the job. still need to add my oil temp gauge but im pretty satisfied with the system so far. deffinetely a worthwhile investment for any aircooled snowcat in my opinion.
I recently got my Kristi up and running and getting hot is an issue for mine too as I guess it is for all air cooled. When I bought it I thought VW motor that's great no worries about coolant. I wrapped my exhaust and that helped allot.

Rover’n

I recently got my Kristi up and running and getting hot is an issue for mine too as I guess it is for all air cooled. When I bought it I thought VW motor that's great no worries about coolant. I wrapped my exhaust and that helped allot.
Congrats on getting your Kristi up and running this season. I’ve seen the pics from Joseph, OR and it looks great. What product did you use to wrap the exhaust? Are you happy with the support bracket? I need to devise something similar on our KT-3. As far as running hot, ours seems sensitive proper timing and tuning.