• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Electric Lawnmower

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I've been looking at electric walk behind mowers for my trimming for some time to replace my venerable old Lawnboy. My old shoulder bursitis and recoil starters do not go together. LOL.

I've alway felt Ego was the best one but after looking at them I decided as nice as they are and well built they are too heavy to use as a trimming mower. So I checked out the Ryobi 40V line and decided the 20" was light enough and maneuverable enough to fit my purpose.

I'm a huge fan of good quality battery operated tools and this lawnmower is a great addition. Cuts nice, the 6 AH battery runs for 45 minutes as per my test. I used it in my field where I normally cut with my tractor and it cut around 13,000 square feet which I will never ever come close to doing again.

IMG_0603.jpeg

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I just bought the same one for the same reasons. I like how the height adjusts (all 4 wheels with one lever) and it goes pretty high which will be good for my swampy area. It's lighter than my cheap gas one... I'd been thinking of screwing another set of wheels to the wheels to help with floatation on that one.

Ross 650

Site Supporter
I have had a 21" Kobalt for about 5 years now. I use it for my small back yard. It is a 40 volt battery. It also has the one lever which levels all 4 wheels. So far it has been perfect. Hope yours work as good and as long as mine. I dont know how long the battery will last but so far it is as good as the day I bought it..

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We have a 21" electric walk behind that I bought about a half dozen years ago. I got it when I was house flipping and needed something easy to transport to take care of lawns. Much easier to move about. We don't use it much anymore but it does work great. Got it at Home Depot. Can't recall the brand, but it is a 60volt unit. Easy to use, quite, essentially no maintenance. I have a small snowblower that uses the same battery.

I have both gas (Stihl) and electric (Ryobi) blowers. The gas has much more powerful, the electric is easier. I use the electric far more often.

I have both gas (Stihl) and electric (Ryobi) chainsaws. The gas is much more powerful, the electric is easier. I probably use both equally. Gas for bigger/harder jobs.

I switched to electric for pole saw and for hedge trimmers. Neither are used much. Electric is much easier. For modest tasks, which is all I've ever used either tool for, electric is good enough.

Last edited:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I have a small collection of non running gas weed wackers sitting down at the garage. It's hard for me to justify putting sweat and back breaking cord pulling when I can grab my 60v battery operated weed wacker and do 3 acres of trimming around the edge of the property on one charge. I have a battery chainsaw as well as 4 gasoline powered ones. I leave 2 at camp and have 2 at come for bigger stuff but for regular yard work, it is so easy to throw the trimmer and chainsaw in the back of the sxs and drive around the yard. I can easily stop and take care of any trimming or trees that need trimming without messing around with gas and trying to start it.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I've seen a few robotic electric mowers now on my Instagram feed. Still kind of expensive but if they get to the point where they work as good as a house robot vacuum cleaner then I am going to try one. I prefer all my electric yard tools to my gas ones by far. I only use my gas blower for the really big projects and my chain saw for big trees. My electric pole pruner is a beast and I use it all the time.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hello!
Yes, Ryobi is a good brand, I agree. I wonder if they have trimmers for hedges? and just as good? I'm just looking for a trimmer
I have a 40-volt Ryobi hedge trimmer.

It works very very well. I would not get an 18-volt hedge trimmer, it would not have enough run time/power. But the 40-volt Ryobi has hedge trimmer has been working very well for me for several years. We bought it cheap, from Facebook Marketplace, lightly used, but looked brand new. I got it with a 40volt Ryobi chain saw. The chain saw has a 14" or 16" bar and is my favorite light duty chain saw.

I also have a Ryobi 40-volt pole saw, it is just "ok" but not great. The chain slips off too easily. I have a 40-volt Ryobi string trimmer, rarely use it, but it works.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I bought an "ATLAS" from Harbor freight three years ago. Runs great.

Very light weight and easy to handle. It doesn't have power to the wheels so my Thick lawn in St Peters was work to push it through. So I took it to Hippie-Ridge where it is excellent on the "lawn" part because it is so lightweight.

I'll keep the Husky for home use but the relatively thin grass lawn around the campers, and numerous trees, is a breeze.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe next go I will try a battery mower, I been using a plug in electric mower for about 10 years or longer now and can't kill it, no matter how much I have abused it, I have mowed down thick weeds 4' high. I bought it when the kids still lived here because for whatever reason the excuse the grass didn't get cut was " the mower wouldn't start.