• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

IMP carb conversion weber alternate

BoyToys

I've read where several people convert their stock Solex carb over to a Weber 32ICH, but after spending a lot of time on the web I cannot find any supplier that has these. 34ICH...yes, plentiful. But no 32's. The 32 is a smaller diameter venturi(?) which in theory would lend itself to shifting the torque band down to lower rpms.
Found this supplier over in Europe, lots and lots and lots of information, parts, carbs, kits, etc. Here's a link to a 34ICH they sell made for the old Ford Transit and SAAB 96 that had 1.7 liter Ford V4 engines. Complete conversion kit, reasonably priced. I suspect this would work fine, maybe not ideal.........but reaching out for your experiences if you've gone down that path.

NDjim

I'm interested to see what others say about this theory. I believe if you go to small, you will lose HP, so its a trade off??

BoyToys

I'm interested to see what others say about this theory. I believe if you go to small, you will lose HP, so its a trade off??
Maybe a little hp loss, but people often confuse horse power with torque...torque actually being the "grunt" in power delivery. We want that power down at the lower rpms for obvious reasons. If you're running a high rpm engine then you want that power delivery at the top, using a larger diameter carb and you sacrifice low end power. I messed with Webers many many decades ago on British cars and they're dependable and easily jetted for altitude, etc. But it's been a long time and I need to reboot my aging memory banks.

NDjim

Maybe a little hp loss, but people often confuse horse power with torque...torque actually being the "grunt" in power delivery. We want that power down at the lower rpms for obvious reasons. If you're running a high rpm engine then you want that power delivery at the top, using a larger diameter carb and you sacrifice low end power. I messed with Webers many many decades ago on British cars and they're dependable and easily jetted for altitude, etc. But it's been a long time and I need to reboot my aging memory banks.
Yes, i understand the concept..... just saying.....

BoyToys

Yes, i understand the concept..... just saying.....
Gotcha. The problem with social media, we dont always know the knowledge level of people were talking to.
My Solex is working fine but would rather have something a bit more modern and tunable with readily available parts. Isn't that what we do, spend out time worrying about parts for these old machines?

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
carbs unlimited, has new weber, made in Spain, real weber, both manual and auto choke 32/36 $ 286 plus shipping, have bought several over the years with excellent service, if that don't have it, then no one has what you are looking for, then buying used is the only option

I have put one of the 32/36 webers on a V`-4 with excellent results

BoyToys

Ok, that's why I started this thread to hear options. The only conversion I've heard of so far was using apparently unobtainium 32ICH and I figured a 34ICH would maybe substitute. A hundred zillion years ago I ran with a DGV 32/36 on my MGB so am (or was) familiar with those, though using a 2 barrel carb on an Imp I figured would be overkill. But apparently not since you've been there.

Care to share any particulars? Do they bolt up to the manifold ok or need an adaptor plate? And if you know off the top of your head, what jetting etc. have you used as a ballpark starting point?

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
as I recalled it fitted up without a adaptor plate, I re jetted down to the 32 specs, presto-change-O a "32"

all easy, as you have been there

carbs unlimited know their stuff and carry every you will need

Last edited:

BoyToys

carbs unlimited, has new weber, made in Spain, real weber, both manual and auto choke 32/36 $ 286 plus shipping, have bought several over the years with excellent service, if that don't have it, then no one has what you are looking for, then buying used is the only option

I have put one of the 32/36 webers on a V`-4 with excellent results
Wellll....the 32/36 carbs are a rectangular 4 bolt attachment to the manifold. Can't possibly work on a Ford V4 in an Imp with stock manifold for the stock small Solex with only two bolts spaced 64mm apart. Maybe you're remembering a different application.
I'm still thinking the best bet in absence of the 32ICH would be using the 34ICH with 27mm venturi. Dellortoshop.com has them, everyone else just has the 29mm version.
Weber carb numbers for the 34ICH with 27mm venturi is 15290.029 (kit) or 15290.034 (carb only).
All just for the sake of discussion for inquiring minds.

Last edited:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
sounds like you got it figured out, sorry for the misinformation, you are correct it was a 34 ICH, with a 2 bolt pattern, etc etc etc, you probably did not need my help at all

Last edited:

BoyToys

sounds like you got it figured out, sorry for the misinformation, you are correct it was a 34 ICH, with a 2 bolt pattern, etc etc etc, you probably did not need my help at all
Nah, help is always appreciated! Anything to expand my knowledge banks and get my old brain clicking. Thanks!