• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Dept of Energy wants to eliminate inexpensive home water heaters

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well apparently they are affordable, but they are not super efficient.

So since they are not ultra-efficient appliances the US Dept of Energy is looking to ban them. I understand that, as someone who can actually afford things. But what about the majority of Americans who live life paycheck-to-paycheck? How do they pay for the high priced super efficient appliances?

There is more to the story than is quoted below. Please see the DAILY WIRE for the full story, plus updates and other news about crap topics coming out of the White House.

Energy Dept. Proposes Rule Cracking Down On Water Heaters

Ben WhiteheadJul 23, 2023
The Department of Energy (DOE) announced on Friday a plan to crack down on home hot water heaters, part of a string of proposed rules from the Biden administration on appliances that critics warn will limit consumer power.
The new proposed rule would tighten requirements for water heaters, dictating that “most common-sized electric water heaters to achieve efficiency gains with heat pump technology and gas-fired instantaneous water heaters to achieve efficiency gains through condensing technology,” according to a press release from the agency...
“Today’s actions — together with our industry partners and stakeholders — improve outdated efficiency standards for common household appliances, which is essential to slashing utility bills for American families and cutting harmful carbon emissions,” Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm said in a statement...
While DOE said the proposed standards would “accelerate deployment” of electric heat pump water heaters, Fox News reported they would force cheaper gas heaters off the market. ...
Rep. Thomas Massie (R-KY) said the Biden administration should “Leave us alone,” ...
“These products already exist in the free market,” the congressman said. “Consumers should decide whether the upfront cost of a heat-pump water heater is worth the possible long term savings. In many cases, the monthly savings never make up for the upfront cost of the equipment.”
DOE said the new rule would go into effect in 2029 ...
The Biden administration has finalized or proposed 18 different efficiency standards for a variety of products, DOE said. These include gas stoves, air conditioners, washing machines, and refrigerators, per Fox News. . .

• Wow
Reactions: Doc

power1

All politicians know there are no poor people in the U.S. Just look around any airport where the private jets are parked. Not a single poor person in sight.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
A comparison would be;
Though they cost a lot more lately than they should, eggs are a good, relatively worthwhile, and cost-effective form of nutrition.
But for our own good, and that of the planet, this government would mandate caviar.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Priced out water heaters at Home Depot today.

Looks like tankless heaters cost 2 to 3 times the price of a 30 gallon gas heater. I suppose that when I replace them in my apartment complexes the rents are going to go up.

Government is doing a nice job of making housing less affordable and hurting the working families.

power1

Priced out water heaters at Home Depot today.

Looks like tankless heaters cost 2 to 3 times the price of a 30 gallon gas heater. I suppose that when I replace them in my apartment complexes the rents are going to go up.

Government is doing a nice job of making housing less affordable and hurting the working families.
A few years ago I bought fifty electric tankless heaters planning on reselling them. I sold one for $40 and the rest are in my barn.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I've been water heater shopping for a couple of years.
Tankless need to be cleaned yearly. If you are replacing a gas tank type, you will need a bigger gas line. Once you open that can of worms, codes have changed and All the gas line may need to be replaced.
Electric tankless need some very expensive wiring and often 3 parallel runs of it. New breakers etc.

I don't want a heat pump sucking the heat out of the basement. In winter that heat cost a bunch to make and the basement is already cool in the summer.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Tankless do not need to be cleaned yearly. Run a water softener, even on city water.
Mine has been operating just fine for at least 14 years now.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tankless do not need to be cleaned yearly. Run a water softener, even on city water.
Mine has been operating just fine for at least 14 years now.
My 80 gallon tank has never been cleaned. 28+ years old.